Inertial Scrolling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 11, 2010.

  1. I wonder if anyone else has thought of this idea, to view a page on a
    handheld device with a screen too small to show the whole page at once (such
    as a smartphone).

    The usual way is to press buttons on the phone, or on various parts of a
    touch-sensitive screen. Or make touch gestures, that kind of thing. But some
    of these devices have accelerometers which can sense when they move, so why
    not use that?

    The basic effect is as though the whole page is floating in space in front
    of you, and as you move the device about, it shows you the part of the page
    that happens to lie within the area of its screen. So instead of moving the
    page about the screen, you move the screen about the page.

    It would be nice if this took orientation of the device into account as
    well. This means you can rotate the device without moving the page, perhaps
    to get a better view of a horizontally-oriented photo versus a vertically-
    oriented column of text, that kind of thing.

    And what about zooming in and out? Hold the phone closer to see more of the
    page, albeit at a smaller view? Move it further to zoom in? Or should it
    work the opposite way?

    It would make sense for controls like “next page†and “previous page†etc to
    be anchored to the page, not to the screen. That means you’d have to move
    the device to the appropriate part of the page before you could access those
    controls. Seems to me this makes the best use of scarce screen real estate.

    Thoughts, anyone?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 11, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:15:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I wonder if anyone else has thought of this idea, to view a page on a
    > handheld device with a screen too small to show the whole page at once
    > (such as a smartphone).
    >
    > The usual way is to press buttons on the phone, or on various parts of a
    > touch-sensitive screen. Or make touch gestures, that kind of thing. But
    > some of these devices have accelerometers which can sense when they
    > move, so why not use that?
    >
    > The basic effect is as though the whole page is floating in space in
    > front of you, and as you move the device about, it shows you the part of
    > the page that happens to lie within the area of its screen. So instead
    > of moving the page about the screen, you move the screen about the page.
    >
    > It would be nice if this took orientation of the device into account as
    > well. This means you can rotate the device without moving the page,
    > perhaps to get a better view of a horizontally-oriented photo versus a
    > vertically- oriented column of text, that kind of thing.
    >
    > And what about zooming in and out? Hold the phone closer to see more of
    > the page, albeit at a smaller view? Move it further to zoom in? Or
    > should it work the opposite way?
    >
    > It would make sense for controls like “next page†and “previous pageâ€
    > etc to be anchored to the page, not to the screen. That means you’d have
    > to move the device to the appropriate part of the page before you could
    > access those controls. Seems to me this makes the best use of scarce
    > screen real estate.
    >
    > Thoughts, anyone?

    Using it on the train would be an interesting experience.

    Roger_Nickel, Feb 15, 2010

  3. In message <>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Using it on the train would be an interesting experience.

    I was wondering about motion sickness. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 15, 2010