Indy sequel canned -sad day for us all...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:09:16 GMT, Shadowspawn <> wrote:

    >:-(

    Works for me. That series should stay retired
    Hitman of Las Vegas, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Shadowspawn Guest

    :-(
    Shadowspawn, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Recordhead Guest

    Yeah becasue (according to AP) Lucas after approving the script now has troble
    with it. What a fucking idiot.
    Recordhead, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:38:35 -0800]:
    > Recordhead wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah becasue (according to AP) Lucas after approving the script now has troble
    >> with it.

    > As his last "Okay, this is *really* it this time!...One LAST sure-fire
    > script before we can it!" attempt, George thought a Frank Darabont
    > script would be just the thing--
    > It's just too bad nobody more familiar with Darabont had mentioned that
    > little...you know...M-word to to Lucas *before* he'd gotten the script?

    Mature?
    Justin, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Shadowspawn" <> wrote in message
    > :-(

    I think that's good news. Look at what Lucas has done, driving Star Wars
    into the ground by overdoing it all. Indy has driven his course, with one
    very bad movie, one pretty good movie and one brilliant movie. What would
    be the point of doing a fourth movie featuring a geriatric Jones?

    If this news is true, I'm glad Spielberg/Lucas/Ford/whoever came to their
    senses. Your mileage may vary, but I'm one of those people who thinks that
    some movies simply don't need and shouldn't have sequels. (And I'm damned
    glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Feb 17, 2004
  6. >And I'm damned
    >glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie was
    released. (the original version).

    I don't remember if the sequel said it was approved by Speilberg or not, but
    there was a sequel.

    It was just in printed book format instead of movie format.

    I do seem to remember the book saying it was the sequel to E.T.

    And it was approved by the same movie company that released the original E.T.
    movie.
    Waterperson77, Feb 17, 2004
  7. Recordhead wrote:

    > Yeah becasue (according to AP) Lucas after approving the script now has troble
    > with it.

    As his last "Okay, this is *really* it this time!...One LAST sure-fire
    script before we can it!" attempt, George thought a Frank Darabont
    script would be just the thing--
    It's just too bad nobody more familiar with Darabont had mentioned that
    little...you know...M-word to to Lucas *before* he'd gotten the script?

    Derek Janssen (a majestic endeavour)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:08:12 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >
    >>>As his last "Okay, this is *really* it this time!...One LAST sure-fire
    >>>script before we can it!" attempt, George thought a Frank Darabont
    >>>script would be just the thing--
    >>>It's just too bad nobody more familiar with Darabont had mentioned that
    >>>little...you know...M-word to to Lucas *before* he'd gotten the script?

    >> Mature?

    > "Majestic"...As in, "Ear-bendingly corny Jim Carrey flops".
    > (Now, DON'T tell me you've forgotten?)

    Heh. Well, since George is going in and making even the more mature
    episodes of Star Wars less and less mature....
    Justin, Feb 18, 2004
  9. Justin wrote:

    >>As his last "Okay, this is *really* it this time!...One LAST sure-fire
    >>script before we can it!" attempt, George thought a Frank Darabont
    >>script would be just the thing--
    >>It's just too bad nobody more familiar with Darabont had mentioned that
    >>little...you know...M-word to to Lucas *before* he'd gotten the script?

    > Mature?

    "Majestic"...As in, "Ear-bendingly corny Jim Carrey flops".
    (Now, DON'T tell me you've forgotten?)

    George was apparently still "Shawshank"-blinded (hey, there are a few
    sad cases left), and apparently thought that the director of "Sand
    Pirates of the Sahara" [the fictitious B-movie from "Majestic"] would be
    just the experienced name-screenwriter to tackle a colorfully nostalgic
    Indy sequel--
    Unfortunately, to get it, he'd also have to take the Darabont who'd
    handled the REST of "The Majestic" along with it...And ya gets what ya
    pay for.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Hitman of Las Vegas

    jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >George was apparently still "Shawshank"-blinded (hey, there are a few
    >sad cases left), and apparently thought that the director of "Sand
    >Pirates of the Sahara" [the fictitious B-movie from "Majestic"] would be
    >just the experienced name-screenwriter to tackle a colorfully nostalgic
    >Indy sequel--

    Or perhaps it was that he liked the work that Darabont did on THE
    YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004
  11. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:

    > If this news is true, I'm glad Spielberg/Lucas/Ford/whoever came to their
    > senses. Your mileage may vary, but I'm one of those people who thinks that
    > some movies simply don't need and shouldn't have sequels. (And I'm damned
    > glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    Or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. For a few years in the mid 80's,
    there was talk of a sequal dealing with the Roy Neary character being
    returned to Earth (if you go by the logical theory that an Alien/Human
    swap was what happened at the end of the 1st movie).

