    will no doubt be purists who get tweaked by this, we think most people will
    appreciate the fixed effect.

    Anyway, remember that this is tentative information, so digest accordingly.
    TSKO, Jul 6, 2003

  2. TSKO

    Codswallop Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:31:03 GMT, Patrick McCart wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> > No, it's not a big thing that Spielberg is fixing/changing, it's
    >> > just the point of doing it. It's not necessary. Leave your work
    >> > of art, bumps and warts, alone.

    >> Does this mean "Director's Cuts" shouldn't be released? Cases such
    >> as this don't particularly bother me; as long as the story elements
    >> are untouched I don't really care (i.e. guns -> walkie talkies
    >> changes the story, even if slightly. Greedo shooting first changes a
    >> whole heap. Fixing a technical error changes nothing unless you're
    >> fanatical about errors in films).
    >>

    > This mistake likely wasn't visible in theaters due to the nature of
    > film. A lot of stuff invisible in film prints suddenly stick out on
    > video.
    >
    > When North By Northwest was being digitally cleaned for video, cables
    > holding up an airplane were suddenly seen. In a film print produced in
    > 1959, these cables would be hidden. So, do you keep the cables in or
    > not? Well, if it's not supposed to be there, take it out.
    >
    >The stuff with BTTF is different. That shot has only a split-second of
    >time, so you really wouldn't notice them anyways.

    I agree -- if it wasn't supposed to be there, either because they missed
    it or they didn't have the technology to remove it, then there's no
    problem with removing it.

    I liked the idea of Lucas including the "Jabba" scene in ANH as it was
    meant to be in the original (it's in the novel IIRC) but I don't think
    it was done too well. The "Greedo" scene, on the other hand was always
    meant to have Han shoot first (at least to my fading memory) so is a bad
    inclusion.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Jul 7, 2003

  3. TSKO

    TSKO Guest

    I have no prob with Steve fixing the "glass" scene......very minor in my
    opinion.....and heck, I am just happy to be owning the movies here in a few
    months....

    TSKO, Jul 8, 2003
  4. TSKO

    Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >"Codswallop" <> wrote in message

    >> > No, it's not a big thing that Spielberg is fixing/changing, it's just
    >> > the point of doing it. It's not necessary. Leave your work of art,
    >> > bumps and warts, alone.

    >> Does this mean "Director's Cuts" shouldn't be released? Cases such as
    >> this don't particularly bother me; as long as the story elements are
    >> untouched I don't really care (i.e. guns -> walkie talkies changes the
    >> story, even if slightly. Greedo shooting first changes a whole heap.
    >> Fixing a technical error changes nothing unless you're fanatical about
    >> errors in films).
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Cods
    >>

    >> (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    <Correcting top posting>

    Bill, Jul 8, 2003
  5. TSKO

    Peter Guest

    Harrison Ford seems to have trouble with these protective glass things.
    In Return of the Jedi, as he runs out of the bunker towards the end of
    the movie yelling "Go Go" you see a reflection of him running the
    opposite direction. It's from the same sort of glass protecting him from
    the coming pyrotechniques.

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,
    Peter, Jul 8, 2003