Indexing network drives with Windows Vista 64 Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Vista64User, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. Vista64User

    Vista64User Guest

    What version of Windows Vista allow you to do an indexed search on data on
    networked drives ? I am running Windows Vista 64 Home Premium on a Quad Core
    machine, and when I attempt to add a networked drive to the list of indexed
    locations, it doesn't let me. In the HELP, Troubleshooting Problems with
    Searching, it says:

    TOPIC I can't add a network location to the index.
    Only files and folders located on your computer can be added to the index.
    This means that network locations will be searched more slowly than files on
    your computer.

    In other words, it doesn't index the network drives...it has to search in
    real time when you make the request.

    Do I need to UPGRADE my Vista to Windows Vista 64 BUSINESS Premium ?

    Alan Sherman, DPM
    CEO, PRESENT e-Learning Systems

    O 561 869-6699
    C 561 445-3330

    Vista64User, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Vista64User

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I don't see any indexing options available for my home network drive in
    Vista Ultimate x64.
    Neither for one of its folders mapped as drive Z: nor for any of its
    unmapped folders.
    :(
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 29, 2008

  3. Vista64User

    Vista64User Guest

    Thanks, Carlos...this is good information. I'm beginning to think that
    indiexing a network drive requires Windows Vista 64 BUSINESS. I've seen this
    pattern with past Windows Operating Systems. It's been the BUSINESS version
    that is needed to do ANYTHING with network drives.

    I'm actually on a $59 call with MS network support right now...finally go
    them to understand what I'm trying to do. They are researching it.

    I'll let you know...thanks

    Alan

    Vista64User, Jul 29, 2008
  4. Vista64User

    Vista64User Guest

    Maybe you can check one more thing for me, Carlos ?

    Go to the Indexing Options dialog box (I found it by searching in help on
    "add index network drive", select How do I add new files or lcoations to the
    index ?), select Modify, select Show all locations (another box opens up) and
    see if you can Select the Show all locations button in the next Dialog box
    (called Indexed Locations). On my computer, it's greyed out...which is why
    I can't index any network drives. Can you select a network drive here on
    your Vista Ultimate machine ?

    Thanks

    Alan

    Vista64User, Jul 29, 2008
  5. Vista64User

    Katy Pluta Guest

    >Maybe you can check one more thing for me, Carlos ?
    >
    >Go to the Indexing Options dialog box (I found it by searching in help on
    >"add index network drive", select How do I add new files or lcoations to the
    >index ?), select Modify, select Show all locations (another box opens up) and
    >see if you can Select the Show all locations button in the next Dialog box
    >(called Indexed Locations). On my computer, it's greyed out...which is why
    >I can't index any network drives. Can you select a network drive here on
    >your Vista Ultimate machine ?

    Alan,

    Not Carlos :) On my Vista Ultimate the Show all locations button is
    not greyed out but it launches an UAC dialog box, did you turn UAC
    off?

    Katy Pluta, Jul 29, 2008
  6. Vista64User

    Katy Pluta Guest

    >Maybe you can check one more thing for me, Carlos ?
    >
    >Go to the Indexing Options dialog box (I found it by searching in help on
    >"add index network drive", select How do I add new files or lcoations to the
    >index ?), select Modify, select Show all locations (another box opens up) and
    >see if you can Select the Show all locations button in the next Dialog box
    >(called Indexed Locations). On my computer, it's greyed out...which is why
    >I can't index any network drives. Can you select a network drive here on
    >your Vista Ultimate machine ?

    Just got an email from Carlos who is having connection problems. He
    tried this and does not see any network drive to index in the last
    screen...

    Katy Pluta, Jul 29, 2008