incorrect icons for HTML documents

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFByZW11xb4=?=, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Hi!

    On MS Windows XP Pro. x64 Edition with SP2 and IE7
    I installed MS Office Professional Edition 2003 (with SP2).
    The problem is that icons for HTM and HTML files appear in Windows Explorer as
    generic document icons. In spite of this, they open correctly.

    (On 32-bit version of MS Windows XP Pro. SP2 with IE7 and
    MS Office Professional Edition 2003 I don’t have this problem.
    The icons for HTM and HTML files appear in Windows Explorer as
    "Microsoft Word HTML Documents".)

    But if I do File -> Open in MS Word 2003, the HTM and HTML files have correct
    icons, i.e. of a "Microsoft Word HTML Document".

    Logged on as an administrator I tried to do this:
    Windows Explorer -> Folder Options -> File Types -> select HTM or HTML
    extension -> Advanced -> Change Icon -> "Look for icons in this files" set to
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    or
    "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\wordicon.exe"
    but the icons in Windows Explorer didn’t change.

    The Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 823392
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823392/en-us) relates to a similar issue with
    Windows XP 64-Bit Edition and Office XP with FrontPage 2002, but it doesn't
    provide any solution.

    Does anyone know how to fix this?

    -- rpr. /Robert Premuz/
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFByZW11xb4=?=, Apr 5, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IFByZW11xb4=?=

    Guest

    On Apr 5, 10:54 am, I wrote:

    > On MS Windows XP Pro. x64 Edition with SP2 and IE7
    > I installed MS Office Professional Edition 2003 (with SP2).
    > The problem is that icons for HTM and HTML files appear in Windows Explorer as
    > generic document icons. In spite of this, they open correctly.

    One "solution" to this problem is to use 32-bit version of Windows
    Explorer. It can be run with:
    %windir%\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate
    In the 32-bit version of explorer.exe the HTML icons appear correctly.
    You can also use another 32-bit file manager, e. g. xplorer2
    (http://zabkat.com/).

    It seems that 64-bit Explorer is not compatible with MS Office 2003
    (32-bit application). Other 32-bit applications have similar problems
    on 64-bit Windows.

    My experience with 64-bit Windows is that there are many problems if
    you want to run both 64-bit and 32-bit software on it. The current
    WOW64 subsystem enables running 32-bit applications on 64-bit Windows
    but it does it just partially. It reminds me of multitasking
    capabilities of Windows 3.* or Windows 9x.

    -- rpr. /Robert Premuz/
    , May 18, 2007