  1. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    ....is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.
    Cynicor, Oct 1, 2008

  2. Blinky the Shark, Oct 1, 2008

  3. Cynicor

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    > ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    Like you said CHEAP!
    ray, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    > ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    It's Fried. That should have been expected, eh? :)
    ASAAR, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Cynicor

    Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400 Cynicor <> wrote:

    | ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    If you have a Linux rescue CD or live CD, you can try some steps with Linux
    tools that may help. You'll need an appropriate CF adaptor for the computer
    to do this. An IDE to CF will most likely need to have the CF card plugged
    in at power-up, and stay in until after power-down. A USB to CF will allow
    you to hot plug safely. Steps I would follow to fix this begin with the "dd"
    command completely clear every active sector. Then I would run "fdisk" to
    make a new partition table, after checking that the hardware geometry info is
    at least consistent. That would record the geometry into the MBR correctly.

    I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    , Oct 2, 2008
  6. wrote:
    []
    > I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
    needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
    time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
    lost.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 2, 2008
  7. David J Taylor wrote:

    > wrote:
    > []
    >> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    > If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
    > needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
    > time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
    > lost.

    What's the scoop on PNY? A few years ago they popped up at Fry's, and now
    they seem rather ubiquitous. Reputation good? Reputation bad?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    WTF!!!

    Why would you buy a D300 and then feed it with memory like that, like buying
    a big fat 4WD and putting bald tyres on it and then trying to climb a
    mountain, pretty dumb thing to do I would say.
    Pete D, Oct 2, 2008
  9. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    >> If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
    >> needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
    >> time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
    >> lost.

    > What's the scoop on PNY? A few years ago they popped up at Fry's, and now
    > they seem rather ubiquitous. Reputation good? Reputation bad?

    Probably about the same as Transecend, reasonable price but seem to do the
    job in my experience with them.
    Pete D, Oct 2, 2008
  10. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >
    >> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    > What brand -- one you'd ever heard of before?
    >
    > Blinky loves Fry's.

    Ridata 16GB 233x.

    I love Fry's too. I just have to figure out how to reformat my card now.
    Cynicor, Oct 2, 2008
  11. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400 Cynicor <> wrote:
    >
    > | ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.
    >
    > If you have a Linux

    I'm going to have to stop you right there.
    Cynicor, Oct 2, 2008
  12. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    > []
    >> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    > If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
    > needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
    > time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
    > lost.

    Didn't lose any pix. I pulled everything off it, did an in-camera
    format, and it CHA'd on me. I had not taken it out of the camera since
    leaving the Fry's parking lot, and had taken probably 1000 photos with it.
    Cynicor, Oct 2, 2008
  13. Cynicor wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

    >> If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The
    >> OP needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand
    >> next time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many
    >> pictures were lost.

    > Didn't lose any pix. I pulled everything off it, did an in-camera
    > format, and it CHA'd on me. I had not taken it out of the camera since
    > leaving the Fry's parking lot, and had taken probably 1000 photos
    > with it.

    Glad to hear that, Cynicor. Do other cards continue to work OK?
    Searching D300 CHA with Google produces quite a number of hits, including:

    http://blog.sp-ts.com/public/item/202407

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 2, 2008
  14. Cynicor wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Cynicor wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    >> What brand -- one you'd ever heard of before?
    >>
    >> Blinky loves Fry's.

    > Ridata 16GB 233x.

    Has anyone else in here heard of that name? Not me.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2008
  15. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> wrote:
    >>> []
    >>> If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The
    >>> OP needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand
    >>> next time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many
    >>> pictures were lost.

    >> Didn't lose any pix. I pulled everything off it, did an in-camera
    >> format, and it CHA'd on me. I had not taken it out of the camera since
    >> leaving the Fry's parking lot, and had taken probably 1000 photos
    >> with it.

    > Glad to hear that, Cynicor. Do other cards continue to work OK?
    > Searching D300 CHA with Google produces quite a number of hits, including:
    >
    > http://blog.sp-ts.com/public/item/202407

    Other cards are working fine, so it's not the card holder.

    I put it in a USB card reader, reformatted it FAT32, put it in the
    camera, and it worked fine. I then tried to format it in the camera, and
    it gave me CHA.

    So I took it out, did another quick format (file table only) in the USB
    reader, put it back in the camera, and it worked fine again. I took a
    few photos, moved it back to the USB reader, and I copied 107 MB off it
    in like 6 seconds.

    Then I put it in the camera AGAIN, formatted it, and this time it looks
    OK to go.

    I think I'll just keep using it and risk losing all my photos!
    Cynicor, Oct 2, 2008
  16. Cynicor wrote:
    []
    > Other cards are working fine, so it's not the card holder.

    OK.

    > I put it in a USB card reader, reformatted it FAT32, put it in the
    > camera, and it worked fine. I then tried to format it in the camera,
    > and it gave me CHA.
    >
    > So I took it out, did another quick format (file table only) in the
    > USB reader, put it back in the camera, and it worked fine again. I
    > took a few photos, moved it back to the USB reader, and I copied 107
    > MB off it in like 6 seconds.
    >
    > Then I put it in the camera AGAIN, formatted it, and this time it
    > looks OK to go.
    >
    > I think I'll just keep using it and risk losing all my photos!

    I think you're right to format it in the camera - they may use a slightly
    different standard to your computer (e.g. cluster size). I would find
    your experience disconcerting, and might throw out that memory card. As I
    take JPEGs, and my camera is 6MP, even a 4GB SD-HC card gives me over 2000
    pictures per card, and that would be a lot to lose. For me 2-4GB is about
    the most cost-effective size, so that's what I'll be sticking with.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 2, 2008
  17. Cynicor

    Charles Guest

    wrote:

    >...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    So, take it back to Fry's.
    Charles, Oct 2, 2008
  18. George Kerby wrote:

    > On 10/2/08 1:00 PM, in article
    > , "Blinky the Shark"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Cynicor wrote:

    >>> Ridata 16GB 233x.

    >> Has anyone else in here heard of that name? Not me.
    >>

    > Do a Google. Quite well-known actually.

    Had you heard of them before this? (Note "has anyone else in here heard
    of that name?")

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2008
  19. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:41:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Has anyone else in here heard of that name? Not me.
    >>>

    >> Do a Google. Quite well-known actually.

    > Had you heard of them before this? (Note "has anyone else in here heard
    > of that name?")

    I've seen the name before (for a number of years) in camera
    magazine ads. Just checked with Google and there's a Photokina
    report from 2006 :

    http://www.photokina-show.com/0256/ritek/storage/ridatacompactflash/
    ASAAR, Oct 3, 2008
  20. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400, Cynicor <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

    > So, take it back to Fry's.

    I live in NY. The nearest Fry's is 855 miles away near Chicago. I'm sure
    it'll work fine if I just press the shutter release gently.
    Cynicor, Oct 3, 2008