    dpi.
    Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the camera
    and cannot be changed?

    Beck, May 26, 2005

  2. Beck

    Musty Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
    >
    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary

    newspaper.
    > The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
    > possible, up to 300dpi.
    >
    > But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
    > dpi.
    > Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the

    camera
    > and cannot be changed?

    Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)

    It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image Size).
    Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but the print will
    be higher resolution.

    The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set your
    images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to maintain
    this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300). Typically this
    camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.

    If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

    Thanks
    Musty.

    Musty, May 26, 2005

  3. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Musty wrote:

    > Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)
    >
    > It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image
    > Size). Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but
    > the print will be higher resolution.
    >
    > The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set
    > your images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to
    > maintain this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300).
    > Typically this camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.
    >
    > If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there somewhere in the camera where I can
    set it to 300ppi? I am sorry for the silly questions but I haven't a clue
    about all this. I have looked around the camera and obviously know how to
    change the picture resolutions, but can see nothing relating to ppi.

    Beck, May 26, 2005
  4. Beck

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
    >
    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary newspaper.
    > The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
    > possible, up to 300dpi.
    >
    > But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
    > dpi.
    > Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the camera
    > and cannot be changed?

    It is set in the camera, but the dpi set in the camera is not useful for
    anything anyway. You need photo editing software. Virtually any, even
    cheapest, software has this capability. Did the camera come with no
    such software? Check with your local computer or electronics store.

    This is a critical area for good results, so I'd suggest you pick up a
    good book on digital photography and become very familiar with pixels,
    pixels per inch, resizing, upsampling, etc.

    Don Stauffer, May 26, 2005
  5. Your camera takes pixels...it doesn't give a fig about inches. If you put a
    1000^2 photo in a layout program it puts in 1000^2 pixels. Is the printer
    doing the layout? If so they are not too bright. If the layout is done and
    sent to the printer the layout person is doing something wrong. But, to make
    peace and to avoid having to teach the whole world you can just load the
    image into any editor and change the resolution without interpolating. That
    will not change the number of pixels but will show a different number.

    If we have yet to help its because important information is missing. We
    could help more if we knew what image editor and layout program you are
    using. Is the layout done at the printer? Are there pdfs involved?

    Gene Palmiter, May 26, 2005
  6. Beck

    Mr. Mark Guest

    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
    newspaper.
    > The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
    > possible, up to 300dpi.

    My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Mr. Mark, May 26, 2005
  7. Beck

    Jim Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    > I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
    >
    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary

    newspaper.
    > The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
    > possible, up to 300dpi.

    They are not very expert printers then.

    > But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
    > dpi.
    > Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the

    camera
    > and cannot be changed?

    An image processing program change change the dpi. It is merely a scale
    factor.
    Jim

    Jim, May 26, 2005
  8. Beck

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Beck wrote:

    > Is there anything I can do to increase the dpi

    Others have already explained (tersely) the issues.

    There is a free program called IrfanView that will do what
    you want. Search for it in Google and download it from the
    Irfanview site. There are two files to download, the viewer
    and the plugins collection.

    Irfanview will change the DPI of an image for you, or
    will change the DPI of all images in a directory.

    There are several ways to do it. You can load an image,
    type "I" to get the image properties, and set the DPI
    right there. Or you can click Image, Resize/Resample,
    and set it there. Or you can click File/Batch Conversion,
    click Advanced options, and set the DPI there for all
    images in a directory. If you do images one at a time
    you have to remember to Save the image after setting the
    DPI.

    The printers should be able to handle this without your
    doing this, but I know it's sometimes easier to do the
    work yourself rather than argue with them.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, May 26, 2005
  9. Beck

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Beck" <> wrote:

    >Musty wrote:
    >
    >> Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)
    >>
    >> It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image
    >> Size). Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but
    >> the print will be higher resolution.
    >>
    >> The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set
    >> your images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to
    >> maintain this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300).
    >> Typically this camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.
    >>
    >> If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

    >Thanks for the quick reply. Is there somewhere in the camera where I can
    >set it to 300ppi?

    No.

    >I am sorry for the silly questions but I haven't a clue
    >about all this. I have looked around the camera and obviously know how to
    >change the picture resolutions, but can see nothing relating to ppi.

    These numbers mean absolutely *NOTHING*, unless you tell the program to
    print, without telling it what size to print at; in that case, it will
    determine the output size based on the PPI figure. The image itself
    does not have a PPI; it is only an instruction as to how many of the
    pixels of the file to print at in the space of an inch; you can print at
    any size you want and ignore the PPI.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , May 26, 2005
  10. Beck

    Guest

    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
    > newspaper. The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers
    > would like bigger if possible, up to 300dpi.

