INDY TEMPLE OF DOOM: Region 2 Cut?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by alex crouvier, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    music and images

    Thanks
     
    alex crouvier, Oct 25, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "alex crouvier" <> writes:

    > I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    > I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    > music and images


    I don't know what British censors cut from TOD, but I'd like to point
    out that not all region 2 releases are cut. In the nordic countries
    (Sweden, Finland) its uncut and I'd suspect there's others
    as well.

    --
    Paikka on varattu
    vali deille
    an uksille
     
    Pentti Lajunen, Oct 25, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. alex crouvier

    Guest

    On 25 Oct 2003 19:15:36 +0300, Pentti Lajunen <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"alex crouvier" <> writes:
    >
    >> I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    >> I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    >> music and images

    >
    >I don't know what British censors cut from TOD, but I'd like to point
    >out that not all region 2 releases are cut. In the nordic countries
    >(Sweden, Finland) its uncut and I'd suspect there's others
    >as well.


    FUNNY!

    PS I personally prefer cut : )
     
    , Oct 25, 2003
    #3
  4. alex crouvier

    Ami Guest

    i believe about 1min of cuts have been made, one is when the indian guy
    takes out a heart and you see it beat, another one is the chinese kid being
    whipped and where he finds out his ability to heal after someone gets hurt

    its only the UK R2 thats been cut, all other R2 are fine

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 25 Oct 2003 19:15:36 +0300, Pentti Lajunen <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"alex crouvier" <> writes:
    > >
    > >> I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    > >> I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    > >> music and images

    > >
    > >I don't know what British censors cut from TOD, but I'd like to point
    > >out that not all region 2 releases are cut. In the nordic countries
    > >(Sweden, Finland) its uncut and I'd suspect there's others
    > >as well.

    >
    > FUNNY!
    >
    > PS I personally prefer cut : )
    >
     
    Ami, Oct 26, 2003
    #4
  5. alex crouvier

    Clare Quilty Guest

    > >> I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    > >> I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    > >> music and images


    1min 6 secs I believe .. mostly to the sacrifice scene. The BBFC did not cut
    it, it was provided to them for DVD classification pre-cut by Paramount.

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!
     
    Clare Quilty, Oct 26, 2003
    #5
  6. alex crouvier

    Roberts Guest

    Clare Quilty wrote:
    >>>> I understand TEMPLE OF DOOM is cut by BBFC
    >>>> I wonder if this cut is substantial or disrupt the flow of
    >>>> music and images

    >
    > 1min 6 secs I believe .. mostly to the sacrifice scene. The BBFC did
    > not cut it, it was provided to them for DVD classification pre-cut by
    > Paramount.


    Yes, but those cuts were originally made in 1984 to satisfy the BBFC (or
    made to get a rating with more commercial potential, depending upon who you
    like to 'blame').

    S.
     
    Roberts, Oct 26, 2003
    #6
  7. alex crouvier

    Clare Quilty Guest

    > Yes, but those cuts were originally made in 1984 to satisfy the BBFC (or
    > made to get a rating with more commercial potential, depending upon who

    you
    > like to 'blame').
    >
    > S.


    True, but that was under Ferman I do believe. The BBFC are quite a
    reasonable organisation now.

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!
     
    Clare Quilty, Oct 26, 2003
    #7
  8. alex crouvier

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Pentti Lajunen <> wrote:

    > I don't know what British censors cut from TOD, but I'd like to point
    > out that not all region 2 releases are cut.


    I saw the Press show, at the time of the release, and the release a few
    days later.

    It's missing the actual moment where Mola Ram's hand sinks into the
    victim's chest. And, the shot of the victim screaming on fire and
    moving about while in the lava pit (although the same shot and a behind
    the scenes FX piece was shown on British children's morning TV at the
    time of the release....bizarre.)
     
    Peter Briggs, Oct 26, 2003
    #8
  9. alex crouvier

    Wade365 Guest

    << It's missing the actual moment where Mola Ram's hand sinks into the
    victim's chest. And, the shot of the victim screaming on fire and
    moving about while in the lava pit >>

    And this was cut out of the DVD by cencors? Why? I mean, it's a home title
    isn't it? It's not for broadcast (I can definitely understand why that would
    end up happening)...

    I hate to sound ignorant but I'll cop to being so in this instance... does this
    happen with a lot of material in the UK?
     
    Wade365, Oct 26, 2003
    #9
  10. Wade365 <> wrote:
    [material cut from _Temple of Doom_ in the UK]
    > And this was cut out of the DVD by cencors? Why? I mean, it's a home title
    > isn't it? It's not for broadcast....does this happen with a lot of material
    > in the UK?


    The BBFC, the UK's film censors, are generally stricter about home
    video than about cinematic releases (witness the length of time
    _Reservoir Dogs_ ran in cinemas before it was certified for video
    release). I believe this is because videotapes or DVDs can be watched
    by young children on their own, whereas it's fairly hard for them to
    get in to see a 15 or 18 certificate film: unlike in the US, there's no
    "parent or guardian" exception for these ratings.

