    I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
    give up IOS and go with another vendor?
    , Feb 22, 2010

  2. Mark Huizer Guest

    The wise enlightened me with:
    > I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest
    > Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be
    > able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot
    > of money.)
    >
    > I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
    > give up IOS and go with another vendor?

    For simple layer2 work, I'd say: go with HP Procurve. Decent CLI, decent
    prices. if you want it to do anything complex: stick to other stuff :)
    (just my 5 eurocent)

    Mark
    Mark Huizer, Feb 22, 2010

  3. "" <> writes:
    >I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest
    >Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be
    >able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot
    >of money.)

    >I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
    >give up IOS and go with another vendor?

    Thats just about the perfect match to Cisco's cheapest catalyst
    switch, the WS-C2960G-8TC-L $1395 list (which nobody pays, but its a
    base start, looks like some really deap discounts for this one).
    8-ports of copper GigE on a managed layer-2 switch. They also have a
    24-port and 48-port in this series, a bit cheaper per-port cost, but
    still up there ($137/$124).

    If you need to go cheaper, Cisco Small-Business (ie. linksys moving up
    into the Cisco name product line), has the SRW2008 for alot less.
    This one is going to be "web managed", but I don't know what your
    definition of managed is. In general, web managed doesn't have SNMP,
    but I haven't used this one (but have other vendors "web managed" ones).

    I like the Dell switches for cheap, managed gig switches. They OEM
    them from somewhere, but they've been pretty solid for us overall.
    Doug McIntyre, Feb 22, 2010
  4. alexd Guest

    On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:03:49 +0000, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > has the SRW2008 for alot less. This
    > one is going to be "web managed", but I don't know what your definition
    > of managed is. In general, web managed doesn't have SNMP, but I haven't
    > used this one (but have other vendors "web managed" ones).

    I've found the web interfaces on SRW2xxx to be seriously unimpressive:
    ugly, clunky and IE-only. Not impressive for a switch made in 2010.

    > I like the Dell switches for cheap, managed gig switches. They OEM them
    > from somewhere, but they've been pretty solid for us overall.

    Marvell I reckon, same place that the CSB SFE2xxx switches come from
    [check the CLI, it's identical].

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:08:12 up 8 days, 59 min, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.06
    alexd, Feb 23, 2010