Info about load balancing in cisco routers and switches!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vishamr2000, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. vishamr2000

    vishamr2000

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Hi to all,

    I need some help regarding some information about per-packet load balancing in Cisco routers and switches. By "per packet" load balancing I mean to say that the packets forming part of one particular connection are forwarded to different machines, in a round-robin manner. I know that there is something called stateless load balancing where load balancing is based on mac pair or ip pair hash, but this is not what I want. I wanted to know if there are Cisco routers and switches that support the per-packet load balancing scheme i'm talking about (not stateless load balancing).

    I have also heard that Cisco routers can do per-packet load balancing on a router interface by issuing the following command:

    Router(config-if)#no ip route cache

    My network topology is as follows:

    |A|-------| |
    | |
    |Switch |-----|Router|
    | |

    I wanted to ask whether the above command will load balance traffic from the internet onto the four PCs (A,B,C,D) connected to the switch on a per-packet basis (i.e plain round-robin irrespective of the connection to which packet belongs to). What I basically want to do is that packets pertaining to one particular connection get load balanced in a round robin fashion over the 4 PCs. Will the above command do that or should I go for etherchannel?

    Any help will be much appreciated..

    Warm regards,
    Visham

    vishamr2000, Jun 22, 2007