    both wont hold a new charge.

    Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?

    thanks
    S S, Aug 21, 2007

  2. S S

    Yes Baby Guest

    "S S" <> wrote in message
    news:uYGyi.40268$...
    >I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have
    > been charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so
    > I recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?
    >
    > thanks

    I would look at or question the charger............
    Yes Baby, Aug 21, 2007

  3. S S

    GregS Guest

    In article <uYGyi.40268$>, "S S" <> wrote:
    >I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    >They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    >charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    >recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    >It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    >both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    >Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?

    It gets complicted in order to really check them. I recently bought
    an 8 position individualy controlled charger and rejuvanator for $50.
    When batteries get old, they just go bad, especially NiMH in my experiance.
    I just threw out 2/3's of my batteries or about 2 dozen. Buy some new ones
    and compare them against the old ones, I wanted to make the best type
    unit using individual cells and individual light bulbs, and actually compare
    how long the lights stay on.

    greg
    GregS, Aug 21, 2007
  4. S S

    S S Guest

    The 2 sets of 4 were charged on different chargers at the same time.
    And both sets failed.

    S S, Aug 21, 2007
  5. S S

    Morton Guest

    S S wrote:
    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    > charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    > recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?
    >
    > thanks

    Buy a battery tester, making sure that it will test NiMH batteries. They
    are cheap.

    Morton
    Morton, Aug 21, 2007
  6. S S

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:23:06 GMT, S S wrote:

    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    > charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    > recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?

    A completely discharged NiMH cell's capacity is pretty much
    proportional to the amount of time it takes to fully charge it using
    a particular 'smart' charger. So it your charger used to take up to
    3 hours to fully charge the 2,100mAh cells and it now takes no more
    than 1 hour, the effective capacity has dropped to about 700mAh.
    But you need not only a smart charger, you also need one that
    charges individual cells (not pairs of cells) and has a display (LED
    or LCD) that will show you the charge progress and when each
    individual cell has become charged.

    Another way to test the batteries is to put the fully charged
    batteries in other devices (such as flashlights, radios, etc.) and
    see how they perform. If you do this, do *not* use devices that use
    3 or 4 AA cells, as that could possibly damage the batteries.
    Devices that use only a single cell would be ideal, but these aren't
    too common. Devices that use 2 AA cells should be fairly safe.
    Here's an example using a 2 AA cell flashlight. Check the bulb to
    find out how much current it typically draws. This is often
    engraved or printed on the metal base. You could also buy a
    replacement bulb, and the current it requires will be printed on the
    package. Common values might be 250ma, 350ma, 500ma, etc.

    So if you have a 250ma bulb, to keep it powered for about 10 hours
    would require 2,500mAh batteries. When new, fully charged 2,100mAh
    batteries wouldn't power this bulb for more than 8 hours. After
    several years of use you shouldn't be too disappointed if they only
    last for 4 to 6 hours. If not taken care of properly, and your
    Powershot A70 seems to indicate that this may be the case, they
    might power the 250ma bulb for only a few minutes, if that.

    You also may want to rule out the possibility that it's the
    camera, not the batteries that is the source of the problem. A
    fresh set of alkaline AA cells would provide a good test. According
    to the manual, if you don't use the flash and use the optical
    viewfinder instead of the LCD, alkaline batteries should be good for
    about 800 shots. If you use the LCD display and also use the flash
    for about 1/4 of the shots, alkalines should be good for about 250
    shots. (See the A70's manual, page 214). If the camera passes this
    test, either the old NiMH batteries have gone bad or there's a
    problem with the charger(s), but charger problems are much less
    likely to be responsible for your problem. My guess is that you
    just need to retire the old batteries and buy a new set of four. If
    you use the flash a lot, and often, it would be wise to get two sets
    of NiMH batteries. Otherwise just a single set of NiMH batteries
    (with one 4-pack of alkalines for emergency backup) should be enough
    for your Powershot A70.
    ASAAR, Aug 21, 2007
  7. S S

    Charlie Self Guest

    On Aug 21, 4:05 pm, "S S" <> wrote:
    > The 2 sets of 4 were charged on different chargers at the same time.
    > And both sets failed.
    >
    > "Yes Baby" <> wrote in message

    > > "S S" <> wrote in message
    > >>I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > >> They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have
    > >> been charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat
    > >> so I recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > >> It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > >> both wont hold a new charge.

    > >> Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?

    > >> thanks

    > > I would look at or question the charger............

    Without going through all the peregrinations, I'd buy one new set of
    batteries, charge them and put them in the camera. If they work, toss
    both sets of old batteries, buy another new set, charge and go about
    your business. If they don't work, the camera needs checking (since
    you used two chargers).
    Charlie Self, Aug 22, 2007
  8. S S wrote:
    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they
    > have been charged many times but only last week both sets registered
    > as flat so I recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time
    > and both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?
    >
    > thanks

    Sounds like just the sort of problem I had with Uniross.
    Not a brand I would recommend.

    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 22, 2007
  9. ASAAR <> wrote:

    > Another way to test the batteries is to put the fully charged
    > batteries in other devices (such as flashlights, radios, etc.) and
    > see how they perform. If you do this, do *not* use devices that use
    > 3 or 4 AA cells, as that could possibly damage the batteries.

    No, the problem isn't how many batteries, but how many batteries in series.
    Many devices take four batteries, but only two are in series. Two in series
    is plenty safe if the device uses the standard voltage floor of 2.0V.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
    machinations of the wicked.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 22, 2007
  10. S S

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:47:15 GMT, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    >> Another way to test the batteries is to put the fully charged
    >> batteries in other devices (such as flashlights, radios, etc.) and
    >> see how they perform. If you do this, do *not* use devices that use
    >> 3 or 4 AA cells, as that could possibly damage the batteries.

