Indiana Jones: DVD Bundle a Huge Success.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    If Paramount had released the Indiana Jones Trilogy as separate disks
    instead of as a box set, here is what I would have done:

    Purchase _Raiders of the Lost Ark_ for about $17.

    Put Temple of Doom, Last Crusade and Bonus Materials disks in my Netflix
    queue for an average cost of $1.50 each. (Actually, I had forgotten just
    how bad Temple of Doom is, so that disk would have been returned to
    Netflix half-watched.)

    Total cost: Less than $22. As it is, I paid a total of $47 for the box
    set in order to get the one disk that I really wanted.

    Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
    buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.

    Paramount's Temple of Zoom: Indiana on DVD
    More than a half-million sets sold on first day, sources say.
    By Jennifer Netherby 10/24/2003

    OCT. 24 | The Adventures of Indiana Jones Complete Movie DVD Collection
    whipped up an estimated $27 million in consumer sales during its first
    day in stores on Tuesday, according to industry sources.

    Paramount Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. are estimated to have
    sold more than 500,000 units at retail the first day. That doesn't
    include the number of copies shipped to rental stores. Paramount
    declined to comment on initial sales.

    One of the most eagerly awaited DVD releases in recent years, the title
    was outpacing sales of other catalog movie collections during its first
    few days on shelves.

    Retailers were selling the DVD set, which includes the three original
    Indiana Jones films and a bonus disc, for about $45. A Best Buy and
    Target location visited by VB in the Los Angeles area had sold out of
    the sets by nightfall on the first day, but the collection was available
    at those stores the next day.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=6413&catType=NEWS
    Scot Gardner, Oct 28, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Scot Gardner

    zoltan47 Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:45 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
    <> wrote:

    >Paramount's Temple of Zoom: Indiana on DVD
    >More than a half-million sets sold on first day, sources say.
    >By Jennifer Netherby 10/24/2003
    >
    >OCT. 24 | The Adventures of Indiana Jones Complete Movie DVD Collection
    >whipped up an estimated $27 million in consumer sales during its first
    >day in stores on Tuesday, according to industry sources.
    >
    >Paramount Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. are estimated to have
    >sold more than 500,000 units at retail the first day. That doesn't
    >include the number of copies shipped to rental stores. Paramount
    >declined to comment on initial sales.
    >
    >One of the most eagerly awaited DVD releases in recent years, the title
    >was outpacing sales of other catalog movie collections during its first
    >few days on shelves.
    >
    >Retailers were selling the DVD set, which includes the three original
    >Indiana Jones films and a bonus disc, for about $45. A Best Buy and
    >Target location visited by VB in the Los Angeles area had sold out of
    >the sets by nightfall on the first day, but the collection was available
    >at those stores the next day.


    I just returned from the East Brunswick, NJ Best Buy, and they had a
    lot of the Fullscreen versions left, but only a few widescreen
    versions. I asked the person working the DVD section, and she said the
    FS versions weren't selling, and the had a lot more in back.
    zoltan47, Oct 28, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. James Anatidae, Oct 28, 2003
    #3
  4. Scot Gardner

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:20031028005213.675$...


    > Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
    > buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.


    All three Indiana Jones movies are worthy of a purchase. Temple of Doom is
    a bit weak but it is still very entertaining. I would have purchased all
    three together or seperate. Most people pay less than $40 for the set so it
    comes up to only $13.33 a movie which is a steal.

    The biggest rip off box set is Back to the Future because it's one good
    movie out of three.
    Goldfinger, Oct 28, 2003
    #4
  5. Scot Gardner

    Paul C. Guest

    "James Anatidae" <> wrote in news:bnmedh
    $b9lh$:

    > The public is finally learning!


    I wonder sometimes. As I was leaving a local record/video store I
    heard the guy asking at the register if there was any way to make
    the disc he was buying "fullscreen" as he wasn't a big fan of the
    widescreen with the bars & all. I walked away feeling bit
    unsettled.... :)
    Paul C., Oct 28, 2003
    #5
  6. Scot Gardner

    eNo Guest

    "zoltan47" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just returned from the East Brunswick, NJ Best Buy, and they had a
    > lot of the Fullscreen versions left, but only a few widescreen
    > versions. I asked the person working the DVD section, and she said the
    > FS versions weren't selling, and the had a lot more in back.


    Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
    The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.

