Inexpensive, but reliable DVD burner?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by fugitive, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. fugitive

    fugitive Guest

    fugitive, Mar 9, 2005

  2. fugitive

    Frohike Guest

    "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    > burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    > can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    > TIA
    >
    > greg

    Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
    Frohike, Mar 10, 2005

  3. fugitive

    fugitive Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <>
    wrote:

    >"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    >>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> greg

    >Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.

    Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

    Greg
    http://gregsplace.50megs.com
    http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1
    fugitive, Mar 10, 2005
  4. "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    >>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >>> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >>> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> greg

    >>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
    >>

    > Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

    nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

    Dr Hackenbush, Mar 10, 2005
  5. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:18:08 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
    wrote:

    >I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >TIA
    >
    >greg

    Their are many available today at less than $100.00 and in some cases
    (with rebates) less than $60.00.
    E. Barry Bruyea, Mar 10, 2005
  6. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:53:05 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    >>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >>> burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >>> can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> greg

    >>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
    >>

    >Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?

    More capacity, but the problem is that right now the media is
    ridiculously expensive.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Dr Hackenbush wrote:
    > "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message

    >>> Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn
    >>> for $70.
    >>>

    >> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
    >>

    > nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

    and about 7 times the price of a single layer DVD but prices are going down.
    Quantum Leaper, Mar 10, 2005
  8. fugitive

    fugitive Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:31 GMT, "Dr Hackenbush"
    <> wrote:

    >"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:16:27 GMT, "Frohike" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message

    >>>Why get refurb? You can get a brand new dual-layer NEC or LiteOn for $70.
    >>>

    >> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
    >>

    >nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

    Wow, when did that come out, as I never heard of it?

    fugitive, Mar 10, 2005
  9. fugitive

    fugitive Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:57:32 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:18:08 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >>burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >>can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>greg

    >Their are many available today at less than $100.00 and in some cases
    >(with rebates) less than $60.00.

    Is Pioneer a good one?

    fugitive, Mar 10, 2005
  10. fugitive

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:33:33 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink> wrote:
    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:31 GMT, "Dr Hackenbush"
    ><> wrote:

    >>"fugitive" <gregfarr@earthlink..net> wrote in message

    >>> Ok, now what is the significance of dual layer?
    >>>

    >>nearly double the amount of data 9gig instead of 4.7

    >Wow, when did that come out, as I never heard of it?

    That's a good question. Double layer readers have existed since the dawn of DVD
    movies.

    You should have been surprised to learn of a writer being able to write to
    a DL blank.

    In any case, DL is still very new and still very expensive. A pack of
    30 blank disks costs more than the burner.

    <cue idiotic followup that it takes 20 or 40 disks to cost more than the
    burner>
    TCS, Mar 10, 2005
  11. fugitive

    Donald Link Guest

    wrote:

    >I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >TIA

    A good rule of thumg is to stay with the name brands, of which their
    are many. Also, ebay is not the best place to pick up DVD burners
    since everyone seems to pay a lot more than necessary. I find when it
    comes to DVD burners, it just pays to wait until they are one sale at
    the local computer chain stores. Good places for decent sales prices
    are Frys, CompUSA, and sometime circuit city. At time Staple, Office
    Max, or Office Depot have good sales. Again, stay away from the house
    brands such as Micro Advantage from Office Max.
    Donald Link, Mar 11, 2005
  12. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:34:26 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:57:32 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:18:08 GMT, fugitive <gregfarr@earthlink..net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >>>burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >>>can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>greg

    >>Their are many available today at less than $100.00 and in some cases
    >>(with rebates) less than $60.00.

    >Is Pioneer a good one?

    Depends which model. A lot of them appear to be media sensitive. I
    dumped an HP, which was all to fussy what it would burn and bought an
    LG, which so far hasn't rejected anything. The LG will also burn duel
    layer, which I haven't tried because of the cost of the media.
    E. Barry Bruyea, Mar 11, 2005
  13. fugitive

    Zygon Curry Guest

    wrote:

    >Is Pioneer a good one?

    I have three Pioneer DVD Writers in my computers and they work
    brilliantly. Two of them are Dual Layer. the other advantage is that
    they are also very easy to region hack to make them multi-region and
    allows you to play imported DVDs.

    I also have a Sony DVD Writer in another computer but I never use it
    to burn DVDs with. It's far to slow.
    Zygon Curry, Mar 11, 2005
  14. >>Is Pioneer a good one?

    > >E. Barry Bruyea <it'> wrote:

    >Depends which model. A lot of them appear to be media sensitive. I
    >dumped an HP, which was all to fussy what it would burn and bought an
    >LG, which so far hasn't rejected anything. The LG will also burn duel
    >layer, which I haven't tried because of the cost of the media.

    I bought the LG4163B a month ago for CAD$80. Not a single coaster so
    far.
    Maureen Goldman, Mar 11, 2005
  15. fugitive

    RichA Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:44:07 -0800, Maureen Goldman
    <> wrote:

    >>>Is Pioneer a good one?

    >> >E. Barry Bruyea <it'> wrote:

    >>Depends which model. A lot of them appear to be media sensitive. I
    >>dumped an HP, which was all to fussy what it would burn and bought an
    >>LG, which so far hasn't rejected anything. The LG will also burn duel
    >>layer, which I haven't tried because of the cost of the media.

    >I bought the LG4163B a month ago for CAD$80. Not a single coaster so
    >far.

    Sony's DRU-710A works well. About $109 Can. Does dual layer and
    burns DVD+R at 16x, if you have the media to do it with. No failures
    after 100 discs.
    -Rich
    RichA, Mar 12, 2005
  16. > Maureen Goldman
    >>I bought the LG4163B a month ago for CAD$80. Not a single coaster so
    >>far.

    > >RichA <> wrote:

    >Sony's DRU-710A works well. About $109 Can. Does dual layer and
    >burns DVD+R at 16x, if you have the media to do it with. No failures
    >after 100 discs.

    The LG4163B also handles dual layer and burns DVDs at 16x. Here's a
    link to a detailed and lengthy review dated January 13, 2005:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/172
    Maureen Goldman, Mar 12, 2005
  17. fugitive

    fugitive Guest

    Re: Inexpensive, but reliable DVD burner? - DVD burner NuTech DDW.gif (0/1)

    wrote:

    >I have been doing CD's for years, but now it's time to buy a DVD
    >burner. I'm on a pension, so can't afford multi hundreds for one. I
    >can use ebay or refurbished, just need on good reliable burner.
    >TIA
    >greg
    >Greg
    >http://gregsplace.50megs.com
    >http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

    Ok, right or wrong, folks, this is what I bought.

    fugitive, Mar 14, 2005