    *Provided* you are shooting at the highest no of pixels that the camera
    can supply, the fact that they are tagged with a 72dpi resolution
    indicator (and that is all it is, just a little indicator tag on the
    file) is completely irrelevant. In the interests of better education,
    you should tell them to learn a few basic facts, and simply change the
    flaming dpi tag themselves!

    The only important thing in an image file is the number of pixels it
    contains (let's forget color depth!). So if your image file contains
    1984x1488 pixels it can be used to print a 6x4 at ~300dpi, a 7x5 at
    ~280 dpi, an 11x8 at ~180dpi, and I could go on ad infinitum.. All
    from EXACTLY the same file - simply by telling the printing software
    how big you wish to display it (ie simply by changing that little 'dpi
    tag'.) - the file itself is unchanged.

    Now, given that it is THEM who are determining how big they want to
    print or display the file, it should be THEM who should be doing this.
    If they don't know how, they are sadly incompetent. If that's the
    case, then yes, you could simply change that tag for them in almost any
    image editor or browser.

    But are you sure they are not telling you that your files are too small
    for what they want to print? I sincerely doubt this if it is just a
    local newsrag, but maybe they want to print a really high quality image
    at 300 dpi for a full double-page spread (O;, and you haven't given
    them a large enough file...

    If *that*'s the problem, you have only two options - either buy a
    higher resolution camera, or *resample* the file in an image editor to
    create more pixels, and hope they don't notice that you cheated..

    Hope this helps.

    , May 27, 2005
  11. Beck

    Ryadia@Home Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
    >
    > I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary newspaper.
    > The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
    > possible, up to 300dpi.
    >
    > But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
    > dpi.
    > Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the camera
    > and cannot be changed?

    It seems as if you have the camera set to take low resolution pictures.
    You can change this in the camera's menu options. The images may still
    come out at 72 dpi but they will be sufficiently large that the printer,
    when opening at 300 dpi will be satisfied.

    These cameras came new with a 16 Meg card. That's about 6 pictures at
    maximum (TIFF) resolution so if you can take more than about 10 photos
    on a 16 meg card, you most certainly are not shooting at high
    resolution. Do you have the manual? It tells you how to set it up.
    Otherwise I can post precise instructions.

    --
    Douglas...
    It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

    Ryadia@Home, May 27, 2005
  12. Beck

    Mr. Mark Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > *Provided* you are shooting at the highest no of pixels that the camera
    > can supply, the fact that they are tagged with a 72dpi resolution
    > indicator (and that is all it is, just a little indicator tag on the
    > file) is completely irrelevant. In the interests of better education,
    > you should tell them to learn a few basic facts, and simply change the
    > flaming dpi tag themselves!

    I was wondering if anyone else would see this from my point of view. I
    can't believe a printer would be this clueless. I would seriously find
    someone else to do my prints.

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Mr. Mark, May 27, 2005
  13. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > Your camera takes pixels...it doesn't give a fig about inches. If you
    > put a 1000^2 photo in a layout program it puts in 1000^2 pixels. Is
    > the printer doing the layout? If so they are not too bright. If the
    > layout is done and sent to the printer the layout person is doing
    > something wrong. But, to make peace and to avoid having to teach the
    > whole world you can just load the image into any editor and change
    > the resolution without interpolating. That will not change the number
    > of pixels but will show a different number.
    >
    > If we have yet to help its because important information is missing.
    > We could help more if we knew what image editor and layout program
    > you are using. Is the layout done at the printer? Are there pdfs
    > involved?

    I am sorry I know not much more than that. I only take the pictures, I am
    not responsible for the printing and layout.
    What I do know is these pictures are taken at the highest resolution but are
    reduced to a very small picture of about 4x3inches, then converted to 2
    colour. Not black and white, but could be green and white, or sepia and
    white.
    My post was not very clear, my apologies. I am just confused as to why they
    want the increase when they are going to reduce the images and 2 colour them
    anyway.

    Beck, May 27, 2005
  14. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mr. Mark wrote:
    >> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
    >> newspaper. The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers
    >> would like bigger if possible, up to 300dpi.

    > My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.

    Not my printer, but I shall suggest it to the printers :)

    Beck, May 27, 2005
  15. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > Beck wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anything I can do to increase the dpi

    > Others have already explained (tersely) the issues.
    >
    > There is a free program called IrfanView that will do what
    > you want. Search for it in Google and download it from the
    > Irfanview site. There are two files to download, the viewer
    > and the plugins collection.
    >
    > Irfanview will change the DPI of an image for you, or
    > will change the DPI of all images in a directory.
    >
    > There are several ways to do it. You can load an image,
    > type "I" to get the image properties, and set the DPI
    > right there. Or you can click Image, Resize/Resample,
    > and set it there. Or you can click File/Batch Conversion,
    > click Advanced options, and set the DPI there for all
    > images in a directory. If you do images one at a time
    > you have to remember to Save the image after setting the
    > DPI.
    >
    > The printers should be able to handle this without your
    > doing this, but I know it's sometimes easier to do the
    > work yourself rather than argue with them.

