    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Jul 26, 2012

  3. RichA

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 26/07/2012 16:48, Mike wrote:
    > On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...japan-warns-photographers-over-tampering-scam
    >>

    > The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
    > make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
    > somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

    This is a FUD scheme by Tamron USA and their Japanese ringmasters to
    keep the retail price high and find / eliminate grey market dealers.

    The only thing wrong with kit bought in another country is that the
    warranty may be invalid where you live. That is a risk you take when
    buying optics or any other kit from overseas or as a grey import.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jul 26, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 26, 3:40 pm, Martin Brown <|||>
    wrote:
    > On 26/07/2012 16:48, Mike wrote:
    >
    > > On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538975/tamron-japan-w....

    > > The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
    > > make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
    > > somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

    > This is a FUD scheme by Tamron USA and their Japanese ringmasters to
    > keep the retail price high and find / eliminate grey market dealers.
    >
    > The only thing wrong with kit bought in another country is that the
    > warranty may be invalid where you live. That is a risk you take when
    > buying optics or any other kit from overseas or as a grey import.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    There are too many glitches today with increasingly sophisticated
    products to avoid a warranty.

    RichA, Jul 26, 2012
  5. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...japan-warns-photographers-over-tampering-scam
    >>>

    >> The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
    >> make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
    >> somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

    > So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
    > want to cover their tracks.

    I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
    number. Or for that matter pawn shop.

    Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
    forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

    Rob, Jul 27, 2012
  6. RichA

    Mike Guest

    On 27/07/2012 12:58 AM, Rob wrote:
    > On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    >>> The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
    >>> make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
    >>> somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.

    >> So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
    >> want to cover their tracks.
    >>

    > I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
    > number. Or for that matter pawn shop.
    >
    > Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
    > forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

    Why not have a second serial number hidden internally, or in an embedded
    RFID tag?

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Jul 27, 2012
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:56:28 -0400, Mike <> wrote:

    >On 27/07/2012 12:58 AM, Rob wrote:

    >>> So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
    >>> want to cover their tracks.
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't buy a lens from a retailer with an altered or removed serial
    >> number. Or for that matter pawn shop.
    >>
    >> Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
    >> forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

    >Why not have a second serial number hidden internally, or in an embedded
    >RFID tag?

    Everything adds to cost. You may not think adding a second serial
    number would be a significant cost, but it involves building jigs to
    place the number and an added labor step.

    We want the "features" to increase, but we don't want to pay for them.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2012
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:58:15 +1000, Rob <> wrote:
    : Wondering if it is possible to recover a removed serial number
    : forensically which has been engraved into plastic?

    In this day and age I'd almost assume that the serial number is replicated
    somewhere on the inside of the body, accessible only by dismantling the
    inwards of the camera.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 27, 2012
  9. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:56:28 -0400, Mike <> wrote:
    : On 27/07/2012 12:58 AM, Rob wrote:
    : > On 27/07/2012 7:20 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    : >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:48:41 -0400, Mike <> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> On 26/07/2012 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
    : >>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...japan-warns-photographers-over-tampering-scam
    : >>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>> The only problem with Grey Market Tamron lenses is Tamron USA didn't
    : >>> make any money on them, end of story. It is unlikely they are used, or
    : >>> somehow are production seconds. The forged warranty cards is an issue.
    : >>
    : >> So too is the removal of serial numbers. I have to wonder why they
    : >> want to cover their tracks.
    : >>
    : >
    :
    : Why not have a second serial number hidden internally, or in an embedded
    : RFID tag?

    I had the same thought, but you beat me to it. I should have read the waiting
    messages before replying.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 27, 2012