Incorrect Directory Properties

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -- Alan --, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. -- Alan --

    -- Alan -- Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to backup some folders I have, by dragging them to my external
    harddrive. There are lots of folders and they contain loads of files. To
    check that they copied over correctly, I want to be able to right click the
    original folder and the copied one and check that the number of files
    contained is the same.

    However, before I have even copied any folders to the external disc, I
    checked that the original folders properties told me the correct number of
    files. It didn't. One particular folder, when I right clicked and went to
    properties said that it contained 10 files and 1 folder. There were
    actually only 5 files and 1 folder. Another example, the properties showed
    18 files in 0 folders. There were actually only 11 files in 0 folders.

    I am using Win XP pro, fully service packed. If it helps the files
    concerned are MP3's music files. I have folder options set to 'Show hidden
    files and folders' so when I manually count I can see everything.

    My main concern is that I want to check that whatever I copied over actually
    made it.

    Any help appreciated

    Alan

    -- Alan --, Aug 18, 2003

  2. -- Alan --

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:15:02 +0000 (UTC), -- Alan -- wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am trying to backup some folders I have, by dragging them to my external
    >harddrive. There are lots of folders and they contain loads of files. To
    >check that they copied over correctly, I want to be able to right click the

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html
    Equalise - synchronise folder trees - make files on a floppy or network
    drive match you hard disk

    http://www.funduc.com/
    Directory Toolkit (v 4.2) A directory and file comparison utility with
    built-in archive and path synchronize functions.

    others
    http://www.tucows.com/system.html
    see the section(s) File Tools etc.

    <snip>

    >checked that the original folders properties told me the correct number of
    >files. It didn't. One particular folder, when I right clicked and went to
    >properties said that it contained 10 files and 1 folder. There were

    <snip>

    Don't see anything on in MS Technet knowledge base articles.

    >I am using Win XP pro, fully service packed. If it helps the files

    <snip>

    That would be SP1/SP1a then, it may help to say.

    Me

    why?, Aug 18, 2003

  3. -- Alan --

    °Mike° Guest

    Try an alternative file manager.

    Turbo Navigator
    http://woundedmoon.org/win32/turbonavigator.html

    2xExplorer
    http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
    http://www.buzzys.net/2xexplorer.html

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:15:02 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhr8jm$g4e$>
    -- Alan -- scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003
  4. -- Alan --

    Janette Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Try an alternative file manager.
    >
    > Turbo Navigator
    > http://woundedmoon.org/win32/turbonavigator.html
    >
    > 2xExplorer
    > http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
    > http://www.buzzys.net/2xexplorer.html
    >

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:15:02 +0000 (UTC), in
    > <bhr8jm$g4e$>
    > -- Alan -- scrawled:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I am trying to backup some folders I have, by dragging them to my

    external
    > >harddrive. There are lots of folders and they contain loads of files.

    > >check that they copied over correctly, I want to be able to right click

    the
    > >original folder and the copied one and check that the number of files
    > >contained is the same.
    > >
    > >However, before I have even copied any folders to the external disc, I
    > >checked that the original folders properties told me the correct number

    of
    > >files. It didn't. One particular folder, when I right clicked and went

    > >properties said that it contained 10 files and 1 folder. There were
    > >actually only 5 files and 1 folder. Another example, the properties

    showed
    > >18 files in 0 folders. There were actually only 11 files in 0 folders.
    > >
    > >I am using Win XP pro, fully service packed. If it helps the files
    > >concerned are MP3's music files. I have folder options set to 'Show

    hidden
    > >files and folders' so when I manually count I can see everything.
    > >
    > >My main concern is that I want to check that whatever I copied over

    actually
    > >made it.
    > >
    > >Any help appreciated
    > >
    > >Alan
    > >

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks guys I will try what you have suggested

    Janette, Aug 18, 2003
  5. -- Alan --

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003
  6. -- Alan --

    -- Alan -- Guest

    Turbo Navigator showed that, although I had 'show system and hidden files
    enabled', there were actually files still hidden. I managed to view them by
    unticking/unchecking 'Hide protected operating system files and folders'
    within folder options. The files concerned were the album art files windows
    media player uses.

    Thanks for that Mike. Perhaps you could help with my new posting - subject
    Briefcase problem.

    -- Alan --, Aug 18, 2003
  7. -- Alan --

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome. I don't see a subject "Briefcase problem"!

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:04:08 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhrigo$7p3$>
    -- Alan -- scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003