Indoor Photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mmyvusenet, Aug 23, 2011.

  1. mmyvusenet

    mmyvusenet Guest

    mmyvusenet, Aug 23, 2011

  2. mmyvusenet

    Mort Guest

    mmyvusenet wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > These days it's raining in Lima, or there is so much humidity that the days
    > are cloudy, I'm trying to improve indoor photography, and I took this photo:
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6069807209/
    >
    > It would be interesting to know your recommendations in this kind of
    > photography.
    >
    > By the way, I took advantage to take this video in the main square.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/6067609837/
    >
    > Thanks for your comments.
    >
    > --
    > MMYV
    > http://www.mmyv.com

    Hi,

    It's a very nice picture, with natural-appearing lighting, and nice
    framing. Muy bueno, amigo. I tried replying via your Yahoo page, but
    Yahoo refuses to take my valid ID and password.

    Mort
    New York

    Mort, Aug 23, 2011

  3. mmyvusenet

    BobS Guest

    Miguel,

    I would have shot it differently but I wasn't there to judge the limitations
    of taking the shot. Assuming that was the best position and angle you could
    get, then framing the picture in portrait mode, opening the lens to get some
    bokeh on the background and using a fill flash off to the side would make a
    dramatic difference to me. But I'm one that likes the effects of HDR and
    saturated colors.

    Try cropping the shot to get rid of some of the distractions such as the
    wall on the right and reducing the background on the left side. Depending
    on the software you use, you may have other options for bringing out some
    highlights on the face, robe and flowers and make the central subject "jump"
    a little.

    If the photo was taken to just document something you saw as a memento, then
    it works as is for a snapshot. But if you want to do better, then go back
    and shoot it again. Sometimes places do not allow flashes or tripods to be
    used, so you need to get creative. A faster lens, a monopod and a LED
    flashlight (it's not a flash...) may be some things to try.

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 23, 2011
  4. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote:

    >Miguel,
    >
    >I would have shot it differently but I wasn't there to judge the limitations
    >of taking the shot. Assuming that was the best position and angle you could
    >get, then framing the picture in portrait mode, opening the lens to get some
    >bokeh on the background and using a fill flash off to the side would make a
    >dramatic difference to me. But I'm one that likes the effects of HDR and
    >saturated colors.
    >
    >Try cropping the shot to get rid of some of the distractions such as the
    >wall on the right and reducing the background on the left side. Depending
    >on the software you use, you may have other options for bringing out some
    >highlights on the face, robe and flowers and make the central subject "jump"
    >a little.
    >
    >If the photo was taken to just document something you saw as a memento, then
    >it works as is for a snapshot. But if you want to do better, then go back
    >and shoot it again. Sometimes places do not allow flashes or tripods to be
    >used, so you need to get creative. A faster lens, a monopod and a LED
    >flashlight (it's not a flash...) may be some things to try.

    How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

    Just look at all the awards his image got!

    ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 23, 2011
  5. mmyvusenet

    BobS Guest

    Bruce said:

    How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

    Just look at all the awards his image got!

    ;-)

    You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....;-)

    Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
    I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
    year and his improvement has been significant. Now if we can just convince
    him that a CPL would help pop some of those outdoor shots.

    Keep up the good work Miguel !

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 24, 2011
  6. mmyvusenet

    Charles Guest

    The "subject" is lost. Do some work with angles and field of view to let
    folks know what you are trying to tell them.

    If the "subject" is not what I assumed, then perhaps both you and I are
    wrong. You see ... photography is not all that different from other forms
    of communication. The message is what is important and the subject is often
    the key.

    This is a good picture taken by a good camera and there are now billions of
    those!

    Charles, Aug 24, 2011
  7. mmyvusenet

    otter Guest

    On Aug 24, 3:46 pm, "BobS" <> wrote:
    > Bruce said:
    >
    > How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?
    >
    > Just look at all the awards his image got!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....;-)
    >
    > Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
    > I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
    > year and his improvement has been significant.

    It seems like he does. Sometimes. But then he reverts back to
    posting pictures like this.
    It's like that movie "50 First Dates", except I don't think there will
    be a happy ending.