    --
    eNo
    "Why am I here?"
    eNo, Oct 28, 2003
    #6
  7. Scot Gardner

    Richard C. Guest

    "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9422A98E99286abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20...
    : "James Anatidae" <> wrote in news:bnmedh
    : $b9lh$:
    :
    : > The public is finally learning!
    :
    : I wonder sometimes. As I was leaving a local record/video store I
    : heard the guy asking at the register if there was any way to make
    : the disc he was buying "fullscreen" as he wasn't a big fan of the
    : widescreen with the bars & all. I walked away feeling bit
    : unsettled.... :)
    :
    ====================
    Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions and zoom away?
    Richard C., Oct 28, 2003
    #7
  8. Scot Gardner

    Paul C. Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in
    news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$:

    > Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions

    and
    > zoom away?


    Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
    "Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen
    at the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to
    your friends!!!" :)
    Paul C., Oct 29, 2003
    #8
  9. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    news:Ziznb.6969887$...

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:20031028005213.675$...


    > Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
    > buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.


    <<All three Indiana Jones movies are worthy of a purchase. Temple of
    Doom is a bit weak but it is still very entertaining. I would have
    purchased all three together or separate. Most people pay less than $40
    for the set so it comes up to only $13.33 a movie which is a steal.>>

    <<The biggest rip off box set is Back to the Future because it's one
    good movie out of three.>>


    Well, sets are expensive and we are going to have more of them in the
    future. All I want is the first Star Wars movie (Episode IV) but it
    looks like it will be cartooned-up and offered as part of yet another
    4-disk box set.

    You're right about Universal's _Back to the Future_ set. I had so little
    interest in this trilogy that I passed on buying the collection.

    You need to be a big fan to appreciate ALL of the Indiana Jones movies
    the way that you do. In my opinion, the first one is a four-star
    classic, the second one is total crap and the third one is sort of OK.
    The extras disk was only worth watching once.

    On the other hand, another Paramount 4-disc, 3-movie trilogy has proven
    to be one of the best DVD investments that I ever made. _The Godfather_
    DVD set is an outstanding value, even though it contains the God-awful
    _Godfather III_. How else could Paramount have moved this turkey if they
    hadn't bundled it with the other two movies? Even as a rental,
    _Godfather III_ was bundled with the Godfather extras disk.

    If Coppola's casting of his daughter in the part of Mary isn't nepotism,
    I don't know what it is. Sophia is simply awful in every scene as she
    mutters her lines. _Godfather III_ would have been dramatically improved
    if Sophia Coppola's swan song in the final climatic Opera House scene
    had occurred at the beginning of the movie. The rest of movie could have
    been told in flashbacks and cast members could have just talked about
    her and shown family pictures of her. "Remember when Mary said this and
    when Mary did that?"

    It's difficult to suffer through Miss Coppola's pathetic performance
    without laughing. In _Godfather III_, this wannabe starlet is surrounded
    by talented actors. It's embarrassing to watch some of Hollywood's most
    talented performers attempt to help her as she stumbles through the
    awkward recital of each of her lines. On the other hand, she does liven
    up an otherwise dull movie with an element of comic relief.

    I think FF Coppola wanted Winona Ryder for the part and tried to catch
    her between nervous breakdowns. But things didn't work out. Miss Ryder
    would have made the perfect Mary. She would have stolen the show -- and
    some of the props as well.

    Actually, I think that Woody Allen was really talking about Sophia
    Coppola's performance in _Godfather III_ when he wrote Cheech's
    commentary on Olive Neal's performance in_Bullets Over Broadway_:

    "She throws the whole thing out of whack. Can't you see it? Every time I
    hear that voice, it's like a knife in my fuckin' heart. She can't act!
    You listening to me? She makes stuff not work. Stuff she ain't even in,
    it comes out twisted. Leave me alone. I got a fuckin' headache."
    Scot Gardner, Oct 29, 2003
    #9
  10. Scot Gardner

    John Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:45 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
    <> wrote:

