    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel
    Charlie Russel-MVP, Sep 30, 2010

  2. Charlie Russel-MVP

    Drew Guest

    Spammers! we don't need no stinking spammers!!

    Drew, Oct 1, 2010

  3. Charlie Russel-MVP

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel-MVP" <> wrote:

    > You'll notice that we're starting to pick up some SPAM in the
    > newsgroup.

    Spammers are preferable to Linux trolls IMHO.....

    NOTE: Filtering posts from Google Groups will eliminate 90% of spam in
    any newsgroup since Google seems to welcome and even encourate
    spammers.

    NOTE2: Filtering cross posted stuff eliminates a bunch more spammers.

    See link in signature for help in filtering Google Groupers.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 1, 2010
  4. Charlie Russel-MVP

    Steve Foster Guest

    Charlie Russel-MVP wrote:

    > You'll notice that we're starting to pick up some SPAM in the
    > newsgroup. There's really nothing we can do about it any more, since
    > we no longer have the MS filters working, nor the ability to have
    > specific messages deleted. (I suppose it's possible that sending
    > cancel requests might work, but I have my doubts.) IAC, we'll just
    > have to live with at least some of this, but please don't reply to
    > the spammers or give them any encouragement whatsoever. Thanks!

    Can't say as I've noticed. But then Eternal September have their own
    anti-spam measures.

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
    Steve Foster, Oct 1, 2010
  5. Charlie Russel-MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Charlie,
    I am using google groups
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general/topics
    to access this newsgroup.
    I have reported both posts as SPAM as there is a clickable option
    saying "Report as SPAM".
    Now it says "Reported Thread"
    Will check later if they are deleted.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 1, 2010
  6. Unfortunately, when you filter GG, you also filter some of our best posters
    / community members. With the death of the MS hosting of this group, GG is
    just about the only Web way to post to the NG. And some folks, such as
    Carlos, can only post via the Web when they're at work. So thanks, but I'll
    pass on filtering all google groups.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Oct 1, 2010
  7. Charlie Russel-MVP

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel-MVP" <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, when you filter GG, you also filter some of our
    > best posters / community members.

    It's very easy to 'whitelist' those you wish to keep.

    > So thanks, but I'll pass on filtering all google groups.

    Foolish move, by scoring properly I can see replies to GGer's if I so
    desire and so I can decide if I want to exclude the OP from the filter.
    It's quick, easy, etc. etc. but it does require a newsreader with
    scoring capabilitie...

    A couple of mouse clicks every now and then is a small price to pay for
    no spam.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Oct 2, 2010
  8. Charlie Russel-MVP

    John Turco Guest

    Charlie Russel-MVP wrote:

    > You'll notice that we're starting to pick up some SPAM in the newsgroup.
    > There's really nothing we can do about it any more, since we no longer have
    > the MS filters working, nor the ability to have specific messages deleted.
    > (I suppose it's possible that sending cancel requests might work, but I have
    > my doubts.) IAC, we'll just have to live with at least some of this, but
    > please don't reply to the spammers or give them any encouragement
    > whatsoever. Thanks!

    What >I've< noticed (far more than the negligible amount of spam), is
    that our newsgroup has virtually died, this month (October, 2010).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2010