    I almost suspect him to be deliberately trolling this group, just to
    get a rise out of people like me.

    otter, Aug 25, 2011
  8. mmyvusenet

    otter Guest

    On Aug 25, 1:03 am, otter <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 3:46 pm, "BobS" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Bruce said:

    > > How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?

    > > Just look at all the awards his image got!

    > > ;-)

    > > You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....;-)

    > > Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.
    > > I've been following his shots of some very interesting places for the past
    > > year and his improvement has been significant.

    > It seems like he does.  Sometimes.  But then he reverts back to
    > posting pictures like this.
    > It's like that movie "50 First Dates", except I don't think there will
    > be a happy ending.
    >
    > I almost suspect him to be deliberately trolling this group, just to
    > get a rise out of people like me.

    Along these lines, I think I will take a no-negative post policy
    towards Miguel. I know I could just do it, and not say it, but this
    statement will help keep me honest.

    otter, Aug 25, 2011
  9. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote:
    >Bruce said:
    >
    >How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?
    >
    >Just look at all the awards his image got!
    >
    >;-)
    >
    >You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....;-)
    >
    >Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.

    There is no evidence of any improvement here.

    Some months ago an expert photographer posted links to his own web
    site containing many images of the historical city of Lima. It was
    difficult to believe that his captivating, colourful, well-composed,
    detailed and pin sharp images were of the same city as Miguel's dull,
    low contrast, unsharp snapshots.

    Still, he didn't have quite as many "awards" as Miguel. ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 25, 2011
  10. mmyvusenet

    M-M Guest

    In article
    <>,
    otter <> wrote:

    > I think I will take a no-negative post policy
    > towards Miguel

    Why?

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:

    M-M, Aug 25, 2011
  11. mmyvusenet

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:10:00 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >"BobS" <> wrote:
    >>Bruce said:
    >>
    >>How dare you criticise Miguel's efforts?
    >>
    >>Just look at all the awards his image got!
    >>
    >>;-)
    >>
    >>You're right but he doesn't let those awards go to his head either....;-)
    >>
    >>Miguel asks for advice and then actually uses it to improve his photography.

    >There is no evidence of any improvement here.
    >
    >Some months ago an expert photographer posted links to his own web
    >site containing many images of the historical city of Lima. It was
    >difficult to believe that his captivating, colourful, well-composed,
    >detailed and pin sharp images were of the same city as Miguel's dull,
    >low contrast, unsharp snapshots.
    >
    >Still, he didn't have quite as many "awards" as Miguel. ;-)

    You don't pick up "awards" when you put your photographs up on your
    own website. You pick up "awards" like picking up sandspurs at the
    beach when you put your photographs up on Flickr. You get 'em whether
    you want them or not.

    You can blame Miguel for picking the worst photo host venue around,
    but not for unsolicited "awards".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 25, 2011
  12. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:

    >You can blame Miguel for picking the worst photo host venue around,
    >but not for unsolicited "awards".

    Please explain what you mean by "unsolicited" in this context.

    Bruce, Aug 25, 2011
  13. mmyvusenet

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:10:55 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>
    >>You can blame Miguel for picking the worst photo host venue around,
    >>but not for unsolicited "awards".

    >Please explain what you mean by "unsolicited" in this context.

    Wha? "Unsolicited" means "not requested". If I choose to go on
    Flickr and post a comment and mark as a "favorite" some shot there, my
    action is unsolicited by the photographer.

    I know what you are driving at by asking, but simply using a host that
    encourages ratings does not, de facto, solicit ratings.

    I tried Flickr in 2008 and posted 8 photos. Only one received a
    comment, and that was by a person who follows my photos and comments
    on them wherever they are housed. I know him from another newsgroup.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony213/3517006499/in/photostream/

    My premise is that Miguel is not very knowledgeable about what is
    available in image hosts, and has used one that is easy for him to
    work with. I don't think he's in it for the "awards".

    My premise is also that Miguel is interested in improving his
    photography, but has little ability to put suggestion into use. This
    may be because of a language barrier, or may be that he simply doesn't
    care.

    He also multiple-posts instead of cross-posts despite being informed
    that cross-posts are better if you insist on your post being in more
    than one group.

