    Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other favorite
    websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use.

    Thanks
    new2IT, Feb 26, 2008

  2. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Having been a Financial Advisor I know that industry information comes
    > from
    > all sorts of places. Being somewhat new to the IT industry I would like
    > get ideas on where everyone gets there industry information from. I use
    > the
    > Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other favorite
    > websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use.
    >
    > Thanks

    I read BOFH on theregister.com. There's a ton of good info there.
    CBIC, Feb 26, 2008

  3. new2IT

    JaR Guest

    On 2/26/2008,CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > > Having been a Financial Advisor I know that industry information
    > > comes from all sorts of places. Being somewhat new to the IT
    > > industry I would like to get ideas on where everyone gets there
    > > industry information from. I use the Microsoft website a lot, but
    > > I would like to know of any other favorite websites, newsletters or
    > > magazines that you guys and gals also use.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I read BOFH on theregister.com. There's a ton of good info there.

    Simon Rules.

    Now if I could just figure out how to hack the elevator like he does....

    --
    JaR
    Or the beancounter's boxen...
    JaR, Feb 27, 2008
  4. "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > Having been a Financial Advisor I know that industry information comes from
    > all sorts of places. Being somewhat new to the IT industry I would like to
    > get ideas on where everyone gets there industry information from. I use the
    > Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other favorite
    > websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use.
    >
    > Thanks

    That all really depends on the type of resources you're looking for. There are
    really too many resources to list in one place. Since you're in a certification
    newsgroup though, I'll presume you're looking for cert related info. Even with
    the field narrowed down, there are still questions that need to be answered
    before anyone can really point you in a direction that would help you. Are you
    looking for study materials? Are you looking for info on a specific
    certification? Do you want to know about a certain exam? Are you looking for
    facts or opinions about any of those?

    --
    Robert Williams
    http://www.CertGuard.com
    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Feb 27, 2008
  5. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    I am looking for actuall industry information, not for study or course info.
    The site that CBIC gave was very interesting and I thank you for giving
    giving it to me. All I want to know is where people in the industry go to to
    learn about new technology coming out or insider information concerning the
    field. I understand that there are probably a lot of sites, I know that
    there was plenty in my previous field as well but I could still narrow it
    down to a handfull that I used all the time.

    new2IT, Feb 27, 2008
  6. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for actuall industry information, not for study or course
    >info.

    One word-google
    CBIC, Feb 27, 2008
  7. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:27:01 -0800, new2IT
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking for actuall industry information, not for study or course info.
    >The site that CBIC gave was very interesting and I thank you for giving
    >giving it to me.

    The BOFH link? Have you got pimples? Position vacant.
    PAJ, Feb 27, 2008
  8. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    Thanks for the incite CBIC, now when I have some spare time I will narrow
    down the 78,400,000 hits that I recieved from google.

    new2IT, Feb 27, 2008
  9. new2IT

    Bill Hileman Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the incite CBIC, now when I have some spare time I will narrow
    > down the 78,400,000 hits that I recieved from google.

    Wow! You have l33t google skilz!!!!
    Bill Hileman, Feb 27, 2008
  10. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:25:00 -0800, new2IT
    <> wrote:

    >Having been a Financial Advisor I know that industry information comes from
    >all sorts of places. Being somewhat new to the IT industry I would like to
    >get ideas on where everyone gets there industry information from. I use the
    >Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other favorite
    >websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use.

    Sites I visit most often:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp
    http://technet.microsoft.com
    http://techrepublic.com.com
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/
    http://www.news.com/
    http://www.vnunet.com/
    http://www.thetechzone.com/

    All are links I got using Google many moons ago.
    PAJ, Feb 27, 2008
  11. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    I can see posting here is a total waste of time.

    new2IT, Feb 27, 2008
  12. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    >I can see posting here is a total waste of time.

    That was fast. It usually takes a n00b alot longer to figure that out.
    CBIC, Feb 27, 2008
  13. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the incite CBIC, now when I have some spare time I will narrow
    > down the 78,400,000 hits that I recieved from google.

