    excerpt
    By Anand Parthasarathy
    The Hindu
    Sunday, May 29, 2005

    A new contender raises the storage stakes -- a hundred
    fold

    DVDs being packed in the Greater Noida plant of Moser
    Baer. The company is geared to turn out either Blu Ray or
    HD-DVD disks in the future.

    BANGALORE: `Size Does Matter' -- if you want to be pack
    leader in the optical storage business. And the latest
    contender for the title of `Digital Godzilla' has just
    stomped into the arena, promising a jumbo-sized offering
    that dwarfs all rivals in the field. United States-based
    storage player Iomega, has announced, it has been granted
    two optical storage patents, that if converted into a
    production process, can turn out Digital Versatile Disks
    (DVDs) with a mind-boggling 850 giga bytes (GB)capacity --
    that is 850 billion bits of information. This will make
    the devices about 100 times bigger than the biggest DVDs
    available today -- and with at least 20 times more
    capacity than the next-generation high-density formats
    being readied for year-end availability.

    Ironically, to achieve these huge storage capacities,
    Iomega engineers have exploited nano technology -- the
    science of very small particles, touching atom sizes. In
    its patent document, released by the U.S. Patent Office,
    Iomega calls its technology ``Nano-Grating'' -- encoding
    data on the surface of the DVD, using nano-sized
    particles.

    Experts believe the transition from patent to product
    could take anything from two to five years. Today's 4.5
    GB DVDs (9 GB, double sided) are set to be replaced by
    the high-density formats expected by end 2005.
    Unfortunately the old VHS-versus-Beta videocassette
    format wars of the 1980s seem to be replaying: Two rival
    camps have emerged in the high-density DVD business. One
    -- Blu-Ray -- is backed by Sony, Hitachi, TDK, Panasonic
    and others. The other -- HD-DVD (for High Density DVD) --
    is supported by Toshiba, Sanyo and NEC. The formats which
    will increase today's storage capacity at least ten-fold,
    are incompatible and will force customers to make a
    choice between two types of disks and players.
    excerpt observer.co.uk
    Studies show that skipping this meal reduces performance at school and
    work - though not any breakfast will do. Sugar snacks are unadvisable,
    for example. Kids who start the day on these have the attention spans
    of a 70-year-old.

    Instead, you should plump for beans on toast. Toast on its own boosts
    cognition, says New Scientist, but beans are even better. They are
    rich in fibre and high-fibre diets are linked to improved cognition.
    And if you can't face beans in the morning, or if fellow commuters
    object, spread Marmite on your toast.

    Then there is the simple issue of 'using it or losing it'. Failure to
    keep your brain stimulated will cause cognitive decay. As the US
    writer Erma Bombeck once claimed: 'Anybody who watches three games of
    football in a row should be declared brain dead.'

    Try learning a musical instrument, which could have a major impact on
    your thinking. 'Six-year-old children who were given music lessons, as
    opposed to drama lessons or no extra instruction, got a 2-to-3 point
    boost in IQ scores compared with the others,' says the magazine.
    Simply listening to stories, such as radio's A Book at Bedtime, also
    provides a boost to performance, as do puzzles, such as crosswords.

    At the same time, you also need to know when to turn off and relax.
    Lack of sleep is a key factor in poor intellectual performance.
    According to Sean Drummond, of the University of California, San
    Diego, anyone who has been awake for 21 hours has the abilities
    equivalent 'to someone who is legally drunk'. Sleep not only refreshes
    the brain, it processes new memories and hones new skills. Just taking
    a nap after lunch can have a real effect.

    At the same time, such sedentary habits should be balanced with proper
    exercise. Walking for half an hour three times a week can improve
    learning, concentration, and abstract reasoning - particularly among
    the elderly and schoolchildren. Among the latter, those who exercise
    several times a week gain higher than average grades at age 10,
    particularly boys. The reason, suggests Angela Balding of Exeter
    University, may be that aerobic exercise boosts mental powers by
    sending extra oxygen to the brain.

