    Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.

    IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    > quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    > there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    > index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    > (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    > the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >
    > Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    > last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >

    > IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    Its up to your httpd.conf
    you can set an order, or just the default for the first file it looks for
    in a directory
    ie.
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html index.htm

    HTH
    --
    BOFH excuse #189:

    SCSI's too wide.
    Shane, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    Allistar Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    > quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    > there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    > index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    > (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    > the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >
    > Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    > last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >

    > IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    It depends on the configuration of your webserver as set in
    httpd.conf/apache.conf/apach2.conf for apache depending on your
    distribution.

    I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
    characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    Enkidu Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    > quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    > there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    > index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    > (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    > the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >
    > Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    > last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >

    > IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    It's up to the webserver. Apache and IIS can both be set to serve both.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Robert Cooze

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze
    <> exclaimed:

    >I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    >quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    >there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    >index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    >(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    >the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >
    >Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    >last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >

    >IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    Both work by default in all common web servers.

    The religiously correct extension is .html, however .htm became widely
    used because of Windows' 8+3 filenames (ie every file in Windows did
    have/has got an extension of 3 characters, more by convention these
    days).

    So yeah, short answer, both will work fine.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Robert Cooze

    Peter Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
    > characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

    It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
    predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as you
    like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more dots.
    Peter, Dec 7, 2005
  7. Robert Cooze

    Allistar Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >

    >> I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
    >> characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.
    >>

    > It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
    > predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as you
    > like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more dots.

    It seems odd considering how many webservers run on computers that can only
    do 8.3 names. I can't think of any commercial webservers with that
    limitation.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Dec 8, 2005
  8. In <> Allistar wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:
    >>

    >>> I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it
    >>> only 3 characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

    >> It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
    >> predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as
    >> you like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more
    >> dots.

    > It seems odd considering how many webservers run on computers that can
    > only do 8.3 names. I can't think of any commercial webservers with
    > that limitation.

    Not the servers themselves, but an awful lot of web pages were created
    with OSes or programs which had the old 8.3 name limitations. Naturally
    the names had to be kept short when the pages were saved to the local
    system, and there would be little reason to rename them when they were
    moved to the server.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Robert Cooze

    steve Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    In Apache web server, I think the default file(s) are in a list specified in
    "httpd.conf". The default value is index.html.

    On Linux, that is often found in /etc/httpd/conf, but location may vary by
    distro or specific install.

    Anyone not using Windows will almost certainly be using Apache...and a lot
    of Windows servers will use Apache as well.....as the MS server tends to
    cost money unless it is crippled in some way.
    steve, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    >>quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    >>there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    >>index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    >>(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    >>the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >>
    >>Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    >>last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >>

    >>IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    > Its up to your httpd.conf
    > you can set an order, or just the default for the first file it looks for
    > in a directory
    > ie.
    > DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html index.htm
    >

    > HTH

    Ok thats cool.

    Now The web server I am using (hosting company) I cant get access to
    that part. On my own local system both work fine! It was more to
    optimise my dir strutuer throught the web page so it will work better, I
    have hand typed the pages this time in sections. I have not relied on
    html generating programs at all. I have found this way I am havving
    better relibility with my cross page linking and look of each poage
    being consistent.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 8, 2005
  11. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    > In Apache web server, I think the default file(s) are in a list specified in
    > "httpd.conf". The default value is index.html.
    >
    > On Linux, that is often found in /etc/httpd/conf, but location may vary by
    > distro or specific install.
    >
    > Anyone not using Windows will almost certainly be using Apache...and a lot
    > of Windows servers will use Apache as well.....as the MS server tends to
    > cost money unless it is crippled in some way.

    Thanks All,

    I know I am using a Apache Server with my host's. I have all but got
    mysite converted to the new style It now has to be proofed (Gonna Get
    some People who can actualy spell and write creativily!) to check it over.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 8, 2005
  12. Robert Cooze

    David Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>

    >>> IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web
    >>> server.

    >> In Apache web server, I think the default file(s) are in a list
    >> specified in
    >> "httpd.conf". The default value is index.html.
    >> On Linux, that is often found in /etc/httpd/conf, but location may
    >> vary by
    >> distro or specific install.
    >> Anyone not using Windows will almost certainly be using Apache...and a
    >> lot
    >> of Windows servers will use Apache as well.....as the MS server tends to
    >> cost money unless it is crippled in some way.
    >>

    > Thanks All,
    >
    > I know I am using a Apache Server with my host's. I have all but got
    > mysite converted to the new style It now has to be proofed (Gonna Get
    > some People who can actualy spell and write creativily!) to check it over.

    Yeah, that could be a good idea.
    David, Dec 9, 2005
  13. Robert Cooze

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43972435$>, says...
    > I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    > quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    > there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    > index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    > (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    > the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >
    > Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    > last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >

    > IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    It is up to the server. In Apache you set this using DirectoryIndex,
    which can be put in a .htaccess file or the config file.
    Rob J, Dec 12, 2005
  14. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <43972435$>, says...
    >
    >>I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
    >>quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
    >>there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
    >>index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
    >>(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
    >>the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
    >>
    >>Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
    >>last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
    >>

    >>IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

    > It is up to the server. In Apache you set this using DirectoryIndex,
    > which can be put in a .htaccess file or the config file.

    Found out the server I am using don't care. But the orcon free web
    server it serves up orignal file names like DSCFxxx.JPG, wheres my local
    and normal server provider it serves up dscfxxx.jpg.

    I have my revised site up and running now http://cooze.co.nz most of the
    techinacal stuff is still undergoing a massive rewrite and no longer on
    line.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 12, 2005
  15. Robert Cooze

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:40:49 +1300, Robert Cooze
    <> wrote:

    >I have my revised site up and running now http://cooze.co.nz most of the
    >techinacal stuff is still undergoing a massive rewrite and no longer on
    >line.

    Hi Robert, spelling error on home page existence not existance :)
    Bret, Dec 12, 2005
  16. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:40:49 +1300, Robert Cooze
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have my revised site up and running now http://cooze.co.nz most of the
    >>techinacal stuff is still undergoing a massive rewrite and no longer on
    >>line.

    > Hi Robert, spelling error on home page existence not existance :)

    Thanks,

    Fixed,

    Done.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 13, 2005