    I m using a Olympus c4000 with internal flash, auto white balance and
    hue centered, but purples look blue. what's wrong??

    Donnie

    Donnie Stowe, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Donnie Stowe

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Donnie Stowe <> wrote:

    > I m using a Olympus c4000 with internal flash, auto white balance and
    > hue centered, but purples look blue. what's wrong??

    If you've got both flash and ambient incandescent light, auto white balance
    is probably "settling" for something in-between. In that case, the light
    from the flash will be bluer than white.

    Try setting the white balance to "flash".

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Donnie Stowe

    Skip M Guest

    Or setting custom white balance, if possible.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Donnie Stowe

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Skip M <> wrote:

    > Or setting custom white balance, if possible.

    Setting a custom white balance off the ambient light will make the flash
    even *more* blue, unless it's set by firing the flash, and I doubt his
    camera can do that.

    Setting it to "flash" will make the incandescent light more yellow, but
    we tend to find that less objectionable because we "expect" that light
    to be that color.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Donnie Stowe

    Skip M Guest

    Sorry, off on a tangent, thinking studio strobes, not on camera flashes...

    Skip M, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Jeremy Nixon <> writes:

    > Donnie Stowe <> wrote:
    >
    > > I m using a Olympus c4000 with internal flash, auto white balance and
    > > hue centered, but purples look blue. what's wrong??

    > If you've got both flash and ambient incandescent light, auto white balance
    > is probably "settling" for something in-between. In that case, the light
    > from the flash will be bluer than white.
    >
    > Try setting the white balance to "flash".

    You have a choice:

    1) Set the shutter speed as high as possible so that most of the light comes
    from the flash, but that will mean dark areas where the flash doesn't cover
    particularly if the background is far away from the people, and set the WB
    to flash, cloudy, or sunny. Unfortunately many DSLRs have fairly slow
    shutter speeds. Note a lot of cameras auto mode slows down the speed as
    slow as possible, so you probably have to use manual mode (or shutter
    priority mode).

    2) Set the shutter speed relatively slow so that more of the background light
    is used, and deal with the mixture of different temperture light sources in
    post processing.

    3) Use filters on your flash to change the light temperture to that of your
    ambenient light source so everything is the same temperture. Alternatively
    either filter the ambenient light source or use daylight bulbs.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Donnie Stowe

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > I m using a Olympus c4000 with internal flash, auto white balance and
    >hue centered, but purples look blue. what's wrong??
    >
    >Donnie

    Both pigment and dye will reflect and transmit UV light, that we do not see.
    Same for IR light. Both film and digital are sensitive to it to varying
    degrees. Depending on your purple subject matter, what you are probably
    getting is stronger UV reflectivity, that is overcoming the reds, that your
    eye picks up. This is why a "white" wedding dress often looks blue in a
    photograph.

    Better UV filtration might be the easiest correction, with either a filter on
    the lens, or taping a gel onto the flash lens. Many mfgrs offer UV filters in
    different sizes for different lenses, and Rosco (the cine products company)
    makes a series of UV absorbing gel-type media. You might just want to pick up
    one of their swatch books, as the sample size will probably be adequate to cut
    and tape to the flash.

    You will probably need to experiment with which UV filter to use, based on
    your camera's sensor, the white-balance settings, and the UV output from your
    strobe. Most studio strobes have a anti-UV coating on their tubes.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 10, 2004