Indexing Options, multiple problems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by chunnel, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. chunnel

    chunnel Guest

    I have multiple problems with Indexing Options and it seems that everything I
    do to try to fix it makes it worse. Here are my issues;
    1. I just reinstalled Vista 64 Ult. and while the index would see my
    contacts in Outlook before, now the best I've been able to do it get it to
    see my email, but now that's gone. And yes, I have deleted the address book,
    created a new one and made sure that all the Contacts folders are visible in
    the Address book.
    2. The email is no longer visible because Outlook no longer shows up as an
    option. I haven't turned over UAC yet and when I click modify, where I used
    to be able to see Outlook, now I don't. When I go to advanced and try to use
    the Outlook folder in my App Data, it tells me that it is a read only file,
    and even if I try to unclick that, I still can't get to my Outlook file.
    3. I tried to reset my Index location to a folder called Index in my
    Documents. I have started and stopped the service and rebooted and yet it
    still tells me that my current location is in Program data. So I've selected
    that old folder in Program Data as the new and started and stopped the
    service but it doesn't appear to have changed anything, C:\Program
    Data\Microsoft still shows as the new location after the service is started
    and I have done that and rebooted. (By the way, it was ok to make the index
    in my documents because I wasn't indexing the entirety of my Documents just
    three folders.)

    I have tried to Restore Defaults but that has not brought back my Outlook
    file as an option.

    Believe it or not, I had this problem with the previous reinstall of Vista
    and decided this was going to be way to difficult to figure out and
    reinstalled it yet again. Now I'm back where I was. Is there any solution
    to this problem?

    chunnel, Feb 3, 2008

  2. chunnel

    BluePacific Guest

    Chunnel, I am having a similar problem. My computer simply will not index.
    So I can't use any search functions, nor can I search my email or contacts in
    Outlook. I "rebuild" and the Indexing Options screen just sits there and
    says "0 items indexed" and "Indexing speed is reduced due to use activity".
    I have closed all the programs and it still just sits there and will not

    BluePacific, Feb 4, 2008

  3. chunnel

    chunnel Guest

    I have seen enough people reporting this on various blogs that I have come to
    the conclusion that this is related to a recent Vista update. It appears to
    be a deliberate effort on Microsoft's part to debilitate Office 2003 to force
    a migration.

    chunnel, Feb 4, 2008