inconsistent wireless internet connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWFkY2FwMTUw?=, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. I am at the end of my rope trying to figure out what has gone wrong with my
    wireless connection. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    I am running Windows XP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1100. I am using a Linksys
    wireless-G card to connect to a Linksys router. Everything worked fine; then
    about a month ago, it started having problems.
    What happens is that my internet connectivity disappears, but thinks it's
    still there. The system tray icon still shows a network connection, but
    outlook can't send/receive and web pages won't load.
    When I choose "repair", sometimes it can fix the connection, but sometimes
    it says no networks are in range. Then it will randomly connect later.
    Eerily, this often seems to happen right before I go online to do my
    part-time online teaching job. I keep disconnecting while I am trying to
    teach!
    Here are the things I've tried:
    -traded out for a wireless card known to work
    -checked that the network works for other wireless computers (it does)
    -unplugged my 2.4 GHz phone (purchased about a month before the problems
    started), just in case
    -downloaded a new card driver
    -reinstalled the wireless card through XP instead of with the Linksys
    utility so that there's no "competition" between them
    -adjusted the wireless router settings as recommended on the Linksys site
    -uninstalled and reinstalled any possibly related programs, i.e. the
    interface I use for online teaching
    -checked the Zero Config utility
    -defragged and cleaned up the disk
    -and, run Adaware and McAfee a million times to eliminate any adware or
    viruses causing problems

    As you can see, I've done a lot. My job depends on having a reliable
    computer and I am considering reinstalling Windows XP + all programs. I
    really don't want to, though-- if anyone can suggest other things to try, I
    will be very grateful! Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFkY2FwMTUw?=, Mar 17, 2005

  2. You can try these:
    1. Reboot your router
    Or 2. Update your router firmware.

    If this still does not work, enable the wireless tracing and send the log
    back.

    Open a command line window by going to "Start" --> "Run", type in "cmd"
    To enable logging,type this in cmd window: "Netsh ras set tracing *en"
    log directory is: "%windir%\tracing", so that could be "c:\windows\tracing"
    or where you installed your operating system.
    Send wzctrace.log, back to us.

    Yi Chen [MSFT], Mar 17, 2005

  3. Can you also send these log files as well? eapol.log, netman.log,
    netshell.log, wzcdlg.log
    But do try step 1 and 2 first.

    Yi Chen [MSFT], Mar 17, 2005
  4. Thank you for your help. I have updated the router firmware and rebooted it.
    Things seem OK so far, but I'm not sure yet whether the problem is repaired
    (I often get a good connection for a day or two before the problems start
    again).

    I will post again with wireless tracing log if necessary!

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFkY2FwMTUw?=, Mar 18, 2005