    what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

    TIA.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Steve Freides

    richard Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
    > what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
    >
    > TIA.

    As has been said, you better shop around.
    Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another source?

    Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
    Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to offer.
    You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a very good
    reason.
    While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el cheapo.

    What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly found
    another host who had tons more for $5 a month.

    Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you want?
    There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

    richard, Sep 20, 2006

  3. "richard" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >> Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any
    >> idea what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > As has been said, you better shop around.
    > Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another
    > source?
    >
    > Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
    > Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to
    > offer.
    > You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a
    > very good reason.
    > While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el
    > cheapo.
    >
    > What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly
    > found another host who had tons more for $5 a month.
    >
    > Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you
    > want?
    > There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

    I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm
    just trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If I
    can't, it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site for a
    non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming events a
    few times a year and not much more than that.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:34:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
    >what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

    Hostmaster's site looks spammy. "Make Money with your site".

    Look at what features they offer. See if they meet your needs.

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:03:02 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >As has been said, you better shop around.
    >Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another source?

    You can just give them your own computer and have them colo it. Much
    better choice.
    <sigh>

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Steve Freides

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
    >>> what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>

    >> As has been said, you better shop around.
    >> Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another
    >> source?
    >>
    >> Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
    >> Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to offer.
    >> You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a very
    >> good reason.
    >> While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el
    >> cheapo.
    >>
    >> What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly found
    >> another host who had tons more for $5 a month.
    >>
    >> Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you
    >> want?
    >> There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

    > I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm just
    > trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If I can't,
    > it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site for a
    > non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming events a few
    > times a year and not much more than that.
    >
    > -S-

    www.dot5hosting.com

    I didn't see where HM offered a dedicated IP. But most likely do since they
    allow you to have other domains under your control. That is, a reseller
    account.

    As I found out, what's advertised is not always what you get.

    Don't need a domain name? Check out various free hosting services that let
    you use a subdomain.
    suchas mysite.hostname.com

    richard, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Steve Freides wrote:

    > I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm
    > just trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If
    > I can't, it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site
    > for a non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming
    > events a few times a year and not much more than that.

    http://themooseisloose.net/freehosting.html
    may give you a low-volume site like that for a one-time $4.95US setup
    fee, and after that, free. For life. <g>

    50Megs Storage - 2Gig Transfer
    cPanel Linux Control
    Fantastico - Email - Antispam
    MySQL - PHP - CGI

    I have a couple sites on their regular hosting, and am not disappointed.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Steve Freides

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:30:46 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >I didn't see where HM offered a dedicated IP. But most likely do since they
    >allow you to have other domains under your control. That is, a reseller
    >account.

    What does either have to do with the other?

    Going to hostmaster.com and clicking on compare takes me to
    register.com . Sounds sketchy.

    >Don't need a domain name? Check out various free hosting services that let
    >you use a subdomain.
    >suchas mysite.hostname.com

    Good god no.

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  9. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:34:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any
    >>idea
    >>what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

    > Hostmaster's site looks spammy. "Make Money with your site".
    >
    > Look at what features they offer. See if they meet your needs.

    Hostmaster != Hostmonster.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 22, 2006