    Not all the advice is straightforward, however. Learning a violin or
    piano, and driving one's musical ability may boost IQ, but listening
    to unfamiliar music while working interferes with concentration. You
    should only have familiar background music while working.
    habshi, May 29, 2005

  2. habshi wrote:
    > This is truly amazing. One dvd to store 300 Bollywood or 600
    > Hollywood movies , which are only half the length of Bollywood but
    > cant compare in entertainment value with their songs and dances ,
    > great costumes and sets and superb heart touching dialog . On sale at
    > amazon.com and others . 'Border', 'Khalanyak' and others with
    > subtitles are a good start .

    I don't see anything amazing there. Technology evolves and hey,
    640 KB ought to be enough for everybody.

    P.Krumins
    Peteris Krumins, May 29, 2005

  3. habshi

    Nonymous Guest

    Whatever you do, don't scratch it.
    Nonymous, May 29, 2005
  4. habshi

    John Sefton Guest

    Nonymous wrote:
    > Whatever you do, don't scratch it.

    In the original ads for cd
    it showed a dog with one in its
    mouth and emphasized how
    indestructible they are compared to
    records!?
    John Sefton, May 29, 2005
  5. habshi

    lemonus Guest

    640KB? you can't even store a 1/10 of an mp3 file!!!!
    lemonus, May 29, 2005
  6. habshi

    T Wake Guest

    "lemonus" <> wrote in message
    > 640KB? you can't even store a 1/10 of an mp3 file!!!!

    Its a quote about the time when 640Kb was considered the "most" RAM anyone
    would ever need and explains why DOS has a 640Kb limit to the amount of RAM
    it could address without virtual drivers. I suspect it wasn't an attempt to
    imply 640 was enough today.
    T Wake, May 29, 2005
  7. habshi

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    T Wake wrote:
    > "lemonus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>640KB? you can't even store a 1/10 of an mp3 file!!!!
    >>

    > Its a quote about the time when 640Kb was considered the "most" RAM anyone
    > would ever need and explains why DOS has a 640Kb limit to the amount of RAM
    > it could address without virtual drivers. I suspect it wasn't an attempt to
    > imply 640 was enough today.

    Quite close, but in the interests of accuracy the 640k limit was
    actually imposed by the 8086 CPU, which could address 1 Meg. DOS used
    640k, with the balance used by peripheral cards like video cards,
    network cards, the ROM BIOS program and the XT hard disk controller.

    When the 286 was introduced, the CPU could address 16 MB, and the
    386/486 4 GB, but to maintain computability, the DOS limit was retained.
    The newer chips had a *real mode* which behaved and looked like
    the 8086, and a *protected mode* to take advantage of the features of
    the new CPUs.

    IBM/MS intended OS/2 to take over from DOS, and this would have freed
    the users from the DOS limits quite early in the piece, but as history
    shows, the falling out between the then partners, meant we were saddled
    with the DOS limits for many more years than we should have been.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 29, 2005
  8. habshi

    Alpha Guest

    "John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    > Nonymous wrote:
    >> Whatever you do, don't scratch it.

    > In the original ads for cd
    > it showed a dog with one in its
    > mouth and emphasized how
    > indestructible they are compared to
    > records!?

    This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for DVD,
    since they approach failure margins so closely.
    Alpha, May 29, 2005
  9. habshi

    Uncle Al Guest

    habshi wrote:

    > This is truly amazing.

    A wog with a clean ass crack?

    > One dvd to store 300 Bollywood or 600
    > Hollywood movies

    Uncle Al's CD rack has more platters than that - and it revolves.

    Idiot wog.

    [snip idiot wog crap]

    The ugliest women on the planet, and worse with their clothes off.
    Goes to show that a horny man will mount anything if stock animals are
    not available.

