    they'll sell for this Christmas. Last year they were as low as $25 dollars.

    Merry Christmas!

    -DVDfanatico
    DVDfanatico, Oct 15, 2004

  2. DVDfanatico

    David Z Guest

    Speaking of which, why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs? Something which
    is better should be more expensive. Can you imagine if a Mercedes cost less
    than a Kia?

    David Z, Oct 15, 2004

  3. DVDfanatico

    Kevin Guest

    David Z <> wrote:
    > Speaking of which, why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs? Something which
    > is better should be more expensive. Can you imagine if a Mercedes cost less
    > than a Kia?

    But a Mercedes costs more than a Kia because it uses higher quality parts,
    workmanship, higher-grade materials, as well as more features, and of course
    you're paying for the name. Mercedes and Kia represent two ends of the scale
    for cars... I think DVD players work muh the same way. Your $25 DVD player
    would be the Kia of DVD players, and the Mercedes would be perhaps the
    big Harmon/Kardon units or whatever other fancy high-end DVD players that
    cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

    If you think about it, DVD players have fewer moving parts and a simpler
    mechanism than a VCR. Optical transports are everywhere (or even just use
    an IDE interface to a DVD-ROM drive), and you just tack on some firmware, a
    few jacks and a couple of buttons. I wouldn't be surprised if it's now
    possible to "make a DVD player from scratch" as a project for a high-school
    or university class. It'd be real tough to do that with a VCR.
    Kevin, Oct 15, 2004
  4. David Z wrote:
    > Speaking of which, why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs? Something which
    > is better should be more expensive. Can you imagine if a Mercedes cost less
    > than a Kia?
    >
    > "DVDfanatico" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is the cheapest you've seen players go for? I'm just wondering what
    >>they'll sell for this Christmas. Last year they were as low as $25
    >>dollars.
    >>
    >>Merry Christmas!
    >>
    >>-DVDfanatico

    one consideration is taht dvd players require less moving parts and is
    essentially a reworking of conventional cd players for a lot of the
    mechanisms.
    Vincent Formosa, Oct 15, 2004
  5. DVDfanatico

    Mac Cool Guest

    David Z:

    > Speaking of which, why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs?

    There is more competition in DVD players, while VCR sales are dwindling.

    --
    Mac Cool
    Mac Cool, Oct 15, 2004
  6. DVDfanatico

    AAbrams0264 Guest

    << why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs? >>

    i think it has to do with the fact that the mechanism of a VCR is more
    complicated (and has more parts) than that of a DVD player.
    AAbrams0264, Oct 15, 2004
  7. >
    >What is the cheapest you've seen players go for? I'm just wondering what
    >they'll sell for this Christmas. Last year they were as low as $25 dollars.

    The cheapest I've seen so far was a Coby DVD player on sale at Rex TV/Stereo
    for $30. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 15, 2004
  8. >Speaking of which, why are DVD players cheaper than VCRs? Something which
    >is better should be more expensive. Can you imagine if a Mercedes cost less
    >than a Kia?

    Because DVD players are nowhere near as complex as a VCR. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 15, 2004
  9. DVDfanatico

    Galley Guest

    On 15 Oct 2004 10:05:16 GMT, (DVDfanatico) spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >What is the cheapest you've seen players go for? I'm just wondering what
    >they'll sell for this Christmas. Last year they were as low as $25 dollars.
    >
    >Merry Christmas!
    >
    >-DVDfanatico

    I saw some Cyberhome players at Best Buy once for $19.99 without rebate.

    Galley
    Galley, Oct 16, 2004