    Charlie Self
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or
    not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn
    Charlie Self, Jul 11, 2004

  2. otforme (Charlie Self) writes:

    > Another question: I've got a couple of old Vivitar 2000 flash units
    > that I've used in the past on camera hot shoes, fired at the ceiling
    > to set off my studio flash units. I'd like to do something similar
    > with the *ist, but am leery of messing things up. With battery
    > voltage, there shouldn't be much of a problem, but it worries me
    > anyway. Not a mention in the manual, on the Pentax site or the
    > Vivitar site.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what the output voltage on the Vivitar
    > 2000 is? It seems to me that with just four AAs in the flash, it
    > should be well within limits. IIRC, most digital cameras were OK
    > with studio flash voltages up a bit over 9.

    Sorry - I don't know the trigger voltage for that particular
    flash. You may try to contact customer service at Vivitar.

    But please note that the voltage of the batteries you put into
    the flash has /nothing/ to do with its trigger voltage.

    I have a Vivitar 283 manufactured in 1984. It also uses 4 AAs -
    and it has a trigger voltage of around 300 volts! I would be
    very wary of putting an old flash on a digicam.

    A fairly cheap insurance against frying the camera is the Wein
    Safe-Sync (W990560) flash voltage regulator. It cost around $50.

    (I want one! There is no distributor for this locally and B&H wants
    $26 to ship it to Europe with USPS airmail - which is ridiculous.
    Actual USPS shipping cost is more like $4 for such a tiny item. I
    wish somebody would sell these at eBay. Honest merchants at eBay
    ship to Europa with just a small markup on actual USPS rates.)
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 11, 2004