    --
    Uncle Al
    http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
    Uncle Al, May 30, 2005
  10. habshi

    No One Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > T Wake wrote:
    >
    >> "lemonus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> 640KB? you can't even store a 1/10 of an mp3 file!!!!
    >>>

    >> Its a quote about the time when 640Kb was considered the "most" RAM
    >> anyone would ever need and explains why DOS has a 640Kb limit to the
    >> amount of RAM it could address without virtual drivers. I suspect it
    >> wasn't an attempt to imply 640 was enough today.
    >>

    > Quite close, but in the interests of accuracy the 640k limit was
    > actually imposed by the 8086 CPU, which could address 1 Meg. DOS used
    > 640k, with the balance used by peripheral cards like video cards,
    > network cards, the ROM BIOS program and the XT hard disk controller.
    >
    > When the 286 was introduced, the CPU could address 16 MB, and the
    > 386/486 4 GB, but to maintain computability, the DOS limit was retained.
    > The newer chips had a *real mode* which behaved and looked like the
    > 8086, and a *protected mode* to take advantage of the features of the
    > new CPUs.
    >
    > IBM/MS intended OS/2 to take over from DOS, and this would have freed
    > the users from the DOS limits quite early in the piece, but as history
    > shows, the falling out between the then partners, meant we were saddled
    > with the DOS limits for many more years than we should have been.

    OS/2 was a good OS, but a bitch to install. There is still DOS and Win
    3.1 crap still under the sheets in XP.
    No One, May 30, 2005
  11. habshi

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    No One wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    >> T Wake wrote:
    >>
    >>> "lemonus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Its a quote about the time when 640Kb was considered the "most" RAM
    >>> anyone would ever need and explains why DOS has a 640Kb limit to the
    >>> amount of RAM it could address without virtual drivers. I suspect it
    >>> wasn't an attempt to imply 640 was enough today.
    >>>

    >> Quite close, but in the interests of accuracy the 640k limit was
    >> actually imposed by the 8086 CPU, which could address 1 Meg. DOS
    >> used 640k, with the balance used by peripheral cards like video cards,
    >> network cards, the ROM BIOS program and the XT hard disk controller.
    >>
    >> When the 286 was introduced, the CPU could address 16 MB, and the
    >> 386/486 4 GB, but to maintain computability, the DOS limit was
    >> retained. The newer chips had a *real mode* which behaved and
    >> looked like the 8086, and a *protected mode* to take advantage of the
    >> features of the new CPUs.
    >>
    >> IBM/MS intended OS/2 to take over from DOS, and this would have freed
    >> the users from the DOS limits quite early in the piece, but as history
    >> shows, the falling out between the then partners, meant we were
    >> saddled with the DOS limits for many more years than we should have been.
    >>

    > OS/2 was a good OS, but a bitch to install. There is still DOS and Win
    > 3.1 crap still under the sheets in XP.

    Not really DOS as we would think of it. DOS is emulated when running
    COMMAND or one can have a CLI by running CMD. They are quite different
    if you explore them.

    Win 3.1 code in XP? I don't believe so, as XP is *supposedly*
    completely 32 bit (in common with the other NT OSes. Quite happy to be
    proved wrong there though.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 30, 2005
  12. habshi

    lemonus Guest

    by records do you mean those mainframe magnetic tapes or vynals(excuse
    my spell). Firstly vynals are also damaged my scrates even the
    slightest.on the other hand magnetic mainframe tapes can be damaged by
    any magnetic field near it! so what ever you mean they are not robust
    lemonus, May 30, 2005
  13. On a sunny day (Sun, 29 May 2005 15:38:03 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >"John Sefton" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Nonymous wrote:
    >>> Whatever you do, don't scratch it.

    >> In the original ads for cd
    >> it showed a dog with one in its
    >> mouth and emphasized how
    >> indestructible they are compared to
    >> records!?
    >>

    >This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    >far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for DVD,
    >since they approach failure margins so closely.

    Does not sound like a sentence that makes sense to me.
    Digital has error correction.
    DVD is currently no where near the limit.

    Expect blue light 4 layer 200 GB on the market in a few years.
    Imagine storing a computer program on in an ANALOG recording scheme.
    Back to the old cassette tape recorders Commodore and Sinclair.

    There are also prototypes of holographic disks, in a way this is analog,
    probably why you cannot buy these :)
    Jan Panteltje, May 30, 2005
  14. On a sunny day (Sun, 29 May 2005 17:24:57 -0700) it happened Uncle Al
    <> wrote in <>:

    >habshi wrote:
    >>
    >> This is truly amazing.

