    RCA

    thanks,
    scott

    Scott Harper, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Scott,

    The real wisdom is don't buy an inexpensive tripod. Go midrange if you can,
    it is a particularly bad place to skimp. You'll strip the screws or depleat
    the required tensions in no time, it won't be able to hold heavier equipment
    without drooping and moving, you won't be able to adjusted it quickly and
    easily, the camera will shake too much anyway, and they aren't necessarily
    smaller or lighter nor are they less expensive over time. $75-150 is a good
    value-oriented price range.

    George Preddy, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Scott Harper

    Charlie Self Guest

    Scott Harper asks:

    >Does anyone have any experience with the following tripod manufactures?
    >I'm looking at a low-end "telescoping" tripod, and other than a 2-way
    >vs. a 3-way panhead, these manufacturers have very similar products.
    >Just wondering if there was some conventional wisdom out there regarding
    >which ones to avoid...
    >
    >Carson Optical
    >Ambico
    >SLIK
    >Vanguard
    >RCA

    Can't help with the others, but I used 2 Slik, IIRC, U212s, for about a decade,
    ending maybe 5-6 years ago. They were very good. Quick release stub was a bit
    of a PITA compared to my current tripod (but even that's a PITA at times), but
    they were stable in most use, took a beating and operated easily.

    Currently, I'm using a Bogen Manfrotto, with a Manfrotto 3039 (I think) head,
    which I do NOT like.

    Charlie Self

    "Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
    function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
    things." Sir Winston Churchill

    Charlie Self, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Scott Harper

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

    > Scott Harper asks:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any experience with the following tripod manufactures?
    > >I'm looking at a low-end "telescoping" tripod, and other than a 2-way
    > >vs. a 3-way panhead, these manufacturers have very similar products.
    > >Just wondering if there was some conventional wisdom out there regarding
    > >which ones to avoid...
    > >
    > >Carson Optical
    > >Ambico
    > >SLIK
    > >Vanguard
    > >RCA
    > >

    > Can't help with the others, but I used 2 Slik, IIRC, U212s, for about a
    > decade,
    > ending maybe 5-6 years ago. They were very good. Quick release stub was a bit
    > of a PITA compared to my current tripod (but even that's a PITA at times),
    > but
    > they were stable in most use, took a beating and operated easily.
    >
    > Currently, I'm using a Bogen Manfrotto, with a Manfrotto 3039 (I think) head,
    > which I do NOT like.
    >
    > Charlie Self
    >
    > "Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
    > function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state
    > of
    > things." Sir Winston Churchill
    >

    > >Carson Optical
    > >Ambico
    > >SLIK
    > >Vanguard
    > >RCA

    Of these only Slik is a tripod manufacturer. The others are all private
    label made wherever.

    Tripod manufacturers are: Giottos, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Slik, Velbon,
    Bilora, etc.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Scott Harper

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    If they are very similar they might all be the same Korean or Chinese made
    junk. Bogen makes good tripods and even their cheapest model is dependable.
    Of the brands you list only SLIK is a manufacturer and most of their pods
    are not particularly good. By the time you find a sturdy SLIK you are above
    the price of a good Bogen - the Jr. is about $80 at Adorama and the 2001
    with a simple head would be about 130.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Nov 13, 2003
  6. I recycled my wife's old "Velbon Victory 550" tripod by drilling a 3/16"
    hole, then tapping with a 1/4:20 tap into the top of it to mount a stub of
    1/4:20 threaded rod (or you could use bolt). This fit the threaded hole in
    my HP 620.
    I'm no photographer, but I hope it'll do the trick, once stub of threaded
    rod secured above & below tripod with nuts & washers.

    Peter

    Peter Shepherd, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Scott Harper

    Yip Yap Guest

    c (Scott Harper) wrote in message news:<d0Rsb.2509$>...
    > Does anyone have any experience with the following tripod manufactures?
    > I'm looking at a low-end "telescoping" tripod, and other than a 2-way
    > vs. a 3-way panhead, these manufacturers have very similar products.
    > Just wondering if there was some conventional wisdom out there regarding
    > which ones to avoid...
    >
    > Carson Optical
    > Ambico
    > SLIK
    > Vanguard
    > RCA

    You didn't mention Velbon on your list.
    I've got the low-end Velbon CX 300
    which cost $25 at the Sunnyvale Fry's, and
    it's very nice for a simple and light
    tripod.

    B&H Photo sells this brand.

    -- Yip

    Yip Yap, Nov 14, 2003
  8. c (Scott Harper) writes:

    > I'm looking at a low-end "telescoping" tripod, and other than a 2-way

    Hi, Scott, If I may join the chorus recommending not using a cheap tripod
    -- I bought one, trying to save money, as I wouldn't be using it much. It
    worked fine for awhile. The tripod over time developed more and more
    jiggling as a slow rate, so that I didn't notice that it wasn't really
    stable. It fell apart on me when I needed it (nothing ever falls apart when
    you aren't needing it), and I was left trying to cobble the tripod together
    without all the parts. (They also don't fall apart where you can find all
    the part.) So I bought a good, expensive tripod. I was shocked a how stable
    it was and how much better it was to use.

    Comparing a new cheap piece o' crap to a decent tripod may not show a lot
    of difference, but give it awhile as it loses its tension, screws and rivet
    come loose, and the telescoping sections develop play, then compare it to a
    decent tripod of the same age.

    If you do buy a cheap one, please be sure to toss it before it falls apart
    and buy a new one to replace it. Having it fail in the field is not fun.

    Phil Stripling, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Scott Harper

    Mark Hanson Guest

    > Does anyone have any experience with the following tripod manufactures?
    > I'm looking at a low-end "telescoping" tripod, and other than a 2-way
    > vs. a 3-way panhead, these manufacturers have very similar products.
    > Just wondering if there was some conventional wisdom out there regarding
    > which ones to avoid...

    Before I went digital over the summer I bought a Cullman 54101 from Adorama,
    for my old Rebel G and its cheap kit glass. I'd never heard of the brand
    (nor many others, to be honest), but it was light and about $50. Turns out
    it's pretty good for what it gives me: aluminum, light, easy to set up and
    take down. The head's a little stiff, but I don't use it often enough to
    mind. Of course, now I have a 10D and 3 moderately heavy lenses, and I see a
    nice Gitzo or Bogen in my future. But in the meantime, it's perfectly
    adequate, especially for hiking.

    Mark

    Mark Hanson, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Scott Harper

    jean Guest

    We have a Velbon Sherpa 450, at around $100 Cad. So far it looks quite
    sturdy.

    Jean

    jean, Nov 14, 2003