Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 19, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Oct 20, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    philo Guest

    On 10/19/2011 06:16 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > RichA<> wrote:
    >> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >
    >
    > You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
    >
    > http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    >
    > Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
    > to refocus it. I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
    > though, no matter how many times I tried.
    >
    >




    worked fine here
    maybe you have a browser problem?
     
    philo, Oct 20, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:55:33 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:16:49 +0100, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>RichA <> wrote:
    >>>I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >>
    >>
    >>You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
    >>
    >>http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    >>
    >>Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
    >>to refocus it. I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
    >>though, no matter how many times I tried.
    >>
    >>

    > I had no problem. The effect was particularly noticeable in the
    > spider, butterfly and seal pictures.


    It seems like an all or nothing type of gimmick.
    Some parts remain out of focus depending on which part
    of the pictures is clicked on.
     
    Irwell, Oct 20, 2011
    #4
  5. David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    bob Guest

    This is a very neat technology.

    What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?

    This is a solution looking for a problem.

    I wonder if the images can be processed so that all objects are in focus at
    the same time. If so, this would be infinite DOF indeed. Perhaps this could
    be combined with very fast lenses at wide open aperture which is usually
    impractical because of the too shadow DOF.
     
    bob, Oct 20, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Oct 20, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

    On Oct 19, 7:16 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >I doubt it.  But it looks...cute.
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >
    > You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
    >
    > http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
    >
    > Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
    > to refocus it.  I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
    > though, no matter how many times I tried.  


    This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
    focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
    about 20ft to infinity.
     
    RichA, Oct 20, 2011
    #8
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

    On Oct 20, 5:30 am, "bob" <> wrote:
    > This is a very neat technology.
    >
    > What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?
    >
    > This is a solution looking for a problem.
    >


    It could be used to refine focus when doing close-ups. Where people
    (or the camera) accidentally focuses on the tip of a nose instead of
    the eyes, etc.
     
    RichA, Oct 20, 2011
    #9
  10. Re: Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    []
    > This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
    > focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
    > about 20ft to infinity.


    My Bushnell binoculars have both focus and diopter adjustments. You need
    to pay more next time!
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 20, 2011
    #10
  11. Re: Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    > news:j7pfrt$blf$:
    >
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> news:.
    >> .. []
    >>> This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
    >>> focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
    >>> about 20ft to infinity.

    >>
    >> My Bushnell binoculars have both focus and diopter adjustments. You
    >> need to pay more next time!
    >>
    >>

    >
    > http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/permafocus/
    >
    > Next?


    So what? Your implication that all Bushnell binoculars are either cheap
    or lack focus adjustment was misleading, and false. You may buy $2000
    binoculars, but not everyone can afford them!
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 21, 2011
    #11
  12. On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:

    > I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp


    This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents. This sort
    of photography is going to have applications that haven't even been
    invented yet. And man, when this gets implemented into video... well,
    everything is going to change, and a lot more work is going to focus on
    post-production.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]
     
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
    #12
  13. On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, David J Taylor wrote:

    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >
    > So it's just 2 Mpix ("HD quality") and you have to upload your pictures to
    > Lytro to have them refocussed, and those uploads are only free for the "first
    > customers"?


    Yes, no, no.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]
     
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
    #13
  14. Re: Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:

    > On Oct 20, 5:30 am, "bob" <> wrote:
    >> This is a very neat technology.
    >>
    >> What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?
    >>
    >> This is a solution looking for a problem.
    >>

    >
    > It could be used to refine focus when doing close-ups. Where people
    > (or the camera) accidentally focuses on the tip of a nose instead of
    > the eyes, etc.


    It could be used to have infinite creative control of focus in
    post-production. This would be especially useful in video. It also
    captures in 3D.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]
     
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 26, 2011
    #14
  15. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Ryan McGinnis <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:
    >> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >
    >This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    >shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    >these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents.




    People said that about Silicon Film, and then Foveon.
     
    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
    #15
  16. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > >This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    > >shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    > >these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents.

    >
    > People said that about Silicon Film, and then Foveon.


    silicon film never existed. they spent a lot of money hyping what was
    essentially impossible to actually build. lots of cool marketing
    though.

    foveon made some bold claims but those claims do not hold up to
    scrutiny. they did release several products but overall, it's been a
    commercial failure. they would have been bankrupt had sigma not bought
    them.
     
    nospam, Oct 27, 2011
    #16
  17. On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Bruce wrote:

    > Ryan McGinnis <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:
    >>> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >>
    >> This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    >> shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    >> these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents.

