    Guys,

    I know I've heard a lot of grief about the craptacular status of the forums on my site, so I scrapped them and put in a fresh install of phpBB2, which works just fine. (And yes, this is how you run phpBB2, let Mike know). :) You'll have to re-register with these new forums, sorry about that.

    -Mike
    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005

  2. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    cool :D. fix em :D
    unholy, Nov 20, 2005

  3. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm registered...

    ....but it looks kinda empty for now. Are those topic areas going to be fixed, or are they open for discussion?;)
    bigal, Nov 21, 2005
  4. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Everything is open for discussion on my site, you and Un have Admin on the forums now by the way so... Surprise. You got power over each other! :)
    The Modfather, Nov 21, 2005
  5. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    "hehe, no u be supa mod, no u be supa mod. crap, modfather can u change us back to admin plz :D"

    just joking with ya :D
    unholy, Nov 21, 2005
  6. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Um, it says Moderator but you've got full admin functions though.
    The Modfather, Nov 22, 2005
  7. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    thats weird :|
    unholy, Nov 22, 2005
  8. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Took care of Un...

    ....I decided to downgrade Unholy to a regular user. He's getting to the point where his T-shirts won't go over his head....

    Ok, just kidding!;)

    *had to make it smaller al, it takes up tons on these forums :|*
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2005
    bigal, Nov 23, 2005
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Hehaha... :)

    Un, not weird really, a site has only 1 admin normally, that's just how it goes. The front end is just me, nobody else really need to have admin access to that, it's just the forums and a mod in the forums is as good as an admin I think and should have the same tools.

    Mike
    The Modfather, Nov 23, 2005
  10. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i am the 1 admin :p, name there is only the true one with the almighty status of admin :D
    unholy, Nov 23, 2005
  11. The Modfather

    Frankie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2005
    Messages:
    19
    its very hard to read and very busy...

    Im working on a really nice clean website right now...

    Custom coded backend, none of that premade cms crap :)
    Frankie, Nov 30, 2005
  12. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Thanks for sharing your opinions. If you have any constructive criticism or suggestions do feel free to share. Saying that it's hard to read and busy doesn't help me to improve the site very much. Which parts were hard to read and busy? The forums or the main site? And I happen to like content management systems for many reasons. They're easy to customize, provide a lot of solutions right off the bat without a lot of coding required and they make it easy for people to submit articles.
    The Modfather, Nov 30, 2005
  13. The Modfather

    Frankie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2005
    Messages:
    19
    It's too dark

    The site and forums dont match in style
    The forums you should limit to say 900x wide and center it
    Make the forum blurb shorter, should only be a few words at most

    Make the site look like the forums
    Dont just recolour the default template on the CMS and actually put some work into it...

    Personally we will probably be using ASP to do the coding for the website, will be late January, early February before the first revision is finished

    http://www.nvrfgt.co.nz/ubatek/ <-- Here is where we are with the design
    Frankie, Nov 30, 2005
  14. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    For one thing, the forums used to be embedded into the Nuke but there's a bug in that version of nuke so I had to use phpBB2. The template could be matched, sure, I just haven't had time to do it. The dark template is what I want and like, it fits the mood and style of the kind of mods I do. Chopper related or horror related, that's my style so it fits. So if either were to be changed to match it'd be the forums.

    The blurb? What blurb? What are you referring to?

    Your site looks nice but it also looks corporate, my site isn't corporate, it's a modding community site. I'd never use colors like that though, they'd give me a headache real fast. :)

    As far as the forums being a fixed width, I'm not really sure I'd like that. I've used fixed width forum templates before and in some cases they're nice but I consider it a waste of real estate. Why have all that dead area on your site when it can be put to proper use? A lot of sites that use CSS tend to go for that smooshed fixed width that makes them, as far as I'm concerned, wasteful and difficult to navigate. I prefer to make use of what's available on the screen rather than leave a lot of dead space for nothing. If I did change the template, which I did plan to, it'd still be a floating width template. And it would be black to match the main site.

    You also seem to be of the impression that I'm new to this, I've been designing websites since the first days of the web. The first site I put online was actually a WAIS site. If I wanted to code it all from hand I could but I'd rather not. The tools are there to make it easier and that's what I'm using, works for me. I prefer phpBB and Nuke sites because it's all open source and I can change it if I wish. But to code it from scratch, that'd be fine if I had the time but I don't. I'm not selling anything on my site so there's no reason for me to go to all that trouble.

    -Mike
    The Modfather, Nov 30, 2005
  15. The Modfather

    Frankie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2005
    Messages:
    19
    Frankie, Nov 30, 2005
  16. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I couldn't get back to you last night Frankie, I got tooth problems, I gotta have oral surgery tomorrow at 10:45AM. This is not fun. I'm in pain and while it's better than a fried CPU, it ain't no fun.

    I'm gonna be getting off the computer in a few mins and then I'll be off at least for the next 24 hours until the damned surgery is over and I've recovered a bit from it. I'll need to likely get two teeth surgically cut out.

    But please, donate to USEMYXBOX.COM today! :)
    The Modfather, Dec 1, 2005
  17. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Feeling better yet?

    Boy, I feel your pain. I happen to be seeing the dentice next Thursday, so last week one of my molars starting feeling bad when cold stuff got near it. This molar has been capped for years, so I'm thinking it wants a root canal. I don't want it, but I can feel it coming.....
    bigal, Dec 5, 2005
  18. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    :| i haven't been to the dentist in over 1 year :|
    unholy, Dec 5, 2005
  19. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I basically don't have any teeth left, the combination of treatments for leukemia 20 years ago and the onset of diabetes took care of them, I have basically some nubs left and some broke off at the gumline. The one that's got me broke off short and is under the gumline. I couldn't get it extracted, my insurance doesn't cover the anesthesia and they wanted something like $280 to knock me out and this close to the holidays I can't afford it.
    The Modfather, Dec 5, 2005
  20. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yer better spent on a mod :D, otherwise teeth/dentist is a waste o mula :|
    unholy, Dec 5, 2005