    --
    Policy as if outcomes mattered
    http://SocialGoals.com

    Ronnie H, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Ronnie H

    EMB Guest

    Ronnie H wrote:
    > A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    > PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    > it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    > svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 13, 2004

  3. EMB wrote:
    >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected
    >> with
    >> PE TROJANPROXY.A.

    > Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

    personally I'd be more likely to suggest restarting in safe mode and
    scanning from there.

    what AV are you using?
    you could try another, maybe your current one simply doesnt know how to
    remove it, but others might.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Ronnie H

    Adder Guest

    In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    > A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    > PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    > it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    > svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    svchost is part of windows.

    Adder, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Ronnie H

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Adder <> wrote:

    >In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    >Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    >> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    >> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    >> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >svchost is part of windows.

    svchostc.exe isn't. I cleaned a similar one last week. Check if it's starting in
    msconfig, disable it, then nuke it from safe mode.

    Invisible, Dec 13, 2004
  6. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:29:08 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Ronnie H wrote:
    >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    >> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    >> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    >> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

    Its a System file you just can't delete it..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Ronnie H

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:34:07 +1300, Aspiringpsychopath
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:29:08 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ronnie H wrote:
    >>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    >>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    >>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    >>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >>Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

    >Its a System file you just can't delete it..

    svchostc.exe is NOT a system file.
    ^

    Invisible, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Ronnie H

    GraB Guest

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/backdoor.zinx.html

    http://tinyurl.com/4ku8w

    GraB, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Ronnie H

    Ronnie H Guest

    Thanks to all respondents. I deleted the file easily from safe mode; and it
    doesn't seem to come back on restart. I have been using Trend Micro's online
    free scanner, which is updated frequently. R

    Ronnie H, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Ronnie H

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Adder <> wrote:

    >In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    >Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    >> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    >> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    >> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >svchost is part of windows.

    The virus/trojan drops a second copy onto the system.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Enkidu, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Ronnie H

    Nomad Damon Guest

    On , , Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Re: infected file, Adder
    <> wrote:

    >In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    >Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    >> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    >> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    >> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    >svchost is part of windows.

    But the file is infected with PE TROJANPROXY.A
    What do you suggest apart from stating the bleeding obvious?

    Nomad Damon, Dec 14, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > On , , Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Re: infected file, Adder
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    > >Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    > >> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
    > >> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
    > >> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
    > >> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    > >svchost is part of windows.

    > But the file is infected with PE TROJANPROXY.A
    > What do you suggest apart from stating the bleeding obvious?

    Might one respectfully suggest remedial reading lessons for some of the
    posters here. There is a difference between
    svchost.exe
    svchostc.exe

    kind regards, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 15, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    says...

    Peter Huebner, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Ronnie H

    Nomad Damon Guest

    On , , Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:54:33 +1300, Re: infected file, Peter
    Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On , , Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Re: infected file, Adder
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    >> >Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...
    >> >
    >> >svchost is part of windows.

    >> But the file is infected with PE TROJANPROXY.A
    >> What do you suggest apart from stating the bleeding obvious?

    >Might one respectfully suggest remedial reading lessons for some of the
    >posters here. There is a difference between
    >svchost.exe
    >svchostc.exe

    My bad.
    Please accept my most humble apology.

    Nomad Damon, Dec 17, 2004
  15. Ronnie H

    Nomad Damon, Dec 17, 2004
  16. Peter Huebner said the following on 15/12/2004 10:54 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On , , Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Re: infected file, Adder
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <EBnvd.27476$> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
    >>>Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <> says...

    >>>svchost is part of windows.

    >>But the file is infected with PE TROJANPROXY.A
    >>What do you suggest apart from stating the bleeding obvious?

    > Might one respectfully suggest remedial reading lessons for some of the
    > posters here. There is a difference between
    > svchost.exe
    > svchostc.exe
    >
    > kind regards, -Peter

    I wondered how long and who would spot the c

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004