    > No, the problem isn't how many batteries, but how many batteries in series.
    > Many devices take four batteries, but only two are in series. Two in series
    > is plenty safe if the device uses the standard voltage floor of 2.0V.

    That's true, but extremely rare if all four batteries are powering
    the same circuit, so it was assumed to be a series circuit. I don't
    know if that's the kind of device you're talking about or not. I
    have some that use four AA cells in two independent circuits. The
    only device I've ever come across that uses four AA batteries
    arranged to have two groups of 2AA's in parallel was in an Energizer
    flashlight. I only discovered this when I attempted to replace its
    incandescent bulb with an LED bulb that required more than 3 volts
    for normal operation. But such a device wouldn't be very useful for
    trying to locate bad batteries. If you have a device that uses two
    AA batteries in parallel used for testing, the weak battery will be
    supported by the good battery, so it will take much longer for the
    pair to go flat. If you had a good battery that should last 5 hours
    under load and a bad one that will only last 10 minutes, in a series
    circuit the pair will poop out after 10 minutes, at which point it
    should be fairly easy to distinguish the dead battery from the other
    one that still has nearly a full charge. In a parallel circuit, the
    pair might last nearly 5 (or 2 1/2, depending on the actual testing
    load) and when the pair poops out, both cells will be flat, making
    it much harder to tell which is the good and which is the bad cell.
    ASAAR, Aug 22, 2007
  11. ASAAR <> wrote:

    > That's true, but extremely rare if all four batteries are powering
    > the same circuit, so it was assumed to be a series circuit. I don't
    > know if that's the kind of device you're talking about or not. I
    > have some that use four AA cells in two independent circuits. The
    > only device I've ever come across that uses four AA batteries
    > arranged to have two groups of 2AA's in parallel was in an Energizer
    > flashlight. I only discovered this when I attempted to replace its
    > incandescent bulb with an LED bulb that required more than 3 volts
    > for normal operation. But such a device wouldn't be very useful for
    > trying to locate bad batteries. If you have a device that uses two
    > AA batteries in parallel used for testing, the weak battery will be
    > supported by the good battery, so it will take much longer for the
    > pair to go flat. If you had a good battery that should last 5 hours
    > under load and a bad one that will only last 10 minutes, in a series
    > circuit the pair will poop out after 10 minutes, at which point it
    > should be fairly easy to distinguish the dead battery from the other
    > one that still has nearly a full charge. In a parallel circuit, the
    > pair might last nearly 5 (or 2 1/2, depending on the actual testing
    > load) and when the pair poops out, both cells will be flat, making
    > it much harder to tell which is the good and which is the bad cell.

    Nah ... they aren't rare at all. I have a blood pressure cuff with this
    configuration. I can't tell if my Harmony remote does this or not without
    taking it apart, but I suspect not as higher voltage is better for RF/IR
    transmission apparently.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 22, 2007
  12. S S

    Dave Cohen Guest

    S S wrote:
    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    > charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    > recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?
    >
    > thanks

    Cut all the nonsense and just put in a new set of alkalines to make sure
    the camera is ok. If it is then you can worry about what else it might be.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 22, 2007
  13. S S

    S S Guest

    Well had an old set of rechargables and they work fine. So looks like both
    my other sets have just gone bust at the same time. I still think its
    strange though, too much of a coincidence.

    S S, Aug 22, 2007
  14. S S

    Allen Guest

    S S wrote:
    > Well had an old set of rechargables and they work fine. So looks like both
    > my other sets have just gone bust at the same time. I still think its
    > strange though, too much of a coincidence.

    <snip>

    If you bought the two sets at the same time and alternated between the
    them (using one while charging the other) it would seem to me to mean
    that the quality of those batteries was very consistent.
    Allen
    Allen, Aug 23, 2007
  15. S S

    Ron Hunter Guest

    S S wrote:
    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    > charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    > recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?
    >
    > thanks

    Might want to check the charger as well.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 23, 2007
  16. S S <> wrote:
    > Well had an old set of rechargables and they work fine. So looks like both
    > my other sets have just gone bust at the same time. I still think its
    > strange though, too much of a coincidence.

    Did they come from the same LOT (did you buy them at the same time)?

    That might explain why they failed together. Or, perhaps you have a bad
    charger and it damaged both sets of batteries and now you may damaged this set
    soon.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 23, 2007
  17. S S

    SMS Guest

    S S wrote:
    > I have 8 AA batteries (use 4 at a time) for my digital camera.
    > They are Uniross rechargable 2100 mAh, Camera is a CanonA70, they have been
    > charged many times but only last week both sets registered as flat so I
    > recharged and camera states `change batteries`
    > It seems a coincidence that both sets have packed in at the same time and
    > both wont hold a new charge.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this? Any other way to check the batteries?

    If they're 2100 mAH then they're likely fairly old, as that low of a
    capacity isn't widely available any longer. As with Li-Ion, NiMH
    batteries have a limited lifetime based on both time and charge cycles.
    Given that the A70 is rather old, have you been using these 2100 mAH
    cells since they were new?

    They could both be from the same manufacturing lot, which would
    contribute to both failing at the same time, if both sets were rotated
    into service equally.

    There could be a good lesson here as well. Periodically rotate in newer
    sets of batteries, rather than using two sets from the same lot.

    Steve
    "http://batterydata.com"
    SMS, Aug 23, 2007