info. being sucked out from comp.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul - xxx, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Angus Macfadyen tried to scribble ...

    > Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending
    > large quantities of info to someone or something.
    > Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over
    > 20mins at up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    > Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >
    > Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    > Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't
    > activated..........

    I'd suggest an Fdisk, Format and full reinstall.

    Also get a decent Virus killer, or regularly (daily) visit on-line virus
    killer sites.

    A decent Trojan Hunter/Killer would also seem appropriate too .. ;)
    --
    .............................Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Paul - xxx

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:50:10 -0700, Angus Macfadyen wrote:

    > Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending large
    > quantities of info to someone or something.
    > Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over 20mins at
    > up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    > Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >
    > Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    > Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't activated..........
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > Angus

    When you ride to the shops to get some lollies do you leave your bike
    unlocked outside the shop when you go inside? Do you leave all the doors
    and windows of your house wide open? Well a computer is sorta the same.
    Get thee promptly to the Google website and type in the search bar ( thats
    the long thin rectangle under the pretty coloured word "Google")
    "anti-virus", then "firewall", then "trojan", then "spyware". After you've
    done that and have a bit of a read and a think, then you will know what to
    do.

    B.Al.Zeebub, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Paul - xxx

    Sacre Bleu! Guest

    "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > When you ride to the shops to get some lollies do you leave your bike
    > unlocked outside the shop when you go inside? Do you leave all the doors
    > and windows of your house wide open? Well a computer is sorta the same.
    > Get thee promptly to the Google website and type in the search bar ( thats
    > the long thin rectangle under the pretty coloured word "Google")
    > "anti-virus", then "firewall", then "trojan", then "spyware". After you've
    > done that and have a bit of a read and a think, then you will know what to
    > do.

    Hahahaaa, wotta witty li'l devil.

    Sacre Bleu!, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Paul - xxx

    Raine Guest

    Sacre Bleu! wrote:
    > "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    >> When you ride to the shops to get some lollies do you leave your bike
    >> unlocked outside the shop when you go inside? Do you leave all the
    >> doors and windows of your house wide open? Well a computer is sorta
    >> the same. Get thee promptly to the Google website and type in the
    >> search bar ( thats the long thin rectangle under the pretty coloured
    >> word "Google") "anti-virus", then "firewall", then "trojan", then
    >> "spyware". After you've done that and have a bit of a read and a
    >> think, then you will know what to do.

    > Hahahaaa, wotta witty li'l devil.

    Ooooooooooo!! The only thing around here that's tightly secured is the
    comp! YES, windows, doors etc, are all left open, the theory being if
    someone is going to break in then they will, locked doors etc, or
    otherwise! Will Googling stop that?
    Raine.

    Raine, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Paul - xxx

    trout Guest

    Angus Macfadyen wrote:

    > Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending
    > large quantities of info to someone or something.
    > Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over
    > 20mins at up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    > Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >
    > Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    > Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't
    > activated..........
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > Angus

    (Please check your clock/time zone. You're posting from the 'future'.)

    Do you *use* a firewall? Check for spy/adware:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>

    Ad-Aware
    <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
    --
    "*Could* be critters."

    trout, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Paul - xxx

    Cyanyde Guest

    "Raine" <> wrote in message
    > Sacre Bleu! wrote:
    > > "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > >> When you ride to the shops to get some lollies do you leave your bike
    > >> unlocked outside the shop when you go inside? Do you leave all the
    > >> doors and windows of your house wide open? Well a computer is sorta
    > >> the same. Get thee promptly to the Google website and type in the
    > >> search bar ( thats the long thin rectangle under the pretty coloured
    > >> word "Google") "anti-virus", then "firewall", then "trojan", then
    > >> "spyware". After you've done that and have a bit of a read and a
    > >> think, then you will know what to do.

    > > Hahahaaa, wotta witty li'l devil.

    > Ooooooooooo!! The only thing around here that's tightly secured is the
    > comp! YES, windows, doors etc, are all left open, the theory being if
    > someone is going to break in then they will, locked doors etc, or
    > otherwise! Will Googling stop that?
    > Raine.

    When I go out I leave my windows and doors open,
    But my comp is secure so even if it does get stolen they'll never get into
    it!
    MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    er..?

    Cyanyde, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Paul - xxx

    V Guest

    You can go on-line and scan your system at:
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=20
    &pkj=OXSJJMRDOLLNKSGGNOL

    Or you can scan & Clean your system here:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    VampYre

    --
    Great Stock Market Trading Game
    You can Even WIN CASH Prizes!

    Angus Macfadyen, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Paul - xxx

    Howard Guest

    > Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending large
    > quantities of info to someone or something.
    > Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over 20mins at
    > up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    > Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >
    > Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    > Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't activated..........
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > Angus

    When ever your computer starts to act strangely as you describe, you should
    disconnect from the internet as you could be spewing your own personal data-
    keystrokes - passwords - creditcard numbers etc or sending spam or launching
    a DoS attack on another computer somewhere.
    You are infected and you need to run a complete virus scan before going on
    line again and keep your AV program upto date!

