    -- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    -- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
    , Sep 20, 2005

  2. Re: Index.dat files, Is it safe to have a program erase *all* ofthem each shutdown?

    wrote:
    > Me again,
    >
    > I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
    > about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
    > won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
    > add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
    > without any problems?
    >
    > I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
    > computer in your bedroom is spying on you!

    I don't know what MS's explanation is for DAT files, but if you stop and
    think for a minute, why would any company want to spy on 1,200,000,000
    individual people? There's no way to put all that data together to make
    sense to anybody but the Gestapo. So what if John Doe visited the Home
    Shopping Network site in April of 2003? I sometimes run CCleaner, which
    in it's normal course of duties automatically nukes this type of file.
    Ain't no thang.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Unk Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:28:13 GMT, Edmonton_Guy () wrote:

    >Me again,
    >
    >I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
    >about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
    >won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
    >add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
    >without any problems?
    >
    >I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
    >computer in your bedroom is spying on you!
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Edmonton_Guy
    >-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    >-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    Yes.
    Unk, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:50:46 -0400 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
    Sheep and then Unk <> wrote :

    >On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:28:13 GMT, Edmonton_Guy () wrote:
    >
    >>Me again,
    >>
    >>I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
    >>about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
    >>won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
    >>add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
    >>without any problems?
    >>
    >>I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
    >>computer in your bedroom is spying on you!
    >>
    >>Thanks again,
    >>
    >>Edmonton_Guy
    >>-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    >>-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    >Yes.

    Ditto.

    Index files should be deleted on a regularly basis as they will be
    re-created anyway fresh and clean by the system :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Sep 20, 2005