Infrared Monitor start failure / "IrDA Protocol" missing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian Wu, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Ian Wu

    Ian Wu Guest

    Hi,

    I want to connect my cell-phone to my Computer via infrared connection.

    WinXP correctly identify my USB infrared device in the DeviceManager, shown
    as "Infrared Devices = > SigmaTel USB-IrDA dongle #2".

    The problem is with establishing a connection with my cell phone, and my
    other infrared devices. Normally, when 2 infrared transceivers are put
    together, there should be an icon appeared on the taskbar, but this time.
    the icon appear doesn't appear. Which i suspect this is caused by the
    failure of starting windows service called "infrared monitor".

    This "infrared monitor" service depends on 3 services - IrDA protocol,
    Remote Procedure Call, Terminal Service. I have successfully started Remote
    procedure Call and Terminal Service, but I don't see a service called "IrDA
    protocol" in there.

    I checked the Event Viewer, It displayed with the following message:

    " The Infrared Monitor service depends on the IrDA Protocol service which
    failed to start because of the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified."

    I have tried to put in the windows XP CD to repair all the system files, and
    do the sfc /scannow to check the system files. But they still doesn't help.
    It seems that the "missing file" is not related to the winXP system at
    all...
    Probably, the "irda protocol service" could be somehow installed in to the
    winXP, but i don't know how.

    If anyone knows the solution to this problem please let me know.

    Thanks in advnace for helping.

    Ian Wu
    Ian Wu, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Ian Wu

    Sinner Guest

    It's a protocol like TCP/IP or NetBEUI. It must be added to your connection
    settings like any other protocol.

    Sinner, Nov 7, 2003