    the sub 1 Ghz celerons ? Do you have a source ? Any advice ?

    Thank you,

    Daniel

    Daniel, Jul 10, 2004

  2. For what is sounds like you do, Daniel, I would recommend the Dell Inspiron
    1000 Laptop. You could get one for about $700 I think that would have plenty
    of speed, memory and hard drive for what you want to do. It comes with a one
    year warranty but you can upgrade it up to 4 years. Right now all Dell's
    laptops have free shipping and are 10% off.

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking for a new, with warranty, laptop just for web surfing and

    email,
    > mostly just research, all very, very basic functions. Most of what I

    found,
    > even the least expensive ones, are "too much hardware" for my needs (and

    are

    Matthew Henderson, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thank you for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

    Where could I get the Dell Inspiron 1000 for about $700 ? Dell sells it for
    about $1000 since the last time I checked their site :(((

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    Daniel, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Try Best Buy.

    Hank Sniadoch, Jul 10, 2004
  5. BestBuy doesn't sell Dells but anyway, anything on the market now should be
    adequate for your needs pretty much regardless of price, so you can get
    something cheap. I just would not buy anything with less than 256 MB RAM
    ever. Windows with less than this is just painful. (Though you could get
    something with very little memory and upgrade it later). You can get the
    Inspiron 1000 on Dell's site for $736.00 and from what I understand about
    your needs it would adequate.

    Andrew Watiker, Jul 10, 2004
  6. dell.com has lowered their prices and I think they are 10% off so for the
    configuration I mentioued you could get one for $700-800

    Matthew Henderson, Jul 17, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Justin Guest

    "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in

    > BestBuy doesn't sell Dells but anyway, anything on the market now
    > should be adequate for your needs pretty much regardless of price, so
    > you can get something cheap. I just would not buy anything with less
    > than 256 MB RAM ever. Windows with less than this is just painful.

    Yep. I just fixed my technophobe neighbor's PC (formatted the HD and
    reinstalled XP). It's a decent machine: a 2 year old Compaq, 2000mhz
    Celeron CPU, CD-R drive, etc. but only has 128MB RAM. I told him I could
    get him another 128MB RAM and put it in for free and his PC will be a lot
    faster. "I don't need more RAM; 128 MB is fine for me." Ignorance is
    bliss, I suppose. "I don't need broadband" is another statement I hear
    often; always by someone who's never actually used broadband.

    Justin, Jul 18, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Matthew Guest

    "Justin" <justin1138@REMOVEnet> wrote in message
    >Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. "I don't need broadband" is another

    statement I hear often; always by someone who's never actually used
    broadband.

    Amen to that.

    Matthew, Jul 19, 2004