    >
    >
    >
    > People said that about Silicon Film, and then Foveon.


    And I can point you to web forums where hordes of Apple fans made fun of
    the first iPod, calling it Apple's biggest, dumbest blunder. What people
    say is less important than what people do. There are so many
    applications for this technology that it's hard to even predict what could
    become available.

    The difference between light field photography and Foveon is like the
    difference between a car and an aeroplane. They are fundamentally
    different technologies. Almost as dramatic a difference as a camera
    obscura versus a SLR. It took the invention of light-sensitve
    chemical compounds to move from obscura to camera - no longer did the
    image need to be temporary or transcribed by hand. The invention of
    digital sensors, computerized post processing, and micro lenses allows
    technology like a
    light-field camera to exist -- which frees photographers from needing to
    fix the focal point and depth of field at moment of capture. (It also
    frees the photographer from chosing between two dimensions or three.) I
    suspect the real miracle with this will eventually be in video.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]
     
    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 27, 2011
    #17
  18. "Ryan McGinnis" <> wrote in message
    news:alpine.DEB.2.02.1110261755290.2406@ryan-BigStorm...
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp

    >>
    >> So it's just 2 Mpix ("HD quality") and you have to upload your pictures
    >> to Lytro to have them refocussed, and those uploads are only free for
    >> the "first customers"?

    >
    > Yes, no, no.
    >
    > -Ryan McGinnis


    Yes, thanks. It seems that the article, or more likely my reading of it,
    didn't make things very clear. Will be interesting to read the first user
    reports.

    David
     
    David J Taylor, Oct 27, 2011
    #18
  19. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Ryan McGinnis <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Bruce wrote:
    >
    >> Ryan McGinnis <> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, RichA wrote:
    >>>> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp
    >>>
    >>> This camera will be rememebered as the first tremor in a major tectonic
    >>> shift in photography. One of the big camera compnaies is likely to snap
    >>> these guys up for a LOT of money, if only just for the patents.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> People said that about Silicon Film, and then Foveon.

    >
    >And I can point you to web forums where hordes of Apple fans made fun of
    >the first iPod, calling it Apple's biggest, dumbest blunder. What people
    >say is less important than what people do. There are so many
    >applications for this technology that it's hard to even predict what could
    >become available.



    On the contrary, there are no applications for this technology other
    than selling it to consumers as a gimmick, for that is all it is. It
    is technically interesting but serves no useful purpose. It is a
    solution looking for a problem, a problem that is a long way from
    being found.

    No doubt you will continue to wet your pants with excitement, but
    that's just you thinking you have found a new toy.
     
    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
    #19
  20. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >"Ryan McGinnis" <> wrote in message
    >news:alpine.DEB.2.02.1110261755290.2406@ryan-BigStorm...
    >> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101930lytrocameraannounced.asp
    >>>
    >>> So it's just 2 Mpix ("HD quality") and you have to upload your pictures
    >>> to Lytro to have them refocussed, and those uploads are only free for
    >>> the "first customers"?

    >>
    >> Yes, no, no.
    >>
    >> -Ryan McGinnis

    >
    >Yes, thanks. It seems that the article, or more likely my reading of it,
    >didn't make things very clear. Will be interesting to read the first user
    >reports.



    User reports? Who on earth would *use* this? What for?

    There will be plenty of techies interested in the technology, but
    selling it to consumers will be difficult, because it has very little
    practical value.

    It is a novelty item, and that is all.
     
    Bruce, Oct 27, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Fernando Donate

    h323-credit-time infinite?

    Fernando Donate, Aug 18, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    429
    Fernando Donate
    Aug 18, 2004
  2. Anoushka
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    404
    NightOwl
    Mar 3, 2004
  3. Lazarus Long

    how close is infinite focus?

    Lazarus Long, Aug 9, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    43
    Views:
    6,778
    Arty Phacting
    Aug 13, 2004
  4. mike

    Pin-hole photography

    mike, Aug 8, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    544
    Paul Heslop
    Aug 8, 2006
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    480
Loading...

Share This Page