    >A wog with a clean ass crack?
    >
    >> One dvd to store 300 Bollywood or 600
    >> Hollywood movies

    >Uncle Al's CD rack has more platters than that - and it revolves.
    >
    >Idiot wog.
    >
    >[snip idiot wog crap]

    WTF do you always have to insult people, and pretent knowledge you
    do not have?
    You have no clue about DVD (and optical media for that matter), what the
    state of the art is, the problems involved, the authoring, the recording
    systems, the electronics etc etc.
    At least Habsi's posts was interesting.
    WTF do I care how many CD you have, this was about DVD, and future.
    In general Habsi quotes press reports, so maybe these are biased towards
    some region, well good to hear that, US is way behind anyways.
    And California will sink in the sea.
    Jan Panteltje, May 30, 2005
  15. habshi

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Oldus Fartus () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Win 3.1 code in XP?

    Yes and no. There is new code that does some of the same virtualization
    of hardware (mostly for games), and Win 3.1 emulation modes, but it's all
    new code.

    > I don't believe so, as XP is *supposedly*
    > completely 32 bit (in common with the other NT OSes.

    There is support for 16-bit tasks (just open Task Manager and choose the
    "Performance" tab then the "Options" menu to see this is true), but they
    are wrapped with entirely new, fully 32-bit virtualization code.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, May 30, 2005
  16. habshi

    Alpha Guest

    "Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    > On a sunny day (Sun, 29 May 2005 15:38:03 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    > <> wrote in <>:
    >

    >>"John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    >>> In the original ads for cd
    >>> it showed a dog with one in its
    >>> mouth and emphasized how
    >>> indestructible they are compared to
    >>> records!?
    >>>

    >>This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    >>far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for
    >>DVD,
    >>since they approach failure margins so closely.

    > Does not sound like a sentence that makes sense to me.
    > Digital has error correction.
    > DVD is currently no where near the limit.
    >
    > Expect blue light 4 layer 200 GB on the market in a few years.
    > Imagine storing a computer program on in an ANALOG recording scheme.
    > Back to the old cassette tape recorders Commodore and Sinclair.
    >
    > There are also prototypes of holographic disks, in a way this is analog,
    > probably why you cannot buy these :)

    I will clarify: The Library of Congress did an extensive study of archival
    storage. They determined that no digital media satisfied the requirements
    for storage of audio or video. The reasoning basically revolves around the
    fact that when something happens to a DVD or digital tape, it is nearly
    unrecoverable...a fatal error. Print-through and drop outs on analog tape
    are not fatal.
    Alpha, May 30, 2005
  17. On a sunny day (Mon, 30 May 2005 13:38:07 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >"Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    >> On a sunny day (Sun, 29 May 2005 15:38:03 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    >> <> wrote in <>:
    >>

    >>>"John Sefton" <> wrote in message

    >>>This is one of the biggest fictions of optical media. Analog records are
    >>>far more robust than optical digital at failure rate. Particularly for
    >>>DVD,
    >>>since they approach failure margins so closely.

    >> Does not sound like a sentence that makes sense to me.
    >> Digital has error correction.
    >> DVD is currently no where near the limit.
    >>
    >> Expect blue light 4 layer 200 GB on the market in a few years.
    >> Imagine storing a computer program on in an ANALOG recording scheme.
    >> Back to the old cassette tape recorders Commodore and Sinclair.
    >>
    >> There are also prototypes of holographic disks, in a way this is analog,
    >> probably why you cannot buy these :)
    >>

    >I will clarify: The Library of Congress did an extensive study of archival
    >storage. They determined that no digital media satisfied the requirements
    >for storage of audio or video. The reasoning basically revolves around the
    >fact that when something happens to a DVD or digital tape, it is nearly
    >unrecoverable...a fatal error. Print-through and drop outs on analog tape
    >are not fatal.

