    I've changed ports, changed disk brand, checked all the relevant
    properties menus buttons I can find , I'm missing someting?

    John

    John W, Oct 23, 2008

  2. John W

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <48fffcfa$>, says...
    > Installed a new dvd-rom but windows recognises it as dvd-ram.
    > It burns dvd ok but when it come to finalising a cd-rom burn it
    > comes up with the 'incorrect function' message.
    > I've googled myself out.
    > I've changed ports, changed disk brand, checked all the relevant
    > properties menus buttons I can find , I'm missing someting?

    Operating System?
    Drive make and model?
    Full error message?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 23, 2008

  3. John W

    John W Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <48fffcfa$>, says...
    >> Installed a new dvd-rom but windows recognises it as dvd-ram.
    >> It burns dvd ok but when it come to finalising a cd-rom burn it
    >> comes up with the 'incorrect function' message.
    >> I've googled myself out.
    >> I've changed ports, changed disk brand, checked all the relevant
    >> properties menus buttons I can find , I'm missing someting?

    > Operating System?
    > Drive make and model?
    > Full error message?
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    > Duncan sorry, not a good day.

    Winxp sp3 LG DVD Rewriter 20x oem (hl-dt-st dvd-ram gh22np20)

    media type specified cd
    writing media...
    synchronising cache...
    verifying...
    error reading data on disk (sector offset:0x00000000)

    then menu box: Incorrect function
    abort retry ignore

    and a small pile of dud disks

    John W, Oct 23, 2008
  4. John W

    Richard Guest

    John W wrote:

    >> --
    >> Duncan

    >> Duncan sorry, not a good day.

    > Winxp sp3 LG DVD Rewriter 20x oem (hl-dt-st dvd-ram gh22np20)
    >
    > media type specified cd
    > writing media...
    > synchronising cache...
    > verifying...
    > error reading data on disk (sector offset:0x00000000)
    >
    > then menu box: Incorrect function
    > abort retry ignore
    >
    > and a small pile of dud disks

    Based on my recent experiances with optcial drives I would say its
    stuffed. I have had 1 that wouldnt do CD-R out of the box and a couple
    that would do CD-R but not CD-RW.

    Richard, Oct 23, 2008
  5. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Richard" typed:
    > John W wrote:
    >>> Duncan sorry, not a good day.

    >> Winxp sp3 LG DVD Rewriter 20x oem (hl-dt-st dvd-ram gh22np20)
    >>
    >> media type specified cd
    >> writing media...
    >> synchronising cache...
    >> verifying...
    >> error reading data on disk (sector offset:0x00000000)
    >>
    >> then menu box: Incorrect function
    >> abort retry ignore
    >>
    >> and a small pile of dud disks

    > Based on my recent experiances with optcial drives I would say its
    > stuffed. I have had 1 that wouldnt do CD-R out of the box and a couple
    > that would do CD-R but not CD-RW.

    Yeah, they've got so cheap that QC is negligable.

    That said, the fix detailed here (for a stand-alone DVD recorder but works
    for other drives) has saved a few drives for me:

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

    It's also taught me to NEVER allow the finger in the hole (said finger only
    used where needed) to touch that area of the disk.

    Luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2008
  6. John W

    aspir8or Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:36:26 +1300, ~misfit~ propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Richard" typed:
    >>>
    >>> Winxp sp3 LG DVD Rewriter 20x oem (hl-dt-st dvd-ram gh22np20)
    >>>
    >>> media type specified cd
    >>> writing media...
    >>> synchronising cache...
    >>> verifying...
    >>> error reading data on disk (sector offset:0x00000000)
    >>>
    >>> then menu box: Incorrect function
    >>> abort retry ignore
    >>>
    >>> and a small pile of dud disks

    >> Based on my recent experiances with optcial drives I would say its
    >> stuffed. I have had 1 that wouldnt do CD-R out of the box and a couple
    >> that would do CD-R but not CD-RW.

    > Yeah, they've got so cheap that QC is negligable.
    >
    > That said, the fix detailed here (for a stand-alone DVD recorder but
    > works for other drives) has saved a few drives for me:
    >
    > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-

    cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

    > It's also taught me to NEVER allow the finger in the hole (said finger
    > only used where needed) to touch that area of the disk.
    >
    > Luck,

    Hm. I don't have any Panasonic dvd-rws, but I have a ASUS 1814BL which has
    been doing odd things, not recognising blank discs, producing the odd
    coaster etc., and I have a habit of sticking my finger up the hole. When I
    get time and some isopropyl I'll give the spindle a clean, meantime
    refraining from the finger bit.

    --
    Rob
    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the

    aspir8or, Oct 24, 2008