    Everyone needs a hobby. Glad I could help.
    CBIC, Feb 27, 2008
  14. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:31:00 -0800, new2IT
    <> wrote:
    >"PAJ" wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:27:01 -0800, new2IT
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am looking for actuall industry information, not for study or course info.
    >> >The site that CBIC gave was very interesting and I thank you for giving
    >> >giving it to me.

    >> The BOFH link? Have you got pimples? Position vacant.
    >>

    >I can see posting here is a total waste of time.

    PFY, rings no bells? Just being light hearted there. No need to get
    bitter.
    I have posted you some links. I use them daily and they provide me with
    all the information I need.
    If you are going to get on in your new profession you will need become
    proficient in the use of search engines and learn to narrow down those
    searches.
    PAJ, Feb 27, 2008
  15. "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for actuall industry information, not for study or course info.
    > The site that CBIC gave was very interesting and I thank you for giving
    > giving it to me. All I want to know is where people in the industry go to to
    > learn about new technology coming out or insider information concerning the
    > field. I understand that there are probably a lot of sites, I know that
    > there was plenty in my previous field as well but I could still narrow it
    > down to a handfull that I used all the time.

    For that sort of info you may want to seek out some of the online news
    communities. Network World is one best. They have Microsoft, Cisco, and Careers
    Subnets that are all geared towards different users and groups, and they also
    have bloggers within each area that report on specific areas of each discipline.

    http://www.networkworld.com
    http://www.networkworld.com/careers/
    http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/microsoft/
    http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/

    Good Luck!!

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Feb 27, 2008
  16. "new2IT" <> wrote in message

    > Having been a Financial Advisor I know that industry information comes from
    > all sorts of places. Being somewhat new to the IT industry I would like to
    > get ideas on where everyone gets there industry information from. I use the
    > Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other favorite
    > websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use.
    >
    > Thanks

    All joking aside, and there were a few good ones here (Fris and CBIC),
    I.T. is a community. And by just being a part of it, information comes
    in all direction -- solicited or not. We are read blogs, RSS feeds,
    website, magazines, whitepapers, porn, etc.. We attend conferences,
    listen to Steve talk about WS2k8, VS2k8, and SQL2k8 like I did this
    morning, or webcasts from Vlad Mazak. It's just there.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 27, 2008
  17. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    I just want to take a minute and go back to a sentence in my original post.

    "I use the Microsoft website a lot, but I would like to know of any other
    favorite
    websites, newsletters or magazines that you guys and gals also use."

    I was not asking for people to tell me to go out and use google or any other
    search engine for that matter, I can do that on my own. And Bill I was being
    facetious concerning the 78 million hits, I do know how to narrow that down
    but I would still get a great deal of hits. All I was asking from the
    "professionals" who post here was what are some of your favorite sites or
    sources you get information from. I do want to thank Robert for his posts
    you responded to my question seriously and did not try to belittle my
    intelligence by saying "one word-google" ,"If you are going to get on in your
    new profession you will need become
    proficient in the use of search engines and learn to narrow down those
    searches" or the best of them all "Wow! You have l33t google skilz!!!!".

    So again thank you Robert for your respnonse and as far as for the rest of
    you who claim to be professionals in the field I ask you one thing, look up
    the word professional and check out the definition.
    new2IT, Feb 27, 2008
  18. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message

    > So again thank you Robert for your respnonse and as far as for the rest of
    > you who claim to be professionals in the field I ask you one thing, look
    > up
    > the word professional and check out the definition.

    two words-lighten up
    CBIC, Feb 27, 2008
  19. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> So again thank you Robert for your respnonse and as far as for the rest
    >> of
    >> you who claim to be professionals in the field I ask you one thing, look
    >> up
    >> the word professional and check out the definition.

    I would also like to add that I don't have time to look words up. I'm a
    highly trained IT professional with a lot of work to do.
    CBIC, Feb 27, 2008
  20. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:31:01 -0800, new2IT
    <> wrote:

    >"Wow! You have l33t google skilz!!!!".

    Thanks :)
    You are not the first to pick up on this.
    PAJ, Feb 27, 2008