increase config memory - only 32K on a new 2621xm

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Karnov, May 27, 2004.

  1. Karnov

    Karnov Guest

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know how to increase the configuration memory on a 2621xm? I find
    it very odd that it only comes with 32K of config memory:

    show ver:

    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IK9O3S-M), Version 12.3(6a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc4)
    Compiled Fri 02-Apr-04 19:17 by kellythw

    cisco 2621XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 126976K/4096K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID JAE080411F5 (3760048426)
    M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module(s)
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Whereas an 831 comes with 128K of config memory:

    CISCO C831 (MPC857DSL) processor (revision 0x400) with 44237K/4915K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID AMB08151HCV (2933872860), with hardware revision 0000
    CPU rev number 7
    Bridging software.
    2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    12288K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    What can be done to increase this on the 2621xm?

    thanks
    Karnov
    Karnov, May 27, 2004

  2. Karnov wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to increase the configuration memory on a 2621xm? I find
    > it very odd that it only comes with 32K of config memory:

    I don't think you can. But 'service compress-config' may help if you run
    short.

    Regards,

    Marco.
    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, May 27, 2004

  3. Karnov <> writes:
    >Does anyone know how to increase the configuration memory on a 2621xm? I find
    >it very odd that it only comes with 32K of config memory:
    >What can be done to increase this on the 2621xm?

    You can't.

    But, IMHO, if you have a config that goes over 32k, you probably
    really need a bigger router than a 2600 anyway.

    They are excellent boxes. We've probably deployed a few hundred for
    customers, and they do exactly what they need to, but whenever I've
    seen a config push over the 32k mark and needed 'service compress-config'
    turned on, the router was struggling quite a bit for what it needed to
    do anyway.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, May 27, 2004
  4. Karnov

    Karnov Guest

    In article <40b65f4d$0$17258$>, Doug McIntyre
    says...

    >Karnov <> writes:
    >>Does anyone know how to increase the configuration memory on a 2621xm? I find
    >>it very odd that it only comes with 32K of config memory:
    >>What can be done to increase this on the 2621xm?

    >You can't.
    >
    >But, IMHO, if you have a config that goes over 32k, you probably
    >really need a bigger router than a 2600 anyway.

    ....like a Cisco 831 or 837 with 128K of config memory. ;)

    Karnov
    Karnov, May 27, 2004
  5. Karnov <> writes:
    >In article <40b65f4d$0$17258$>, Doug McIntyre
    >says...
    >>
    >>Karnov <> writes:
    >>>Does anyone know how to increase the configuration memory on a 2621xm? I find
    >>>it very odd that it only comes with 32K of config memory:
    >>>What can be done to increase this on the 2621xm?

    >>You can't.
    >>
    >>But, IMHO, if you have a config that goes over 32k, you probably
    >>really need a bigger router than a 2600 anyway.

    >...like a Cisco 831 or 837 with 128K of config memory. ;)

    Thats probably just left over from the way the Flash blocks work out
    in the memory map on those platforms.

    Doug McIntyre, May 27, 2004