    Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

    Cheers
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
    > It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_alcatel_735.jsp
    >
    > What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
    > transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
    >
    > Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

    Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.
    It needs to be enabled (on my Dell, there is a BIOS setting to enable
    it; it's off by default for some reason).
    Then you need the phone drivers (AFAIK) to create a modem that
    communicates through the IR port. Or perhaps the phone works as a modem
    automatically, but you would still have to create a modem.
    Some phones come with software (my Nokia 6610 did) but I understand some
    don't, you have to buy it, maybe with the USB cable.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 26, 2003

  3. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
    >> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
    >> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_alcatel_735.jsp
    >>
    >> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
    >> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
    >>
    >> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

    > Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

    Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
    I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

    > It needs to be enabled (on my Dell, there is a BIOS setting to enable
    > it; it's off by default for some reason).
    > Then you need the phone drivers (AFAIK) to create a modem that
    > communicates through the IR port. Or perhaps the phone works as a modem
    > automatically, but you would still have to create a modem.
    > Some phones come with software (my Nokia 6610 did) but I understand some
    > don't, you have to buy it, maybe with the USB cable.

    The phone came with all the software, but seems to be decidedly lacking on
    documentation for connecting it (it has masses of documentation for other
    features though :) )

    I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
    stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
    cluttering up my desk...

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 26, 2003
  4. SomebodyElse

    C Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:08:04 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    >>> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
    >>> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
    >>> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_alcatel_735.jsp
    >>>
    >>> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
    >>> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
    >>>
    >>> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

    >> Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

    >Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
    >I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

    Its an external device which you usually plug into a USB port.

    They normally go for around $40 for trademe. Do a search for "irda" on
    trademe and you'll see a few for auctio for between $35-$60

    Probably more useful than a USB cable as the irda port isn't tied into
    one specific phone (i.e. you can use it with other phones if you
    upgrade) or other devices (Palm's etc....)

    C, Dec 26, 2003
  5. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:31:54 GMT, C wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:08:04 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>> Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:

    >>> Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

    >>Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
    >>I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

    > Its an external device which you usually plug into a USB port.
    >
    > They normally go for around $40 for trademe. Do a search for "irda" on
    > trademe and you'll see a few for auctio for between $35-$60
    >
    > Probably more useful than a USB cable as the irda port isn't tied into
    > one specific phone (i.e. you can use it with other phones if you
    > upgrade) or other devices (Palm's etc....)

    Great thanks for that. I'd rather get an infrared port that a cable for
    that reason, as well as the clutter, I just didn't know what I was looking
    for.

    Yes, there are a few on trademe, and now I know what I'm looking for I can
    look for new ones too. But I think trademe will probably be pretty good,
    looking at the prices (it's the postage that can be the problem sometimes)

    It seems to be a lot cheaper than buying a data cable for the phone anyway
    (I think they told me it'd be something like $80 or $90 - which I thought
    was a bit steep....)

    Thanks for your help
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, Dec 26, 2003
  6. SomebodyElse

    KS Guest

    SomebodyElse wrote:
    > Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
    > It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_alcatel_735.jsp

    Say, how goes the phone and pxt ? Worthwhile ?

    I was looking at one of the 735, but was concerned the buttons would be a
    little small for texting. Is the display big enuf ? Ta.

    KS, Dec 26, 2003
  7. SomebodyElse <> wrote in message news:<eq6jbd69ncdz$>...

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > >> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
    > >> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
    > >> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

    > > Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

    > Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
    > I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

    Nope; wireless networking is a totally different thing. Aaron is
    referring to a port which you find on the motherboard of many modern
    PCs which allows you to connect an infrared adaptor and mount it on
    the housing of your PC. From what I understand, these adaptors are
    cheap but difficult to get hold of because you need to get the right
    one to suit your motherboard.

    To save all this hassle, it might be easier to just get a USB-infrared
    (IrDA) adaptor which you can pick up at a place like Dick Smith or
    Ascent for around $60. Unfortunately, if you're using a Mac then this
    might not work because I haven't ever managed to find a USB-infrared
    adaptor that's Mac compatible (if anyone knows of one, I'd appreciate
    the info).

    > I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
    > stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
    > cluttering up my desk...

    Check the price before you order one of these as many of them are
    extremely expensive.

    Alastair Foster, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > > Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

    > Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
    > I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

    Well, I was assuming you had a laptop, which generally have infrared
    port. It's quite a different/more difficult proposition when talking
    about desktops.

    > The phone came with all the software, but seems to be decidedly lacking on
    > documentation for connecting it (it has masses of documentation for other
    > features though :) )

    Pretty standard. I had to muddle my way through it, there was no guide.
    They don't seem to like supporting the PC side of things. The Nokia
    software is also not very well designed - pretty, mostly functional, but
    a mess basically.

    > I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
    > stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
    > cluttering up my desk...

    They are often outrageously expensive also. Dick Smith wanted to charge
    nearly $200 for the cable I wanted, hence the desire to use Infrared!

    Aaron Lawrence, Dec 27, 2003
  9. SomebodyElse

    Pete Guest

    > Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
    > It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
    > http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/gen/mobile_details_alcatel_735.jsp
    >
    > What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
    > transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
    >
    > Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Scott

    Hi Scott,

    I just got a USB Infra Red Module from Dick Smiths to use with the Alcatel
    735 I got my wife for Christmas (quite a funky phone by the way), and so far
    it works fine. You can check it out here:
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8048

    There may well be cheaper options around but I just wanted something quickly
    so that she can get her Outlook Contacts synced up with the phone, and
    couldn't be bothered shopping around.

    Have fun with your 735,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 27, 2003