    You have to admit that the guy has balls. He's been smacked down by
    so many people, but he keeps coming back. Most, like Sisker, would
    turn-tail and run if their efforts met so much criticism.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 25, 2011
  14. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:10:55 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>You can blame Miguel for picking the worst photo host venue around,
    >>>but not for unsolicited "awards".

    >>Please explain what you mean by "unsolicited" in this context.

    >Wha? "Unsolicited" means "not requested". If I choose to go on
    >Flickr and post a comment and mark as a "favorite" some shot there, my
    >action is unsolicited by the photographer.
    >
    >I know what you are driving at by asking, but simply using a host that
    >encourages ratings does not, de facto, solicit ratings.
    >
    >I tried Flickr in 2008 and posted 8 photos. Only one received a
    >comment, and that was by a person who follows my photos and comments
    >on them wherever they are housed. I know him from another newsgroup.

    One of my students did some research into how these "award systems"
    operate. It is all very entertaining.

    The way it works is that people give ratings to get ratings. They
    give spurious ratings of "excellent" to other people's images and get
    them back in return. Had you followed that procedure, you would have
    given many spurious ratings and got many back.

    The ratings are spurious because no-one pays any attention to the
    images, it's just a mutual award society, with awards given purely in
    exchange for getting them back.

    >You have to admit that the guy has balls. He's been smacked down by
    >so many people, but he keeps coming back. Most, like Sisker, would
    >turn-tail and run if their efforts met so much criticism.

    He doesn't care what people think.

    Contrary to his repeated statements to the contrary, he has no
    intention of improving. He persists in posting the dullest and most
    boring snapshots imaginable.

    Once, he posted a video taken from the same camera position as his
    terminally dull snapshot, and the video showed a wealth of fascinating
    subjects just outside the angle of view of the still picture. It
    appeared that he had deliberately chosen to avoid including anything
    interesting in the still shot.

    It would have been almost impossible to make a worse image from that
    camera position. So my conclusion is that he is taking the piss, and
    simply enjoys provoking negative responses to his many appalling
    snapshots.

    Still, we have seen worse in the SI on a great many occasions - that's
    somewhere else where people enjoy exchanging false praise. ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 25, 2011
  15. mmyvusenet

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:06:31 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:10:55 +0100, Bruce <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Please explain what you mean by "unsolicited" in this context.

    >>Wha? "Unsolicited" means "not requested". If I choose to go on
    >>Flickr and post a comment and mark as a "favorite" some shot there, my
    >>action is unsolicited by the photographer.
    >>
    >>I know what you are driving at by asking, but simply using a host that
    >>encourages ratings does not, de facto, solicit ratings.
    >>
    >>I tried Flickr in 2008 and posted 8 photos. Only one received a
    >>comment, and that was by a person who follows my photos and comments
    >>on them wherever they are housed. I know him from another newsgroup.

    >One of my students did some research into how these "award systems"
    >operate. It is all very entertaining.
    >
    >The way it works is that people give ratings to get ratings. They
    >give spurious ratings of "excellent" to other people's images and get
    >them back in return. Had you followed that procedure, you would have
    >given many spurious ratings and got many back.
    >
    >The ratings are spurious because no-one pays any attention to the
    >images, it's just a mutual award society, with awards given purely in
    >exchange for getting them back.

    If no one pays attention to them, then why are you paying attention to
    his?
    >>You have to admit that the guy has balls. He's been smacked down by
    >>so many people, but he keeps coming back. Most, like Sisker, would
    >>turn-tail and run if their efforts met so much criticism.

    >He doesn't care what people think.

    That's opinion.

    >Contrary to his repeated statements to the contrary, he has no
    >intention of improving. He persists in posting the dullest and most
    >boring snapshots imaginable.

    Ah, well, so what? It take an action on your part to open the links
    and look at the photo. If you choose to take that action, that's on
    you. I haven't followed a link to one of his photos for quite some
    time.

    >Still, we have seen worse in the SI on a great many occasions - that's
    >somewhere else where people enjoy exchanging false praise. ;-)

    Some are good, some aren't. That's about par for any group of
    amateurs.

    You'd have more credibility as a critic, though, if you had the balls
    to hold your own up for review.

