    and change. It states it's "new, USA manufacture w/Canon warranty".

    Input on these folks, good or bad, is appreciated.
    TIA

    Dr Rich, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Dr Rich

    Fred Ziffel Guest

    IMHO, any auction that states a USB card reader is worth $99 raises a red
    flag with me. Those tripods and case aren't worth the powder to blow 'em.
    $30 shipping? OUCH!

    Their latest negative would be enough to turn me off (but what do you expect
    from some shady NY outfit- "since 1995!") but that's just me.

    Good luck if you go for it, nice camera. Report back on your experience
    please.

    Fred Ziffel, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Dr Rich

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    NewEgg.com lists the camera for about $550, no tax, free shipping.
    I would buy it from them and order accessories separately.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Dr Rich

    George Guest

    I consider 96.2 to be a very low rating and would avoid them. Check prices
    at:
    www.pricegrabber.com
    www.pricewatch.com (under "electronics" in upper right corner)
    www.pricescan.com

    George, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Dr Rich

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Dr Rich <> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any purchase experience
    > with "Sunshine Electronics"
    > that lists extensively on Ebay???

    An auction number or seller ID would make
    it easier to check 'em out. This is
    "sunshineelec" ?

    > They have a 96.2 rating,

    Major red flag. Anything less than 99% is
    "guilty until proven innocent". A volume
    seller with less than 98% needs to be
    avoided until you are yourself an experienced
    eBay shopper.

    > ... but when checking all complaints, most
    > were for shipping delays and such.

    Which implies that they don't actually have
    the auction merchandize on hand. They may
    be drop-ship sellers.

    From a typical auction: "Photos of some
    accessories are representational and may not
    reflect actual items shipped. We reserve the
    right to substitute some accessory items for
    those of equal or greater value, based on
    availability." Is any comment required here?

    > Sunshine's responses appeared truthful,

    Also check their Feedback-to-Others. But
    more significantly, consider their feedback
    policy: "Once a feedback is left, we will
    leave a feedback for you."

    This seller holds FB hostage! You can bet
    that if seller posted FB first (my policy as
    a seller) their percentage would be WAY lower
    than the horrible 96% it is now. Most buyers
    are afraid to speak freely, since they have
    to speak first. AVOID any seller with a
    buyer-posts-FB-first policy.

    > They have a Canon G5 ...

    You are aware that digital cameras, LCD monitors,
    plasma TVs, laptops, motorcycles and other hi-end
    consumer toy categories are rife with fraud on eBay.

    In the immortal words of Monty Python:
    "run away!"

    See also:
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/where-to-buy

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Oct 25, 2003
  6. Dr Rich

    Dr Rich Guest

    Thanks all for the input... I figured it was shady but didn't want to
    be paranoid about it.
    Personally, I've never purchased anything on Ebay for just that reason,
    but thought a "legitimate" business might "advertise" there.

    B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h. I've heard their
    reputation's OK.
    I'll check out Newegg.com as Rosita suggested for the lesser price...
    (never heard of them before,,,, thanks though)
    Helped a lot....
    Rich

    Dr Rich, Oct 25, 2003
  7. Dr Rich

    George Guest

    Many legitimate businesses DO sell on eBay. One such business in the photo
    category is Backdrop Outlet -- it is a good way to get a bargain on some
    overstocked backdrop. I believe that both Adorama and B&H sell there as
    well as do some of the well-known used equipment dealers.

    George, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Dr Rich

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Bob Niland wrote:

    > This seller holds FB hostage! You can bet
    > that if seller posted FB first (my policy as
    > a seller) their percentage would be WAY lower
    > than the horrible 96% it is now. Most buyers
    > are afraid to speak freely, since they have
    > to speak first. AVOID any seller with a
    > buyer-posts-FB-first policy.

