    it will work before hand.

    thanks

    chris

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgQnV4dG9u?=, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Hi
    You need a Modem too (unless your Router is a Modem/Router combo).
    Typically a Broadband Internet Connection and Peer to peer Network should
    look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    It can work as a stand alone Wireless only, but it is not advisable.
    See here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#onewire
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Christopher Buxton" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgQnV4dG9u?=

    Lem Guest

    Christopher Buxton wrote:

    > i have a d-link starter pack. it contains a wireless broadband router and an
    > adaptor.
    >
    > does the router need to be connected to a computer or can it stand
    > independantly with just an rj45(telephone line) and power lead connected to
    > it. i will obviously be putting the adaptor into my desktop so it can access
    > the internet through the router.
    >
    > please help, i'm going to buy the starter pack tomorrow so i need to know if
    > it will work before hand.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > chris

    To add a small point to Jack's comments: most (all?) wireless routers recommend
    that for initial setup/configuration they be connected via an ethernet cable to
    one of your computers. After you have the router configured the way you want
    it, you can disconnect the network cable connection between the router and
    computer (so that, for example, the router can be physically remote from any of
    your computers).

    Lem, Dec 8, 2005