    >If Paramount had released the Indiana Jones Trilogy as separate disks
    >instead of as a box set, here is what I would have done:
    >
    >Purchase _Raiders of the Lost Ark_ for about $17.
    >
    >Put Temple of Doom, Last Crusade and Bonus Materials disks in my Netflix
    >queue for an average cost of $1.50 each. (Actually, I had forgotten just
    >how bad Temple of Doom is, so that disk would have been returned to
    >Netflix half-watched.)
    >
    >Total cost: Less than $22. As it is, I paid a total of $47 for the box
    >set in order to get the one disk that I really wanted.
    >
    >Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
    >buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.
    >
    >Paramount's Temple of Zoom: Indiana on DVD
    >More than a half-million sets sold on first day, sources say.
    >By Jennifer Netherby 10/24/2003
    >
    >OCT. 24 | The Adventures of Indiana Jones Complete Movie DVD Collection
    >whipped up an estimated $27 million in consumer sales during its first
    >day in stores on Tuesday, according to industry sources.
    >
    >Paramount Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. are estimated to have
    >sold more than 500,000 units at retail the first day. That doesn't
    >include the number of copies shipped to rental stores. Paramount
    >declined to comment on initial sales.
    >
    >One of the most eagerly awaited DVD releases in recent years, the title
    >was outpacing sales of other catalog movie collections during its first
    >few days on shelves.
    >
    >Retailers were selling the DVD set, which includes the three original
    >Indiana Jones films and a bonus disc, for about $45. A Best Buy and
    >Target location visited by VB in the Los Angeles area had sold out of
    >the sets by nightfall on the first day, but the collection was available
    >at those stores the next day.
    >
    >http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=6413&catType=NEWS
    >


    Huh... I guess people are still buying DVD's. Oh well... Yeah, they
    are good movies.

    John
    John, Oct 29, 2003
    #10
  11. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Paul C." <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9422EC03AEF51abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20...
    > "Richard C." <> wrote in
    > news:3f9eec7d$0$48412$:


    > Why don't these people just buy DVD players with "zoom" functions
    > and zoom away?


    <<Perhaps if they phrased it differently they would. For example:
    "Instant fullscreen mode, converts widescreen movies into fullscreen at
    the touch of the button! No more nasty black bars to explain to your
    friends!!!" :)>>


    Well, yeah, the zoom feature can eliminate those annoying black bars
    from most widescreen movies. The problem is that the zoom feature only
    blows up the picture to fill the screen vertically and while doing this,
    it pushes the sides of the picture out of a 4:3 TV's viewing area.

    Another problem is that, unlike a true pan & scan DVD, there is no
    panning and scanning in the zoomed picture. Panning and scanning at
    least tries to capture some of the action from the sides of the chopped
    up movie and transfer it to the center. With zooming, there is only a
    straight shot down the middle of the movie.

    Oh well, at least the black bars are gone. That's what is most
    important.
    Scot Gardner, Oct 29, 2003
    #11
  12. Scot Gardner

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:45 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
    <> wrote:


    >OCT. 24 | The Adventures of Indiana Jones Complete Movie DVD Collection
    >whipped up an estimated $27 million in consumer sales during its first
    >day in stores on Tuesday, according to industry sources.



    I assume this just refers to US sales.

    Any idea what International sales were? e.g. UK sales?
    ZC TGS, Oct 29, 2003
    #12
  13. Scot Gardner

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:20031028223858.072$...

    > On the other hand, another Paramount 4-disc, 3-movie trilogy has proven
    > to be one of the best DVD investments that I ever made. _The Godfather_
    > DVD set is an outstanding value, even though it contains the God-awful
    > _Godfather III_. How else could Paramount have moved this turkey if they
    > hadn't bundled it with the other two movies? Even as a rental,
    > _Godfather III_ was bundled with the Godfather extras disk.


    The Godfather set is awesome except it's a bit pricey.

    > If Coppola's casting of his daughter in the part of Mary isn't nepotism,
    > I don't know what it is. Sophia is simply awful in every scene as she
    > mutters her lines. _Godfather III_ would have been dramatically improved
    > if Sophia Coppola's swan song in the final climatic Opera House scene
    > had occurred at the beginning of the movie. The rest of movie could have
    > been told in flashbacks and cast members could have just talked about
    > her and shown family pictures of her. "Remember when Mary said this and
    > when Mary did that?"


    Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
    cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too much
    "walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval because of
    his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part III
    will be a disaster from the get go.
    Goldfinger, Oct 29, 2003
    #13
  14. Scot Gardner

    Mark Spatny Guest

    eNo, says...
    > Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
    > The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.


    I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
    seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
    the policy in my neck of the woods.
    Mark Spatny, Oct 29, 2003
    #14
  15. In article <>,
    Mark Spatny <> wrote:
    >eNo, says...
    >> Ditto at Costco, where I bought mine. I had to *look* for the Widescreen.
    >> The Fullscreen pile was barely touched.

