InfraRed Digital Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nanook, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. Nanook

    Nanook Guest

    I run an ISP and we used to have monthly get togethers at a local
    Godfathers Pizza.

    One of my customers who is big into amature science, Bill Beaty, brought
    a pair of goggles he had made by replacing the lenses of welders goggles with
    IR filter material. These goggles were designed so they had a rubber thing
    that would mesh with your face to block out all light except that which came
    in through the lenses.

    The interesting thing is that the human eye actually is somewhat
    sensitive down into the near infrared range and if you filter out all of the
    light in the visible range, on a bright sunny day outside you can see in the
    infrared.

    Trees are bright, as if they were snow covered. Automotive tail lamps
    just glare.

    Anyway, I decided to try to take pictures with an HP digital camera
    through one of the lenses of these goggles and I succeeded in getting usable
    images.

    The camera responded to the infrared light making it into a range of
    red/purple/bluish. But the trees are bright just as they appeared visually.

    The contrast is much more stark than 35mm infrared photography that I
    have seen. I've posted these on my blog so that you can see them:

    http://www.eskimo.com/~nanook/blog

    Also, if you are interested in seeing Bills Amature Science site it is
    at www.amasci.com. It might give you some ideas. There is a lot of "don't
    try this at home" kind of stuff on his site.

    I am curious who else here has attempted IR with digital and what kind
    of results you have gotten. I couldn't really find a newsgroup dedicated to
    IR photography, let alone digital.

    Nanook, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Nanook

    m Ransley Guest

    Get a true IR filter for your camera
    m Ransley, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Nanook

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    Steve Wolfe, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Nanook wrote in part:

    > I am curious who else here has attempted IR with digital and what kind
    > of results you have gotten. I couldn't really find a newsgroup dedicated to
    > IR photography, let alone digital.

    Welcome to the dark side.

    http://www.lifepixel.com/ ,
    among others.

    Also this rec.photo.digital crackpot:
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/digital_images.php#infrared

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 24, 2006
  5. A lot of digital cameras are still IR sensitive to a greater or lesser
    degree even with an IR blocking filter built into them. You can see the
    results across a range of cameras here:
    <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php>

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Jul 25, 2006
  6. I tested my Nikon 5700 with a remote control and then went out and bought a
    Hoya R72 filter.

    I have played around and found the results to be quite nice.

    I have not done a lot of work in this area, but one thing I was going to
    look into and have yet to set up the proper experiment was to see about
    using the IR to push the contrast of a colour image, or to somehow boost the
    colours. Not proficient enough with Photoshop Elements yet.

    Richard Tomkins, Jul 26, 2006
  7. Richard Tomkins wrote:
    > I tested my Nikon 5700 with a remote control and then went out and bought a
    > Hoya R72 filter.
    >
    > I have played around and found the results to be quite nice.
    >
    > I have not done a lot of work in this area, but one thing I was going to
    > look into and have yet to set up the proper experiment was to see about
    > using the IR to push the contrast of a colour image, or to somehow boost the
    > colours. Not proficient enough with Photoshop Elements yet.

    My comments are based upon use and observation of several digital
    cameras over a three-year period, and not a formal analysis. Here goes
    anyway:

    What you're asking the sensor to do is detect a full-color image, and
    augment it with a bit of IR. If you have observed strange, "Tim
    Burtonish" colors in your Nikon 5700 IR images, they may be the result
    of the electronics trying to make sense of the unusual response of the
    red, green, and blue -filtered sites on the CCD to the IR passband
    energy, plus a sliver of whatever else leaks through the filter. It
    makes for a very weird and colorful image. The general rules of what
    shows up bright in IR are still observed - foliage, clouds, etc.

    Some people have done what I think you're after by taking two images of
    the same scene: one in full color, one in IR. Then they pick the least
    noisy channel from the R, G, and B separation of the IR image and lay
    it electronically atop the color image and perform various operations
    with "Layers" until they get the desired effect. Whew!

    This takes a steady camera setup. Your remote will definitely come in
    handy here, but you still have to be vewwy vewwy careful when putting on
    and taking off the IR filter.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "And now, They have even got a machine that can tell if you're thinking.
    It's called a TV. If it's off, you're guilty." - Rev. Ivan Stang
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 26, 2006