    Kue2 Guest

    I downloaded a inf file for my monitor.How do I install it in Vista 64? It's
    for vista.

    Kue2, Dec 21, 2007

  2. Kue2

    Theo Guest

    It should only contain registry entries and some people have
    previously reported they 'decorated' the .inf for x64 and
    had good results.

    Theo, Dec 21, 2007

  3. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    Go to Device Manager, expand the monitor entry and right click on your
    monitor.
    Click on Update Driver.
    Click on Install from a specific location.
    On the next screen point to the location of your inf file.
    Vista will do the rest.
    I am not a Vista PC right now, I'm on XP x86 in Spanish so your menues might
    be a little different.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  4. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    After reading Theo's post and re-reading yours I notice I misunderstood your
    question.
    This is how you "decorate" an inf file in order to make it x64 compatible.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888728/en-us
    The procedure is for XP x64 but it applies also for Vista x64.
    The inf file is just text and doesn't need "external" *.sys drivers so feel
    comfortable adapting ("decorating") it to the x64 world.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  5. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    The one listed in device manager is a generic pnp monitor,when I try to
    update it tells me windows has determined it already has the best driver for
    your generic plug & play monitor.
    It does not let me pick my updated inf file for my monitor ????

    Kue2, Dec 21, 2007
  6. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Carlos I have a decorated inf file for my monitor .How do I install it????

    Kue2, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Kue2,
    You have to get to that screen when the "Have Disk" button shows up.
    I wish I were at my Vista PC right now!
    In XP it goes like this.
    Right click on your monitor in Device Manager.
    Update driver.
    Install from a specific location (advanced)
    Click on "Do not search. I will pick from a list" (or whatever it is from
    Spanish into English)
    Click "Next" and then voilá, the magic "Have Disk" button should show up.
    Point now to your inf file and you are done.
    Best of luck
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    "Point now to your inf file and you are done.
    Best of luck"
    I did this,but it will not let me pick my inf file,it just tells me I have
    the best driver install for Generic plug & play monitor. Do I have to
    uninstall & then install the inf file for my monitor?

    Kue2, Dec 21, 2007
  9. Kue2

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    I'm stuck here.
    I was hoping that in Vista this "stubborn" behaviour of the OS would have
    been fixed.
    It is present in XP x86 and there are some installations in which I have not
    succeeded defeating the OS!
    Let's try to patch your stituation.
    When you get to the "Have Disk" button, DO NOT press it.
    Uncheck "Show all compatible hardware" and choose, under "Standard Monitor
    Types" the matches closer to your monitor.
    This is only a patch but at least your video card will be aware of more
    features about your monitor.

    Which is your monitor?
    Can you get a setup.exe file in order to install it?
    We might be successful in that case.

    One more in my bag of tricks:
    For every new device, Windows keeps a copy of the *.inf file in the inf
    folder, following the format "oem??.inf"
    Try copying your inf file to that folder using the next available number.
    Example: if the highest one is oem23.inf, rename yours to oem24.inf and copy
    it.
    Reboot, just in case, and to the drill of updating driver again.
    This time tell Vista to find the better driver by itself.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  10. I'm in XP too - couldn't you try and install a monitor in 'Add Hardware'?
    Or, if you go to 'Display Properties' and order it to update the driver you
    should get to that option, like Carlos says - make sure that you don't
    accept to re-install the current driver, tell it to search for something
    else, and you should have a 'Browse' button available to chose the location
    of your *.INF.

    Tony. . .

    Tont Sperling, Dec 22, 2007