    Thanks

    DAVID
    , Mar 13, 2007

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    Date: 12 Mar 2007 23:37:55 -0700

    > Ever since I adjusted the clock on my PC, which is now the correct DST
    > time... The TIME in my OUTLOOK EXPRESS seems to be off by an hour.

    There are some things you didn't describe at all about how you 'adjusted
    the clock' regarding your timezone offset, and you didn't name your OS
    at all, but by your headers it appears that you are running Opera9 on
    Win98. You also didn't state what timezone you are in, all of which
    would be helpful for troubleshooting your problem.

    For example and to make a point:

    MS doesn't provide a 'fix' for the DST 'problem' for Win98, but such a
    fix is available from 3rd parties. If someone with Win98 does not use a
    3rd party fix, they have to do something about the 'discrepancy' of
    whether or not they are using DST where that is configured in Start/
    Settings/ CP/ DateTime - Time zone [select such as Pacific vs Mountain
    or Arizona] and then check or uncheck Automatically adjust clock for
    daylight saving changes

    So, the person using Win98 is going to have to 'compensate' for the fact
    that Win98 is either going to be wrong about whether or not we are in
    DST or it is going to have to be wrong about what timezone it is in.

    You are currently showing a -0700 offset in your headers, which are
    'correct' in terms of UTC time seen in your headers in the NPD NNTP
    posting date section, but they may not be correct in terms of the actual
    timezone you are in. By that I mean that your headers also suggest that
    you are in NJ, which is not in a -0700 offset timezone.

    Currently -0700 corresponds to the offset for Pacific Daylight time,
    normally at this time of the year the Pacific timezone would be -0800.
    If a Win98 person in the Pacific timezone were configuring their
    Date/Time settings, they would have to lie to Win98 to get things to be
    'right'. They should configure for Arizona time, which is
    currently -0700.

    So, back to your specifics. What time zone are you in? How do you have
    your DateTime setting configured in your Settings? What are you doing
    about Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Are the times for mail in OE server generated or something to do with
    > the settings on my PC?

    OE displays times for mail and news messages in the Sent, Received, and
    Date fields, depending upon what view you are using, in what it
    'perceives' is your 'local' time according to the settings you have
    configured in CP Date/Time, which includes your timezone and information
    about daylight time, right or wrong, truth or fiction.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:
    > Date: 12 Mar 2007 23:37:55 -0700

    > You are currently showing a -0700 offset in your headers, which are
    > 'correct' in terms of UTC time seen in your headers in the NPD NNTP
    > posting date section, but they may not be correct in terms of the
    > actual timezone you are in. By that I mean that your headers also
    > suggest that you are in NJ, which is not in a -0700 offset timezone.

    It turns out that GG posters don't retain their own timezone offset;
    google replaces it with Pacific time, standard or -0800 or daylight
    or -0700 when appropriate. That is the case whether you are in NJ or
    IL or CA or CO. The google headers show everyone [US, I haven't seen
    any other countries yet] posting from Pacific offset times, and there
    are a few seconds difference between the Date stamp and the NPD stamp on
    GG posts.

    Presumably one cannot tell the hardware clock setting for a google
    poster, just as one cannot tell the clock setting for some nntp posters,
    depending on whether or not the nntp newsserver replaces the Date value.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > my PC clock is accurate but all of my email times are off
    > by an hour.

    The best/easiest way to solve the DST/OE problem in Win98 in NJ is to
    'misconfigure' the Time/Date by setting your timezone to Atlantic
    Standard (-0400) and turning off the Automatically adjust clock for
    daylight saving function.

    Then, in the first Sun in Nov, you manually set your timezone back to
    Eastern Standard -0500.

    That way your hardware clock will be correct for EDT -0400 and your OE
    local time will also display correctly in the Date, Sent, and Received
    fields.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 13, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> my PC clock is accurate but all of my email times are off
    >> by an hour.

    > The best/easiest way to solve the DST/OE problem in Win98 in NJ is to
    > 'misconfigure' the Time/Date by setting your timezone to Atlantic
    > Standard (-0400) and turning off the Automatically adjust clock for
    > daylight saving function.
    >
    > Then, in the first Sun in Nov, you manually set your timezone back to
    > Eastern Standard -0500.
    >
    > That way your hardware clock will be correct for EDT -0400 and your OE
    > local time will also display correctly in the Date, Sent, and Received
    > fields.

    Pretty cool trick. One of the guys at work with Win98 did that. Sure, you
    have to remember to reset the timezone twice a year, but it beats paying for
    software.
    WhzzKdd, Mar 14, 2007
  7. Mike Easter Guest

    WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> The best/easiest way to solve the DST/OE problem in Win98

    >> Then, in the first Sun in Nov, you manually set your timezone back

    > Pretty cool trick. One of the guys at work with Win98 did that. Sure,
    > you have to remember to reset the timezone twice a year, but it beats
    > paying for software.

    I looked over the source code for a W98 2007 DST fixer and it didn't
    make any sense to me; so I can't recommend it.

    If the W98 user doesn't do something, then they will run into all kinds
    of problems 4 times a year. First when DST sets in before W98 is ready,
    next when W98 thinks it is /now/ time for DST, then when W98 thinks it
    is time for DST to be over, and finally when it is /actually/ time for
    DST to be over which W98 knows nothing about.

    It would seem that a DST 'corrector' should address itself to when DST
    should start and stop. The only corrector/fixes I have seen don't seem
    to properly address themselves to the basic cause of the problem.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 14, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd Guest

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >>> The best/easiest way to solve the DST/OE problem in Win98

    >>> Then, in the first Sun in Nov, you manually set your timezone back

    >> Pretty cool trick. One of the guys at work with Win98 did that. Sure,
    >> you have to remember to reset the timezone twice a year, but it beats
    >> paying for software.

    > I looked over the source code for a W98 2007 DST fixer and it didn't
    > make any sense to me; so I can't recommend it.
    >
    > If the W98 user doesn't do something, then they will run into all kinds
    > of problems 4 times a year. First when DST sets in before W98 is ready,
    > next when W98 thinks it is /now/ time for DST, then when W98 thinks it
    > is time for DST to be over, and finally when it is /actually/ time for
    > DST to be over which W98 knows nothing about.
    >
    > It would seem that a DST 'corrector' should address itself to when DST
    > should start and stop. The only corrector/fixes I have seen don't seem
    > to properly address themselves to the basic cause of the problem.

    Exactly. I had to prepare the following systems for this issue:

    W2K server
    Netware 6.5 servers
    Groupwise (email)

    Each patch edited the timezone settings or allowed me to edit the timezone
    settings. Why an application purporting to fix a DST issue on W9x would do
    anything but edit the timezone tables is beyond me <g>
    WhzzKdd, Mar 14, 2007