    Unfortunately that policy is becoming far too common
    among photo vendors on EBay. I truly hate it (you are
    right, if they expect feeback first is because they are
    not too confident with their level of customer service...)
    but vendors that stick to a more friendly, vendor FB first
    policy (like you and me, whenever I sell something) are
    becoming rare. Oh yeah, you bet they will inflict you a
    negative if you dare to complain about their lousy service...
    I believe the whole FB system on EBay should be revised.
    Why should a buyer be given a "feedback"? It only exists
    on EBay, check the REAL online ratings of those NYC
    fly-by-nite "businesses" (where the buyer is NOT afraid
    to speak and get a neg) and you'll quickly discover the
    awful truth.

    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Dr Rich

    Bob Niland Guest

    > Dr Rich <> wrote:

    > Thanks all for the input... I figured it was
    > shady but didn't want to be paranoid about it.

    On eBay, start from paranoid.
    Then relax as you learn.

    I recently sold all of my 35mm gear on eBay.
    I'm happy. My buyers are happy. I collected
    enough to pay for a decent dSLR to replace
    the current 2Mp P&S.

    > Personally, I've never purchased anything on
    > Ebay for just that reason, ...

    eBay is a fine place to buy and sell many
    things, but high-demand new hi-tech products
    is probably not one of them. Market economics
    says that, for a product like a just-released
    digicam, there's really no reason for a
    high-overhead venue like eBay to be any
    cheaper than a volume discount reseller.

    > but thought a "legitimate" business
    > might "advertise" there.

    They do, but usually for remainders, returns,
    overstocks and unpopular products.

    For "hot" products, they may use eBay, but only
    because they think that naive buyers will bid
    the prices up ABOVE market (and they do).

    > B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h.
    > I've heard their reputation's OK.

    That's where I've been shopping. That's
    likely where I'll buy my next digital camera.

    > I'll check out Newegg.com ...

    NewEgg is primarily a DIY computer tech seller.
    I bought most of the components there for the
    PC I'm typing this on. They do have a modest
    selection of other hi-tech items, but photo is
    not their main focus. If they have what you
    want, the price is usually competitive.

    My main issue with NewEgg was that they often
    only have the "OEM" version of some computer
    widgets, and not the "retail". This distinction
    doesn't exist with photo stuff, so it's not
    likely to arise for you.

    Bob Niland, Oct 26, 2003
  10. There is tremendous opportunity for rip-offs on EBay.
    Avoid any volume seller with less than 99% good feedback.
    Even if you do get the goods in the end, who wants the hassle of
    waiting for weeks?

    You can often find prices on the web substantially below EBay prices.

    I was ripped off for $400 for a camera on EBay a couple of montsh ago.
    I am a savvy and experienced buyer/seller with 4 years on Ebay and
    still got taken.
    The thief had taken over his wife's account with 99%+ positive on 700
    transactions.

    He then "sold" $50K worth of cameras, camcorders, GPSs, PDAs etc, all
    top end stuff
    with 2 weeks delivery, and made off with about $50K. EBay was no
    help.
    Paypal was no help. Square trade was less than no help. (An enquiry
    to Square trade
    about whether this vendor was entitled to use their logo, got an
    answer 5 days later
    rather than the same day).

    When it all started to come out, EBay clamps a lid on everything,
    yanks the id of the thief
    and prevents the people who were ripped off from finding each other
    and grouping together.
    I tracked the thief down. It was a Romanian man called Stanislaus
    Cociu.
    His wife is Corina Trif-Cociu. They both lived in Edison, NJ at the
    time of their fraud.
    They operated a company called Galaxy Art Glass. Maybe they still
    do.

    The Edison police heard about the $400 I lost, but EBay makes sure I
    don't have any
    way to contact the other victims and encourage them to file criminal
    complaints too.
    So it's a $400 case, not a $50K case.

    Ebay is rife with fraud, and the EBay policies work to prevent people
    findng out
    about it, rather than to prevent people committing it. I got $175
    back by
    jumping through hoops with the lousy EBay insurance.

    Stan Accrington, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Dr Rich

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I would not want to generalize about e-bay.
    there are worse places to buy.
    So far I have bought quite a few items and have not regretted any. I just use
    some caution and mainly do my research prior to bidding. I also will not get
    into a bidding war. I place my bid and enter the highest price I am willing to
    pay. If I am outbid, I either bid on another item or forget about it.