    >
    >I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
    >seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
    >the policy in my neck of the woods.


    Must be local. I've never run across a title which Costco did not carry in
    widescreen, even if there were two separate versions available.


    --
    Aaron Brezenski
    Not speaking for my employer in any way.
    Aaron Brezenski, Oct 29, 2003
    #15
  16. Scot Gardner

    WJM Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    news:20031028223858.072$...
    > "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    > news:Ziznb.6969887$...
    >
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > news:20031028005213.675$...
    >
    >
    > > Paramount is aware that there are a lot of other people who would only
    > > buy Raiders and maybe rent the other disks, thus, the box set.

    >
    > <<All three Indiana Jones movies are worthy of a purchase. Temple of
    > Doom is a bit weak but it is still very entertaining. I would have
    > purchased all three together or separate. Most people pay less than $40
    > for the set so it comes up to only $13.33 a movie which is a steal.>>
    >
    > <<The biggest rip off box set is Back to the Future because it's one
    > good movie out of three.>>
    >
    >
    > Well, sets are expensive and we are going to have more of them in the
    > future. All I want is the first Star Wars movie (Episode IV) but it
    > looks like it will be cartooned-up and offered as part of yet another
    > 4-disk box set.
    >
    > You're right about Universal's _Back to the Future_ set. I had so little
    > interest in this trilogy that I passed on buying the collection.
    >
    > You need to be a big fan to appreciate ALL of the Indiana Jones movies
    > the way that you do. In my opinion, the first one is a four-star
    > classic, the second one is total crap and the third one is sort of OK.
    > The extras disk was only worth watching once.
    >


    I don't agree with your assessment of the 2nd and 3rd Indiana Jones movies.
    Although the 2nd two were inferior to the first, both of them had enough
    positives to make them decent movies - worth a purchase in my estimation.
    WJM, Oct 30, 2003
    #16
  17. Scot Gardner

    Doonie Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:52:34 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Brezenski wrote:

    >Mark Spatny wrote:
    >
    >>I thought that when widescreen and fullscreen versions were released
    >>seperately, Costco only carries the fullscreen version. That seems to be
    >>the policy in my neck of the woods.

    >
    >Must be local. I've never run across a title which Costco did not carry in
    >widescreen, even if there were two separate versions available.


    Yag! That would suck - Pan & Scan only at Costco. =( That's where
    I bought my Widescreen set and I got a really good price (with
    coupon).

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca
    Doonie, Oct 30, 2003
    #17
  18. In article <VwSnb.781262$>,
    says...
    >
    > Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
    > cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too much
    > "walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval because of
    > his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part III
    > will be a disaster from the get go.
    >
    >


    Wow, I didn't even realize Diane Lane was in the Godfather, p. III.
    =) Rest of it I agree with.

    --
    -Jan G.
    Jan Gustafsson, Oct 30, 2003
    #18
  19. Scot Gardner

    Richard C. Guest

    "Goldfinger" <> wrote in message
    news:VwSnb.781262$...
    :
    : The Godfather set is awesome except it's a bit pricey.
    :
    ================
    Not when you consider that my LD set listed at $200.00
    Richard C., Oct 30, 2003
    #19
  20. Scot Gardner

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Jan Gustafsson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <VwSnb.781262$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Sophia stinks even if she's not in the scene. But she's hardly the only
    > > cancer and getting rid of her wouldn't save Part III. Part III is too

    much
    > > "walking down the memory lane". And they get rid of Robert Duval

    because of
    > > his price tag but keep Diane Lane, what the....? That proves that Part

    III
    > > will be a disaster from the get go.
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Wow, I didn't even realize Diane Lane was in the Godfather, p. III.
    > =) Rest of it I agree with.


    Oh, it's Keaton not Lane.
    Goldfinger, Oct 30, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mike McGee
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    612
    Mike McGee
    Sep 17, 2003
  2. DVD Guy

    Indiana Jones on DVD FREE

    DVD Guy, Oct 14, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    419
    J Smith
    Oct 16, 2003
  3. Bill C
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    399
    Bill C
    Oct 21, 2003
  4. Bill C
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    427
    Bill C
    Oct 21, 2003
  5. Nullo
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    2,411
    Shinner
    Oct 23, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page