    Howard, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Howard wrote:
    > "Angus Macfadyen" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending
    >> large quantities of info to someone or something.
    >> Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over
    >> 20mins at up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    >> Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >>
    >> Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in
    >> the Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't
    >> activated..........
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    >> Angus
    >>

    > When ever your computer starts to act strangely as you describe, you
    > should disconnect from the internet as you could be spewing your own
    > personal data- keystrokes - passwords - creditcard numbers etc or
    > sending spam or launching a DoS attack on another computer somewhere.
    > You are infected and you need to run a complete virus scan before
    > going on line again and keep your AV program upto date!

    Also a spyware program such as Adaware or Spybot should be used as well.

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Paul - xxx

    Richard Guest

    Angus Macfadyen wrote:>>

    > Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending
    > large quantities of info to someone or something.
    > Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over 20mins
    > at up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    > Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?

    > Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    > Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't activated..........

    > Cheers

    > Angus

    try the ctrl+alt+del routine when this happens again.
    if you see an oddball program you're not familiar with, check it out.
    I was recently having a problem with scandisk not being able to run
    completely.
    Including in safe mode.
    Downloaded another disk checker and it found a bunch of dll's shared
    improperly, and even a virus.
    Turned out it was a dialer type. Thankfully I'm on cable so a dialer doesn't
    work.
    Ran AVG and it killed the damn thing for me.
    As I understand it, if you windows media player 9, it may also be the
    culprit as it is known spyware and sends out tons of stuff without you
    knowing it.
    Also, if you have real player, go through the preferences and uncheck all
    items.
    Also uncheck any automatic updates you have.
    If XP has msconfig, or equivelant, run it and see what programs are listed.

    But it sounds like you have an e-mail trojan that is phoning home and
    sending various data that it shouldn't be.

    Richard, Sep 16, 2003
  12. Paul - xxx

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:09:54 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> scribbled:

    >Downloaded another disk checker and it found a bunch of dll's shared
    >improperly, and even a virus.

    That's what you get for visiting those kiddy pr0n sites, pervert.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Paul - xxx

    Mr. Smiley Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > Angus Macfadyen tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending
    >> large quantities of info to someone or something.
    >> Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over
    >> 20mins at up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    >> Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >>
    >> Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in
    >> the Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't
    >> activated..........

    > I'd suggest an Fdisk, Format and full reinstall.
    >
    > Also get a decent Virus killer, or regularly (daily) visit on-line
    > virus killer sites.
    >
    > A decent Trojan Hunter/Killer would also seem appropriate too .. ;)

    Get professional help. You have a bad case.
    You need a Virus check, Adaware Check, Computer Cleanup, and a firewall.
    See my website for help.

    --
    the abominable toner

    http://www.hal-pc.org/~toner27/

    Mr. Smiley, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Paul - xxx

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Angus Macfadyen" <> wrote:

    >Hi it appears that whilst I am on line (surfing or mail) I'm sending large
    >quantities of info to someone or something.
    >Everything takes about 4 x as long. A 1.5Mb email took well over 20mins at
    >up to 115.2kbs and it sent over 13MB
    >Can I put a stop to this or find out where it is going?
    >
    >Recent install of winxp home to a new drive and I got caught up in the
    >Lovsan bug whilst trying to register so still haven't activated..........
    >
    >Cheers
    >

    >Angus

    If you got Lovesan then you are probably running Windows XP.

    In that case you *must* immediately activate the built-in firewall in
    Windows XP or install a third party firewall program. There is a new
    virus flood coming out that will probably be worse than Lovesan.

    Regardless of what version of Windows you have installed you must have
    a good antivirus program installed and you must keep it up to date.
    The virus definition files should never be more than 10 days old.

    And you also need to have a good Spyware removal program. You need to
    update and run this at least once a month, and probably more like once
    a week if you go to a lot of different web sites. I prefer AdAware
    (free) from www.lavasoft.de but many others like Spyware Blaster and
    there are other similar products as well.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Paul - xxx

    Boomer Guest

    Re: Thanks info. being sucked out from comp.

    Angus Macfadyen said:

    > Hi all - much obliged this is the one which helped.
    > Did ctrl alt del showed up a number of things and rightly or
    > wrongly ended up changing name on dillhost.exe as there was a
    > number of prefetches in taskmger.exe for no apparent reason and
    > if I Del. them they reapppeared and dillhost was doing "things"
    > whilst nothing should have been running. And yes balzeebub, I am
    > lucky enough where I live to leave our doors open and our cars
    > unlocked and we don't all have health insurance nor a retirement
    > pension top look forward to and life is is a challenge but never
    > boring. Nevertheless, I did initially try your advice which was
    > appreciated, and as this was my 1st posting it took me into new
    > territory...

    [snip]

    Hello

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    You are posting from the future.

    For Windows :
    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system
    tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
    ZONE.
    Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    ~Further information at the site below.~
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You Very Much :)

    Boomer, Sep 17, 2003
  16. Thanks info. being sucked out from comp.

    Angus Macfadyen, Sep 18, 2003