    As far as volume sellers, If the item is available from a known internet
    merchant for a few $ more, I will buy from the merchant.

    New Egg has not disappointed me. I just bought a Wireless booster for $80 with
    free shipping that would cost $109 at Best Buy.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Dr Rich

    Bill Guest

    I use ebay all the time as both a seller and as a buyer. I've been adding
    stuff for my Oly E-10 off of ebay and have gotten some really good deals,
    including a great deal on the camera and flash initially. Olympus itself
    has an outlet on Ebay that sells the cables, lens and other items that I
    look for. I compare the prices there with their online store and find I can
    save another 25% plus the shipping is really cheap (usually $3.00 an item).

    I have been bidding on several different dslr's lately and that has caused
    numerous "offers" to sell off line cameras to wind up in my mail box.
    Usually the offer is for a camera I've been bidding on at half off if I will
    only WESTERN UNION the money to them. The seller id usually says they're in
    the US, but when I trace the email origin I find they're coming from over
    seas (Romania etc). Then the game begins, I tell them sure, I want the
    camera and will gladly send the money. Then I wait for a day and tell them
    the money has been sent. They say they can't find it in the WU system. They
    get pretty worried about the money and I have a blast insisting it's been
    sent. Or I'll balk at the amount and they'll offer to take half up front
    and ship COD on the remainder. I do the same thing then. It's fun to screw
    with the crooks.

    Never western union the money. Never use their escrow service, never deal
    with an over seas seller. Many Ebay accounts have been hijacked and the
    original owner locked out while these crooks do their crimes. Never rely on
    Ebay to come to your rescue. There are so many scams being run on Ebay that
    they allow right now. They do not care about the purchaser, they care only
    about getting their final value fees.

    Bill, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Dr Rich

    zeitgeist Guest

    check out costco.com (yes the big warehouse is now a web site with stuff
    you can't get at the warehouse, but you can return anything for any reason
    to any costco)

    buy.com free shipping on most stuff, decent CS,

    my experience with big stores on ebay is that they tend to be cleaner about
    their biz than back in the days of shutterbug ads. however sleezeballs are
    sleezeballs, these sunshine guys sound like schmucks

    zeitgeist, Oct 27, 2003
  14. Dr Rich

    buck Guest

    In article <uv0nb.26397$mZ5.124744@attbi_s54>,
    says...

    > > B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h. I've heard their
    > > reputation's OK.
    > > I'll check out Newegg.com as Rosita suggested for the lesser price...
    > > (never heard of them before,,,, thanks though)
    > > Helped a lot....
    > > Rich

    I have had good experience with buy.com, newegg.com and b&h. AFAIK all
    three have good reputations.

    My wife OTOH has purchased over 100 items from EBAY sellers, and has
    only been burned once. (she did get the product but only after several
    weeks delay, and LOTS of lies from the seller)
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    buck, Oct 27, 2003
  15. Dr Rich

    blech Guest

    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message news:<InGmb.3889$>...
    > Bob Niland wrote:
    >
    > > This seller holds FB hostage! You can bet
    > > that if seller posted FB first (my policy as
    > > a seller) their percentage would be WAY lower
    > > than the horrible 96% it is now. Most buyers
    > > are afraid to speak freely, since they have
    > > to speak first. AVOID any seller with a
    > > buyer-posts-FB-first policy.

    > Unfortunately that policy is becoming far too common
    > among photo vendors on EBay. I truly hate it (you are
    > right, if they expect feeback first is because they are
    > not too confident with their level of customer service...)
    > but vendors that stick to a more friendly, vendor FB first
    > policy (like you and me, whenever I sell something) are
    > becoming rare. Oh yeah, you bet they will inflict you a
    > negative if you dare to complain about their lousy service...
    > I believe the whole FB system on EBay should be revised.
    > Why should a buyer be given a "feedback"? It only exists
    > on EBay, check the REAL online ratings of those NYC
    > fly-by-nite "businesses" (where the buyer is NOT afraid
    > to speak and get a neg) and you'll quickly discover the
    > awful truth.