    I critique other people's submissions, but I post my own submissions
    which other people can critique. They can look at my photos and
    decide if I'm in any position to critique theirs.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 25, 2011
  16. mmyvusenet

    otter Guest

    On Aug 25, 9:24 am, M-M <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  otter <> wrote:
    > >  I think I will take a no-negative post policy
    > > towards Miguel

    > Why?

    I don't like being negative. It's affects my attitude. And I've come
    to the conclusion that it is pointless with Miguel. Like Bruce said,
    I think he is taking the piss with posting these. The geranium butt
    was priceless.

    otter, Aug 26, 2011
  17. mmyvusenet

    Bruce Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:

    >You'd have more credibility as a critic, though, if you had the balls
    >to hold your own up for review.

    My balls are my own and I am not in the habit of holding them, or any
    other part of my anatomy, up for review by anyone - except my partner.
    Perhaps not even then. ;-)

    Bruce, Aug 26, 2011
  18. mmyvusenet

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/25/2011 1:06 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > tony cooper<> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:10:55 +0100, Bruce<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Please explain what you mean by "unsolicited" in this context.

    >> Wha? "Unsolicited" means "not requested". If I choose to go on
    >> Flickr and post a comment and mark as a "favorite" some shot there, my
    >> action is unsolicited by the photographer.
    >>
    >> I know what you are driving at by asking, but simply using a host that
    >> encourages ratings does not, de facto, solicit ratings.
    >>
    >> I tried Flickr in 2008 and posted 8 photos. Only one received a
    >> comment, and that was by a person who follows my photos and comments
    >> on them wherever they are housed. I know him from another newsgroup.

    > One of my students did some research into how these "award systems"
    > operate. It is all very entertaining.
    >
    > The way it works is that people give ratings to get ratings. They
    > give spurious ratings of "excellent" to other people's images and get
    > them back in return. Had you followed that procedure, you would have
    > given many spurious ratings and got many back.
    >
    > The ratings are spurious because no-one pays any attention to the
    > images, it's just a mutual award society, with awards given purely in
    > exchange for getting them back.
    >

    >> You have to admit that the guy has balls. He's been smacked down by
    >> so many people, but he keeps coming back. Most, like Sisker, would
    >> turn-tail and run if their efforts met so much criticism.

    > He doesn't care what people think.
    >
    > Contrary to his repeated statements to the contrary, he has no
    > intention of improving. He persists in posting the dullest and most
    > boring snapshots imaginable.
    >
    > Once, he posted a video taken from the same camera position as his
    > terminally dull snapshot, and the video showed a wealth of fascinating
    > subjects just outside the angle of view of the still picture. It
    > appeared that he had deliberately chosen to avoid including anything
    > interesting in the still shot.
    >
    > It would have been almost impossible to make a worse image from that
    > camera position. So my conclusion is that he is taking the piss, and
    > simply enjoys provoking negative responses to his many appalling
    > snapshots.
    >
    > Still, we have seen worse in the SI on a great many occasions - that's
    > somewhere else where people enjoy exchanging false praise. ;-)

    I was not going to say anything, but changed my mind.
    SI is a fun venue where honest critique is sometimes received.
    We realize that your images are above reproach. Goo Lord you have never
    published a link to the place where your images are posted.
    I suspect your cynical comments are nothing more than a cover for your
    own deficiencies.

    --
    Peter
    Still waiting for Nikon's big announcement.

    PeterN, Aug 26, 2011
  19. mmyvusenet

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/26/2011 6:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > tony cooper<> wrote:
    >>
    >> You'd have more credibility as a critic, though, if you had the balls
    >> to hold your own up for review.

    > My balls are my own and I am not in the habit of holding them, or any
    > other part of my anatomy, up for review by anyone - except my partner.
    > Perhaps not even then. ;-)

    IOW non-existent.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Aug 26, 2011
  20. mmyvusenet

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:06:49 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>
    >>You'd have more credibility as a critic, though, if you had the balls
    >>to hold your own up for review.

    >My balls are my own and I am not in the habit of holding them, or any
    >other part of my anatomy, up for review by anyone - except my partner.
    >Perhaps not even then. ;-)

    That's fine. It's up to you to decide if you want to put yourself out
    there or not. It doesn't seem right to me, though, for you to
    criticize the work of others when you are unwilling to submit your own
    work for comparison.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 26, 2011