    Thankyou very much Alan, I do have irfanview anyway, I just use it to resize
    images. Never had cause to look around more, but I guess I do now :)

    Beck, May 27, 2005
  16. Beck

    Beck Guest

    wrote:
    >> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
    >> newspaper. The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers
    >> would like bigger if possible, up to 300dpi.

    > *Provided* you are shooting at the highest no of pixels that the
    > camera can supply, the fact that they are tagged with a 72dpi
    > resolution indicator (and that is all it is, just a little indicator
    > tag on the file) is completely irrelevant. In the interests of
    > better education, you should tell them to learn a few basic facts,
    > and simply change the flaming dpi tag themselves!
    >
    > The only important thing in an image file is the number of pixels it
    > contains (let's forget color depth!). So if your image file contains
    > 1984x1488 pixels it can be used to print a 6x4 at ~300dpi, a 7x5 at
    > ~280 dpi, an 11x8 at ~180dpi, and I could go on ad infinitum.. All
    > from EXACTLY the same file - simply by telling the printing software
    > how big you wish to display it (ie simply by changing that little 'dpi
    > tag'.) - the file itself is unchanged.
    >
    > Now, given that it is THEM who are determining how big they want to
    > print or display the file, it should be THEM who should be doing this.
    > If they don't know how, they are sadly incompetent. If that's the
    > case, then yes, you could simply change that tag for them in almost
    > any image editor or browser.
    >
    > But are you sure they are not telling you that your files are too
    > small for what they want to print? I sincerely doubt this if it is
    > just a local newsrag, but maybe they want to print a really high
    > quality image at 300 dpi for a full double-page spread (O;, and you
    > haven't given them a large enough file...
    >
    > If *that*'s the problem, you have only two options - either buy a
    > higher resolution camera, or *resample* the file in an image editor to
    > create more pixels, and hope they don't notice that you cheated..

    Very interesting thankyou. It is a local rag, sort of. It is a voluntary
    newspaper printed in 2 colour. My images are taken at the resolution you
    specified but they end up reducing them to tiny pictures 2 colour anyway.
    So what they print is totally different to what I take anyway.

    Beck, May 27, 2005
  17. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Ryadia@Home wrote:
    > Beck wrote:
    >> I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
    >>
    >> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
    >> newspaper. The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers
    >> would like bigger if possible, up to 300dpi.
    >>
    >> But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can
    >> change the dpi.
    >> Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the
    >> camera and cannot be changed?
    >>

    > It seems as if you have the camera set to take low resolution
    > pictures. You can change this in the camera's menu options. The
    > images may still come out at 72 dpi but they will be sufficiently
    > large that the printer, when opening at 300 dpi will be satisfied.
    >
    > These cameras came new with a 16 Meg card. That's about 6 pictures at
    > maximum (TIFF) resolution so if you can take more than about 10 photos
    > on a 16 meg card, you most certainly are not shooting at high
    > resolution. Do you have the manual? It tells you how to set it up.
    > Otherwise I can post precise instructions.

    They are taken at the highest resolution which is 1984x1488

    Beck, May 27, 2005
  18. Beck

    Mr. Mark Guest

    > > My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.
    >
    > Not my printer, but I shall suggest it to the printers :)

    :)

    A company that is making its living in the print industry these days needs
    to be well steeped in how to use digital files.

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Mr. Mark, May 27, 2005
  19. Beck

    Mr. Mark Guest

    > > My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.
    >
    > Not my printer, but I shall suggest it to the printers :)

    Ah you're providing images for a local paper/news letter and it's their
    printer that is confused - is that right?

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Mr. Mark, May 27, 2005
  20. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mr. Mark wrote:
    >>> My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.

    >> Not my printer, but I shall suggest it to the printers :)

    > Ah you're providing images for a local paper/news letter and it's
    > their printer that is confused - is that right?

    No its me that is confused and is confusing everyone else. Really sorry.
    I take the pictures for local free rag for the village. I send them to the
    person who does the layout for the paper using something like Quark I think.
    They do the layout and send it to the printers. Its not the printers
    grumbling, it is the editor who is very picky and a perfectionist who
    reckons that the pictures need to be bigger even though they will be reduced
    froom the big size I give them anyway.
    Sorry for the lack of info in previous posts, its been a funny old week.

    Beck, May 27, 2005