    See <http://www.movie-ratings.net/movieratings_uk.shtml> for a
    discussion of this subject:

    ...the BBFC has recognized the inherent differences between
    video and theatrical viewing. For instance, young people may
    view a video repeatedly, allowing them to more accurately
    mimic undesirable behaviors such as illegal drug use. As well,
    it is understood that a video may be watched without adults
    present, and is shown with far less control than a theatrical
    presentation. As a result, the BBFC may classify movies
    released on video into a more restrictive rating than when
    the same movie was available in theaters.

    This is in contrast to the US, where the MPAA makes it hard to get
    certain kinds of material into cinemas (since many media won't carry
    advertising for unrated films), but where it's very easy to get that
    same material on home video (since tapes/DVDs don't *have* to be rated
    by the MPAA to sell).

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    --Eno
     
    Douglas Bailey, Oct 27, 2003
    #10
  11. alex crouvier

    Jens Thomsen Guest

    "Wade365" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:...
    > << It's missing the actual moment where Mola Ram's hand sinks into the
    > victim's chest. And, the shot of the victim screaming on fire and
    > moving about while in the lava pit >>
    >
    > And this was cut out of the DVD by cencors?


    No. These cuts are old. Paramount did not enter the uncut version for
    classification, which is kind of stupid since the BBFC have become much more
    soft since 1984. The film would most likely have passed uncut this time, but
    Paramount didn't even take the chance. Blame it all on them!

    /Jens
     
    Jens Thomsen, Oct 27, 2003
    #11
  12. alex crouvier

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Wade365 <> wrote:

    > I hate to sound ignorant but I'll cop to being so in this instance... does
    > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?


    It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    "The Abyss". Snip-snip.

    I looked through the box-set on fast-forward last night. The colour
    quality of "Raiders" is staggering....better than any cinema print I've
    ever seen.

    I have to say, though. I have a feeling that there's a helluva lot more
    than some "scratch removal and cleanup" done to these discs. I'm going
    to have to drag out some old VHS copies for comparison, but...was anyone
    expecting more matte-lines in some of the FX shots? I'd love to see
    some A-B comparisons on the web.

    I actually enjoyed parts of "Temple Of Doom" more than I thought I
    would, and liked "Last Crusade" even less.
     
    Peter Briggs, Oct 27, 2003
    #12
  13. alex crouvier

    Smaug69 Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in message news:<1g3hod4.1qtkg2m1tbks5cN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>...
    > Wade365 <> wrote:
    >
    > > I hate to sound ignorant but I'll cop to being so in this instance... does
    > > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?

    >
    > It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    > "The Abyss". Snip-snip.
    >
    > I looked through the box-set on fast-forward last night. The colour
    > quality of "Raiders" is staggering....better than any cinema print I've
    > ever seen.


    It is quite spectacular, isn't it?

    > I have to say, though. I have a feeling that there's a helluva lot more
    > than some "scratch removal and cleanup" done to these discs. I'm going
    > to have to drag out some old VHS copies for comparison, but...was anyone
    > expecting more matte-lines in some of the FX shots? I'd love to see
    > some A-B comparisons on the web.


    I kept wondering the same thing. I like clean films, but it seemed a
    little too clean for a 20+ year-old film.

    > I actually enjoyed parts of "Temple Of Doom" more than I thought I
    > would, and liked "Last Crusade" even less.


    I've always wondered why the third film didn't do it for me like the
    other two and I think I finally figured it out: Knowing Indiana has a
    dad and having him hitch along for part of the ride. It's hard to get
    into the high adventure spirit if you have to drag the old man along.
    And this is nothing against Connery, I just don't think it was a good
    idea to saddle Indiana with a parent. Sure, it provided some comic
    relief, but can you imagine what the first film would have been like
    if Indy had to take care of both Marion and her father? It changes the
    whole dynamic of the story.

    Smaug69
     
    Smaug69, Oct 27, 2003
    #13
  14. alex crouvier

    Wade365 Guest

    << does
    > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?


    It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    "The Abyss". Snip-snip. >>

    Now THAT is weird... grabbing hearts out of rib cages I can see, but a rat
    (which is obviously a bit stressed at first but not getting eviscerated or
    anything)?

    Thanks for the explaination!
     
    Wade365, Oct 27, 2003
    #14
  15. "Clare Quilty" <> wrote in message
    news:3f9c1131$0$28261$...
    > > Yes, but those cuts were originally made in 1984 to satisfy the BBFC (or
    > > made to get a rating with more commercial potential, depending upon who

    > you
    > > like to 'blame').
    > >
    > > S.

    >
    > True, but that was under Ferman I do believe. The BBFC are quite a
    > reasonable organisation now.