    There seems to be a large number of people who don't give
    feedback at all. I gave feedback the minute I recieved payment
    on the last 10 items I sold. I recieved feedback on only 5
    of the transactions. I've resorted to giving immediate feedback
    to those who give feedback, an wait to give it to those who seem to be lax
    in giving it. Yeah, it takes some time to research
    it, but why should some person be building positive feedback while
    not giving any?

    blech, Oct 27, 2003
  16. Dr Rich

    Sandy Guest

    Do NOT order from Backdrop Outlet. Here is a short version of my sad
    story.

    I placed a phone order totaling $452.90. In 2 weeks I received 2 items
    totaling $21.56. My credit card statement showed charges of $452.90,
    and $11.44. I called 7 times to inquire about the second charge, and
    kept getting "your rep will call you back." She never did. 6 weeks
    later I received all but one item. Another charge of $149 was on my
    card. I finally got in touch with my rep and she said the final total
    she quoted on the phone was for in-stock items only. Also, the one
    remaining item I hadn't received was discontinued. They cancelled my
    order for it and gave me store credit. No refund!

    Besides the poor customer service, and lies, I couldn't get an answer
    to the question "if the phone quote was for in-stock items only, why
    did it take 6 weeks for me to receive?"

    The moral of the story is: "PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS RETAILER."
    Thanks for reading.
    ~Sandy

    Sandy, Dec 10, 2004
  17. Dr Rich

    mikel68 Guest

    thanks,

    This happens a lot on ebay stores, I demanded an answer from Ebay re: a
    simalar purchase I made.

    My question was about the auction process, "aren't the sellers actually
    supposed to have the merchandise they show".

    Ebay basically said, be patient, try to call the seller, work it out in
    a civil manner, etc. Well isn't misrepresentation already out of the
    civil ballpark.

    mikel

    mikel68, Dec 10, 2004
  18. Dr Rich

    Jeremy Guest

    "mikel68" <> wrote in message
    > thanks,
    >
    > This happens a lot on ebay stores, I demanded an answer from Ebay re: a
    > simalar purchase I made.

    The OP posted this article on numerous newsgroups, and made reference to
    having placed a "PHONE ORDER." Clearly, whatever alleged problems arose
    from the transaction, it did not have anything to do with eBay.

    Too bad that the OP was not as assertive in filing a dispute with the credit
    card company as she was in posting her story all over the Internet.

    Something is suspect about the whole thing.

    Jeremy, Dec 11, 2004
  19. Dr Rich

    Ryadia Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > "mikel68" <> wrote in message
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > This happens a lot on ebay stores, I demanded an answer from Ebay re: a
    > > simalar purchase I made.
    > >

    > The OP posted this article on numerous newsgroups, and made reference to
    > having placed a "PHONE ORDER." Clearly, whatever alleged problems arose
    > from the transaction, it did not have anything to do with eBay.
    >
    > Too bad that the OP was not as assertive in filing a dispute with the

    credit
    > card company as she was in posting her story all over the Internet.
    >
    > Something is suspect about the whole thing.

    Some people are so suspicious of a person's complaints that I can't help
    wondering if the suspicion is based on what they would do themselves, eh?
    Maybe she didn't know about chargebacks and Ebay host "stores" which
    amongst other thing encourage customers to purchase goods without their
    quasi "auction" process. Ebay charge a bundle for the service too,
    incidently.

    Doug

    Ryadia, Dec 11, 2004
  20. Dr Rich

    Jeremy Guest

    "Ryadia" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe she didn't know about chargebacks and Ebay host "stores" which
    > amongst other thing encourage customers to purchase goods without their
    > quasi "auction" process.

    The point in my article was that I wondered whether the OP was, in fact,
    complaining about a bona fide eBay transaction, or was just throwing the
    eBay part in to add some sizzle to the complaint.

    She seemed intent on posting her article at numerous newsgroups, and the
    whole thing smacked of an obsession. I might be wrong. I often am.

    Jeremy, Dec 11, 2004