Info on Cisco NAT (overload) and MS PPTP Server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Houston SBC, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. Houston SBC

    Houston SBC Guest

    FYI :

    I placed a MS Windows 2000 Server configured as a PPTP Server behind a Cisco
    2650 (IOS 12.3) router doing static NAT translation of the PPTP port and IP
    port.
    The Cisco was also doing overload NAT translations of the internal ip
    address range.
    The 2000 RRAS Server was obtaining int ip addresses from an int DHCP server.

    In the present Cisco IOS 12.3. incarnation this does not work.
    The cisco will not handle the underlying PPP protocol with overlaod NAT, but
    will work if static translations are in place.

    The PPP protocol does not expose ports that are needed for the overload NAT
    to keep track of the traffic.

    Nonetheless a NetGear FVS318 router does handle this by using PPP session
    ids (or at least I think that is what they are using) to do the
    differentiation.

    Digital Doug

    Houston SBC, Jan 25, 2007