    want to know is that,is some prior degree or certificate
    is required for the the MCDST.
    Thank you

    Russel Macmillan, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Russel Macmillan

    Robert Guest

    As with any journey I would recommend starting at the site
    of the person you are trying to earn your certification
    thru. They are the best source of information for you to
    see what you need to do, and a great source of frustration
    reduction for the news group. The URL is
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.asp I
    would start there and then if it can not answer your
    questions then post something here.

    Windows

    Robert, Jun 9, 2004

  3. You may expect to receive this training from your local community college.

    Ron Carswell A+ N+ CTT+ MCSA MCSE CCNA MCDST, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Hi there Russel,

    There are no official prerequisites to get this certification. You'll need to take two tests to get the MCDST certification, 70-271 & 70-272. These tests are a part of the 70-270 course. You can find study guide easily for the 70-270 course, but I think the specific study guides for 271 & 272 are still hard to find. But I'm told there are official books for these courses now. If you look up those specific course numbers on microsoft.com, you'll find a chart that tells you specifically what these tests entail.

    What you need is experiencing in configuring Windows XP. There are some parts that include networking, knowledge of TCP/IP, and more specific configuring of components in Windows XP, as well as networking permissions for files and folders (at lot of .

    The most important thing to remember is the perspective they use in the testing. You are a desktop support technician. People are calling you, like on a tech support hotline, and looking for answers to your companies Windows setup. They don't give you many details, because you have many since they are calling you and you can't see what's going on.

    Plus the answer are multiple choice; any of those answers could work. It's your choice to pick the answer most probable to fix it immediately. But that's how all of the microsoft certification tests are.

    I've been building and troubleshooting PC's for 8/9 years, and I have the most experience with Windows XP. And I didn't have to study for it. But I did look over the material to see what I was in for. Just make sure that you study the guides and understand what the test entails. They usually give you like 3 hours to take a 40 or so question test. You have plenty of time, so use it.

    Hope this helps.

    Adam L.

    Adam L, MCDST, Jun 10, 2004