Information Harvesting at Retail Stores

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Edw. Peach, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    I recall a few years ago some news traveling online about how certain
    companies were harvesting online information and selling it. Some
    were even able to link the email addresses to home addresses.

    I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
    are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
    the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
    from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
    article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
    refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
    necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
    Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
    told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

    I wonder...if any of these companies are gathering this information
    and making it available to someone who wants to send us crap mail to
    our homes as well?
    Edw. Peach, Apr 15, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Edw. Peach

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >I recall a few years ago some news traveling online about how certain
    >companies were harvesting online information and selling it. Some
    >were even able to link the email addresses to home addresses.
    >
    >I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
    >are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
    >the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
    >from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
    >article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
    >refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
    >necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
    >Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
    >told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.
    >
    >I wonder...if any of these companies are gathering this information
    >and making it available to someone who wants to send us crap mail to
    >our homes as well?

    ##########################
    There is no question that's it's all for marketing in one form or
    another. I also refuse to give that information to cashiers. I won't
    even give my zip code, not to mention anything else.
    donnie.
    donnie, Apr 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
    >are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
    >the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
    >from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
    >article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
    >refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
    >necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
    >Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
    >told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.


    I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
    an excellent shop.

    The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
    details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
    and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
    does not attract unsolicited mail.

    I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
    one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
    did not belive I lived there...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 16, 2005
    #3
  4. Edw. Peach

    andy smart Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
    >>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
    >>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses

    >
    >>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that

    >
    >>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
    >>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
    >>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
    >>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
    >>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

    >
    >
    > I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
    > an excellent shop.
    >
    > The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
    > details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
    > and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
    > does not attract unsolicited mail.
    >
    > I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
    > one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
    > did not belive I lived there...
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Of course they didn't! You live at number 10 DowNing street you fool! :)

    In the UK one of the computer shops can't give you a VAT recipt for your
    business unless you give them the full address - but I've not found one
    that asks for that info from 'ordinary' customers. Normally you'd only
    need this for warranty, and you register that directly with the
    maker. Mind you we also have the data protection act which limits and
    constrains the way in which your data is collected/stored/used
    andy smart, Apr 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Edw. Peach

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:37:19 +0100, andy smart
    <> wrote:

    >In the UK one of the computer shops can't give you a VAT recipt for your
    >business unless you give them the full address - but I've not found one
    >that asks for that info from 'ordinary' customers. Normally you'd only
    >need this for warranty, and you register that directly with the
    >maker. Mind you we also have the data protection act which limits and
    >constrains the way in which your data is collected/stored/used


    I have been regularly asked for an address in the UK when buying
    goods retail. Not having a post code makes some anxious.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 18, 2005
    #5
  6. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    Whatever they're doing with this information, they really have the
    cashiers trained to be insistent and persistent.
    Edw. Peach, Apr 19, 2005
    #6
  7. Edw. Peach

    donnie Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 03:49:40 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    wrote:

    >Whatever they're doing with this information, they really have the
    >cashiers trained to be insistent and persistent.

    #############################
    That works with the average customer. It doesn't work w/ me. I'm
    very street wise and I have all the answers. Recently, a cashier
    asked the person before me for his info and didn't even bother to ask
    me. It's all in how you carry yourself.
    donnie.
    donnie, Apr 20, 2005
    #7
  8. Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
    >>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
    >>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
    >>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
    >>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
    >>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
    >>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
    >>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
    >>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.

    >
    > I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
    > an excellent shop.
    >
    > The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
    > details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
    > and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
    > does not attract unsolicited mail.
    >
    > I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
    > one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
    > did not belive I lived there...
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com


    ....ah man don't tell me you are from Boston....that just ruins my day...

    :)
    Michael
    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald
    Michael Pelletier, Apr 20, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cal Cerise
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    386
    Cal Cerise
    Jul 10, 2004
  2. Tru 2 Tha Game
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    348
    Tru 2 Tha Game
    Jul 23, 2004
  3. SMS

    Retail Camera Stores, Why They Are In Trouble

    SMS, Jun 2, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    879
    J. Clarke
    Jun 4, 2006
  4. Online Shopping Retail Stores

    , Nov 24, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    608
    a-stores
    Dec 13, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Inside Microsoft's Retail Stores

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    296
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jul 28, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page