    discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

    Thank you in advance for any information.

    Chris

    TaoSurfer, May 29, 2004

  2. TaoSurfer

    Guest

    TaoSurfer <> wrote:
    > I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
    > if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?

    > I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
    > infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
    > sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
    > image quality problems.

    > I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
    > discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

    > Thank you in advance for any information.

    A friend of mine shoots some very interesting infrared photos with a
    Minolta Dimage 7 that she bought recently off of eBay. Her photos are
    on the web, but I don't have the URL available right now. Write to me
    via private email and I will let you know what the URL is so you can
    view these photos if you are interested.

    , May 29, 2004

  3. TaoSurfer

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On 29 May 2004 21:18:24 GMT, (TaoSurfer) wrote:

    > I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
    > if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?
    >
    > I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
    > infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
    > sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
    > image quality problems.
    >
    > I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
    > discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any information.

    To see whether or not a digital camera can "see" infra red, grab a TV remote
    control, point it at the camera, push a button and take a picture.

    If you can see a white light at the end of the remote, then the camera is good
    for IR photography.

    Ken Oaf, May 29, 2004
  4. TaoSurfer

    Crownfield Guest

    wrote:

    > TaoSurfer <> wrote:
    > > I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
    > > if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?

    > > I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
    > > infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
    > > sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
    > > image quality problems.

    > > I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
    > > discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

    > > Thank you in advance for any information.

    > A friend of mine shoots some very interesting infrared photos with a
    > Minolta Dimage 7 that she bought recently off of eBay. Her photos are
    > on the web, but I don't have the URL available right now. Write to me
    > via private email and I will let you know what the URL is so you can
    > view these photos if you are interested.

    Dimage 7 works very well with an 89 b filter.
    the electronic viewfinder is an asset, because you can see through the
    ir filter.

    my s2 pro also does ir pictures, but with the optical viewfinder,
    you have to put the ir filter in after you compose. autoexposure
    certainly works, and auto focus should work.

    Crownfield, May 30, 2004
  5. On 29 May 2004 21:18:24 GMT, (TaoSurfer) wrote:

    >I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
    >if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?
    >
    >I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
    >infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
    >sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
    >image quality problems.
    >
    >I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
    >discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?
    >
    >Thank you in advance for any information.
    >
    >Chris

    If you wanna go all the way, check out

    http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRCameras.htm

    That's where I picked up my IR dedicated Sony F717. It's great!

    Between the more expensive F828 and this camera, you won't find any
    greater sensitivity to IR.

    Geo

    sitswithchickens, May 30, 2004
  6. TaoSurfer

    stewy Guest

    "TaoSurfer" <> wrote in message
    > I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was

    wondering
    > if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital

    camera?

    > I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
    > infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
    > sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
    > image quality problems.
    >
    > I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
    > discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

    Try the Sony S-70, discontinued a couple of years ago - it works very well
    with my Hoya R72 filter - and you can pick up a used one on ebay for around
    $150. The S-85 is probably very similar.

    stewy, May 30, 2004
  7. TaoSurfer

    Lucas Sweany Guest

    My Olympus C4000Z takes decent IR pics with a Hoya R72 filter. In most
    conditions you must use a very long exposure however. You may out some
    of the IR pics I have taken here:

    http://cgi-this.com/pictures/webgal_cgi.pl?dir=nir

    Lucas

    In article <>,
    says...

    Lucas Sweany, Jun 1, 2004
  8. Ken Oaf <> writes:

    >To see whether or not a digital camera can "see" infra red, grab a TV remote
    >control, point it at the camera, push a button and take a picture.

    >If you can see a white light at the end of the remote, then the camera is good
    >for IR photography.

    That's a poor test, since probably every digital camera made is
    sensitive enough to IR to see the LED in a remote when it's pointed at
    the camera. All silicon sensors are sensitive to IR, and cameras with
    IR filters still pass *some* IR.

    But the remaining sensitivity determines whether a camera is useful for
    IR photography. Exposure times could be a fraction of a second or
    minutes, and the IR remote test won't tell you this.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jun 1, 2004