    I still would have expected an uncut TOD to get a 12 though.

    The Unnaturalist.
     
    The Unnaturalist, Oct 27, 2003
    #15
  16. alex crouvier

    Chris Ashby Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > << does
    > > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?

    >
    > It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    > "The Abyss". Snip-snip. >>
    >
    > Now THAT is weird... grabbing hearts out of rib cages I can see, but a rat
    > (which is obviously a bit stressed at first but not getting eviscerated or
    > anything)?
    >
    > Thanks for the explaination!


    It's the stress that the animal is suffering that causes it to be cut.
     
    Chris Ashby, Oct 28, 2003
    #16
  17. alex crouvier

    Wade365 Guest

    << It's the stress that the animal is suffering that causes it to be cut. >>

    I understand, there's just usually worse things on the 4pm news.
     
    Wade365, Oct 29, 2003
    #17
  18. On 27 Oct 2003 10:35:54 -0800, Smaug69 <> wrote:

    > pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in message
    > news:<1g3hod4.1qtkg2m1tbks5cN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>...
    >> Wade365 <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I hate to sound ignorant but I'll cop to being so in this instance...

    >> does
    >> > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?

    >>
    >> It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    >> "The Abyss". Snip-snip.
    >>
    >> I looked through the box-set on fast-forward last night. The colour
    >> quality of "Raiders" is staggering....better than any cinema print I've
    >> ever seen.

    >
    > It is quite spectacular, isn't it?
    >
    >> I have to say, though. I have a feeling that there's a helluva lot more
    >> than some "scratch removal and cleanup" done to these discs. I'm going
    >> to have to drag out some old VHS copies for comparison, but...was anyone
    >> expecting more matte-lines in some of the FX shots? I'd love to see
    >> some A-B comparisons on the web.

    >
    > I kept wondering the same thing. I like clean films, but it seemed a
    > little too clean for a 20+ year-old film.
    >
    >> I actually enjoyed parts of "Temple Of Doom" more than I thought I
    >> would, and liked "Last Crusade" even less.

    >
    > I've always wondered why the third film didn't do it for me like the
    > other two and I think I finally figured it out: Knowing Indiana has a
    > dad and having him hitch along for part of the ride. It's hard to get
    > into the high adventure spirit if you have to drag the old man along.
    > And this is nothing against Connery, I just don't think it was a good
    > idea to saddle Indiana with a parent. Sure, it provided some comic
    > relief, but can you imagine what the first film would have been like
    > if Indy had to take care of both Marion and her father? It changes the
    > whole dynamic of the story.


    Hm, but that was extactly the point: to change the dynamic of the story :)

    Yoo don't have to like it, of course, but I find it rather refreshing that
    they added this new spin to the old story ;)

    > Smaug69


    Martin

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!"
    (H.Ford as Dr. H.Jones Jr. in "Raiders of the Lost Ark")
    ----------------------------------------------------------
     
    Martin Schemitsch, Oct 29, 2003
    #18
  19. alex crouvier

    Chris Ashby Guest

    "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > << It's the stress that the animal is suffering that causes it to be cut.
    >>

    >
    > I understand, there's just usually worse things on the 4pm news.


    I think you are misunderstanding me. It's not that the animal appears
    distressed on screen. It was cut because the BBFC could not get the
    assurances it required that the rat was not being caused actual distress
    during the filming of the scene.

    It's all a bit silly anyway.

    This article describes the law and their interpretation of it.

    http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/bpcruel.htm
     
    Chris Ashby, Oct 29, 2003
    #19
  20. alex crouvier

    GMAN Guest

    In article <3f9ea215$>, "Chris Ashby" <> wrote:
    >
    >"Wade365" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> << does
    >> > this happen with a lot of material in the UK?

    >>
    >> It used to. Like the shot of the rat breathing the oxygenated gunk in
    >> "The Abyss". Snip-snip. >>
    >>
    >> Now THAT is weird... grabbing hearts out of rib cages I can see, but a rat
    >> (which is obviously a bit stressed at first but not getting eviscerated or
    >> anything)?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the explaination!

    >
    >It's the stress that the animal is suffering that causes it to be cut.
    >
    >

    What kills me is that theUK censors worry about little things like rats
    breathing liquid oxygen but yet have no problems releasing crap like "28 days
    Later" on the world.....
     
    GMAN, Oct 29, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Rogers

    Indy Temple of doom pan and scan question

    Michael Rogers, Oct 27, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    496
    ymenard
    Oct 28, 2003
  2. dbf
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    482
  3. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    814
    DVD Verdict
    May 7, 2005
  4. Doug MacLean
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    740
    Doug MacLean
    Dec 6, 2005
  5. Curtin/Dobbs

    YOUNG INDY/"Old Indy" Question

    Curtin/Dobbs, Nov 13, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    449
    Curtin/Dobbs
    Nov 13, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page