    I think you are confused, but OK please provide a reference.
    The library of Congress DID investigate into several DVD layer types,
    I posted the link to that paper in alt.video.dvd last year it was I think, and
    they concluded that not all layer materials were good.
    Still some materials were > 10 years
    www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/StabilityStudy.pdf

    I am pretty sure no analog system is in the market for storing that data.
    Error correction is essential.
    In fact I find a whole lot of links in google relating to this issue.
    (library congress DVD)
    Or do you want to go back to those horrible big analog Philips optical video
    disks?
    I think not (nothing but dropouts).
    Jan Panteltje, May 31, 2005
  18. habshi

    > On a sunny day (Mon, 30 May 2005 13:38:07 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    > <> wrote in <>:
    >

    >>"Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message

    >>> Does not sound like a sentence that makes sense to me.
    >>> Digital has error correction.
    >>> DVD is currently no where near the limit.
    >>>
    >>> Expect blue light 4 layer 200 GB on the market in a few years.
    >>> Imagine storing a computer program on in an ANALOG recording scheme.
    >>> Back to the old cassette tape recorders Commodore and Sinclair.
    >>>
    >>> There are also prototypes of holographic disks, in a way this is analog,
    >>> probably why you cannot buy these :)
    >>>

    >>I will clarify: The Library of Congress did an extensive study of
    >>archival
    >>storage. They determined that no digital media satisfied the requirements
    >>for storage of audio or video. The reasoning basically revolves around
    >>the
    >>fact that when something happens to a DVD or digital tape, it is nearly
    >>unrecoverable...a fatal error. Print-through and drop outs on analog tape
    >>are not fatal.

    > I think you are confused, but OK please provide a reference.
    > The library of Congress DID investigate into several DVD layer types,
    > I posted the link to that paper in alt.video.dvd last year it was I think,
    > and
    > they concluded that not all layer materials were good.
    > Still some materials were > 10 years
    > www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwog/StabilityStudy.pdf
    >
    > I am pretty sure no analog system is in the market for storing that data.
    > Error correction is essential.
    > In fact I find a whole lot of links in google relating to this issue.
    > (library congress DVD)
    > Or do you want to go back to those horrible big analog Philips optical
    > video
    > disks?
    > I think not (nothing but dropouts).

    Not correct....the Ampex machines are being provided support.
    Alpha, May 31, 2005
  19. On a sunny day (Tue, 31 May 2005 15:35:36 -0700) it happened "Alpha"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >> I am pretty sure no analog system is in the market for storing that data.
    >> Error correction is essential.
    >> In fact I find a whole lot of links in google relating to this issue.
    >> (library congress DVD)
    >> Or do you want to go back to those horrible big analog Philips optical
    >> video
    >> disks?
    >> I think not (nothing but dropouts).

    >Not correct....the Ampex machines are being provided support.

    Funny you mention Ampex, I am certified engineer for Ampex VR??00, AVR1.
    These were professional 2 inch video tape recorders.
    If I ever came across an old quadruplex I am sure I could get it working
    (if you could get the parts at all).
    Those were 2 inch tape machines... you REALLY do not want to record DATA
    on that :) banding scalloping skewing noise what not.
    And, although there was dropout correction, and time base correction, that
    does not help you a lot with data.
    So you would then take a camera, make pictures of the papers (of Congress),
    and edit these (on the old Ampex you could insert too), in say 1 second long
    shots for each paper?
    Not to mention the 2 inch tapes were big and heavy, needed a climate controlled
    storage room, some just fell apart all by themselves (memorex, white powder),
    and WHERE do you find a quadruplex machine to play these back in 50 years?
    Or was it some other Ampex product you were referring to?
    And of cause no random access...
    Jan Panteltje, Jun 1, 2005
  20. habshi

    Alpha Guest

    > Not to mention the 2 inch tapes were big and heavy, needed a climate
    > controlled
    > storage room, some just fell apart all by themselves (memorex, white
    > powder),
    > and WHERE do you find a quadruplex machine to play these back in 50 years?
    > Or was it some other Ampex product you were referring to?
    > And of cause no random access...

    I was referring to audio actually...videoarchival is still in various
    tape/celluloid formats as I understand it.
    Alpha, Jun 7, 2005