    T.B.
    Thomas Bell, Feb 18, 2004
  12. Hitman of Las Vegas

    jayembee Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >(And I'm damned glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    So am I. The original was bad enough.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004
  13. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    > >And I'm damned
    > >glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    > however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie was
    > released. (the original version).
    >
    > I don't remember if the sequel said it was approved by Speilberg or not,

    but
    > there was a sequel.

    No there wasn't.

    > It was just in printed book format instead of movie format.
    >
    > I do seem to remember the book saying it was the sequel to E.T.
    >
    > And it was approved by the same movie company that released the original

    E.T.
    > movie.

    I'm talking about movies, not books.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  14. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Thomas Bell" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    > > If this news is true, I'm glad Spielberg/Lucas/Ford/whoever came to

    their
    > > senses. Your mileage may vary, but I'm one of those people who thinks

    that
    > > some movies simply don't need and shouldn't have sequels. (And I'm

    damned
    > > glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    > Or Close Encounters of the Third Kind. For a few years in the mid 80's,
    > there was talk of a sequal dealing with the Roy Neary character being
    > returned to Earth (if you go by the logical theory that an Alien/Human
    > swap was what happened at the end of the 1st movie).

    Right, that too. Spielberg, of course, was under great pressure to do a
    sequel for E.T. (and probably CE3K, among others of his films), and
    consistently refused. He knew that E.T. stood on its own and told a
    complete story, and any followup could only serve to diminish the original.

    I didn't like that he ended up revisiting E.T. for some Lucasian changes,
    but even there, he seemed to understand it was just a gimmick, and he paid
    respect to his original film by releasing it intact to DVD (so intact that
    it was even more complete than previous video versions, all of which had
    minor alterations, exactly replicating the theatrical presentation). I'm at
    a loss to explain why Lucas doesn't feel obligated to do the same thing...

    (Beating the "but it's his film" critics to the punch: pop in your Star
    Wars laserdisc or VHS tape and go all the way to the end credits. Watch
    them all, and then tell me it's "his" film. Does anyone think John Dykstra
    is happy that most of his brilliant Death Star dogfighting work -
    award-winning sfx revolutionary for their time - is chopped out of the
    Special Edition? There are hundreds of similar examples. The point being,
    filmmaking is a collaborative art, and the SEs disrespect the hundreds of
    artists who *helped* George Lucas bring his vision to life on film, without
    whom he NEVER could have done it. Ok, tangent over.)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  15. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:
    >
    > >(And I'm damned glad Spielberg never did a sequel to E.T.)

    > So am I. The original was bad enough.

    Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha!

    So, do you guys ever discuss DVDs and films without disrespecting each
    others' tastes? Just curious.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  16. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Personally, I'm glad. This was the one franchise cash-in that I was most
    dreading.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 18, 2004
  17. Hitman of Las Vegas

    rwright Guest

    This could be a good thing. I don't think Lucas's STAR WARS prequels have
    done much for the original three flicks! Let's face it, Lucas is a hasbeen.

    rwright, Feb 18, 2004
  18. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Waterperson77, says...
    > however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie

    You sure this was a book, and not something you saw on Canadian cable on
    your 2.35 aspect ratio tv?
    Mark Spatny, Feb 18, 2004
  19. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    > Waterperson77, says...
    > > however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie

    > You sure this was a book, and not something you saw on Canadian cable on
    > your 2.35 aspect ratio tv?

    I knew it! This is the same guy, isn't it? But he's changed his ID. Sorry
    to be behind the times here, but I thought I recognized him by his rambling
    style.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Feb 18, 2004
  20. Hitman of Las Vegas

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:23:54 -0800]:
    > "Mark Spatny" <> wrote in message
    >> Waterperson77, says...
    >> > however, there was a sequel to E.T. a little bit after the first movie

    >> You sure this was a book, and not something you saw on Canadian cable on
    >> your 2.35 aspect ratio tv?

    > I knew it! This is the same guy, isn't it? But he's changed his ID. Sorry
    > to be behind the times here, but I thought I recognized him by his rambling
    > style.

    Yes. Yes he is.
    Justin, Feb 18, 2004