    TIA for any advice.

    --
    cheers

    Warwick, Jul 5, 2009

  2. In message <1y0reaycp787s.2dxluzqoqqvv$>, Warwick wrote:

    > I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd ...

    Why?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 5, 2009

  3. Warwick

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 11:28:13 +1200, Warwick wrote:

    > I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd into my root directory,
    > renamed in format98.com and tried to use it from the command prompt to
    > format a usb drive "format h: \s". It keeps coming up "incorrect dos
    > version". Can this be fixed? HOw?
    > TIA for any advice.

    If you are trying for a USB disk booting into win98 DOS (MSDOS 7.1) then
    you will need the system and command files as well. DOS7.1 is on the web
    as a download and you can work from that or you can format the disk as
    FAT32 using the format utility in your current operating system and then
    use dd in Linux, or one of its various Windows equivalents, to copy a
    downloaded boot-disk image to your USB drive.

    Roger_Nickel, Jul 5, 2009
  4. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 11:37:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <1y0reaycp787s.2dxluzqoqqvv$>, Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd ...

    > Why?

    Beause I read somewhere it was changed for subsequent versions of windows.
    Some guy was here the other day carrying on about booting from a USB stick
    and all the trouble he was having. You said something here the other day
    about not knowing how the OS could tell the difference between one type of
    USB stick and another .... so to be a smart arse I thought I'd try and
    format one using the system switch. In the old days that was all you had to
    do to a floppy or hard drive to make it bootable.

    Warwick, Jul 5, 2009
  5. Warwick

    Enkidu Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd into my root directory,
    > renamed in format98.com and tried to use it from the command prompt
    > to format a usb drive "format h: \s". It keeps coming up "incorrect
    > dos version". Can this be fixed? HOw? TIA for any advice.

    What is 'win98'?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 5, 2009
  6. Warwick

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-05, Warwick <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 11:37:46 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <1y0reaycp787s.2dxluzqoqqvv$>, Warwick wrote:
    >>
    >>> I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd ...

    >> Why?

    > Beause I read somewhere it was changed for subsequent versions of windows.
    > Some guy was here the other day carrying on about booting from a USB stick
    > and all the trouble he was having. You said something here the other day
    > about not knowing how the OS could tell the difference between one type of
    > USB stick and another .... so to be a smart arse I thought I'd try and
    > format one using the system switch. In the old days that was all you had to
    > do to a floppy or hard drive to make it bootable.

    Yes, but there was only one. That said it also needed to be made bootable.

    Gordon, Jul 5, 2009
  7. Warwick

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-05, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Warwick wrote:
    >> I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd into my root directory,
    >> renamed in format98.com and tried to use it from the command prompt
    >> to format a usb drive "format h: \s". It keeps coming up "incorrect
    >> dos version". Can this be fixed? HOw? TIA for any advice.
    >>

    > What is 'win98'?

    The days when Ms Windows was very fat. Ha!

    Gordon, Jul 5, 2009
  8. In message <1qvgf9ytf3j9z$>, Warwick wrote:

    > You said something here the other day
    > about not knowing how the OS could tell the difference between one type of
    > USB stick and another .... so to be a smart arse I thought I'd try and
    > format one using the system switch.

    I'm not sure what the "system" switch does, I think it just sets a flag on
    an entry in the partition table saying that's the "active" partition. This
    has nothing to do with formatting the filesystem within the partition per
    se.

    This "active" business is something needed by Windows to decide which
    partition to boot from, if I recall rightly.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 5, 2009
  9. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:47:43 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <1qvgf9ytf3j9z$>, Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> You said something here the other day
    >> about not knowing how the OS could tell the difference between one type of
    >> USB stick and another .... so to be a smart arse I thought I'd try and
    >> format one using the system switch.

    > I'm not sure what the "system" switch does, I think it just sets a flag on
    > an entry in the partition table saying that's the "active" partition. This
    > has nothing to do with formatting the filesystem within the partition per
    > se.
    >
    > This "active" business is something needed by Windows to decide which
    > partition to boot from, if I recall rightly.

    I think it did a bit more than that. Wrote in Autoexec.bat and I think
    Config.sys? (iirc) and it writes in an MBR with only one partition set
    active.

    Warwick, Jul 5, 2009
  10. On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:22:41 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Warwick wrote:
    >> I think it did a bit more than that. Wrote in Autoexec.bat and I think
    >> Config.sys? (iirc) and it writes in an MBR with only one partition set
    >> active.

    >It did nothing with the above files, but wrote in the hidden msdos.sys
    >and io.sys boot files.
    >
    >http://www.yale.edu/pclt/BOOT/DOS.HTM

    And it makes sure that they are placed correctly so that they are
    bootable. If they were just copied onto the disk, then they could
    wind up too far up the disk, outside the disk geometry that the old
    BIOSes could load boot files from.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 5, 2009
  11. Warwick

    greg Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <1qvgf9ytf3j9z$>, Warwick wrote:
    >
    >> You said something here the other day
    >> about not knowing how the OS could tell the difference between one type of
    >> USB stick and another .... so to be a smart arse I thought I'd try and
    >> format one using the system switch.

    > I'm not sure what the "system" switch does, I think it just sets a flag on
    > an entry in the partition table saying that's the "active" partition. This
    > has nothing to do with formatting the filesystem within the partition per
    > se.
    >
    > This "active" business is something needed by Windows to decide which
    > partition to boot from, if I recall rightly.

    it made the particular drive bootable, by placing the necessary pointers
    and files in the right places

    greg, Jul 5, 2009
  12. Warwick

    El Penguino Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:28:13 +1200, Warwick <> wrote:

    >I copied the format.com file from a win98 cd into my root directory,
    >renamed in format98.com and tried to use it from the command prompt to
    >format a usb drive "format h: \s". It keeps coming up "incorrect dos
    >version". Can this be fixed? HOw?
    >TIA for any advice.

    If you want to boot from a USB stick, look online for the HP USB boot
    key tool. It will format and make bootable as either hard drive or
    removable storage.

    Then you can put dos files on the usb stick as if it was a floppy.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    El Penguino, Jul 6, 2009