Inconsistent usenet connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've got two desktop computers and one laptop. The laptop and one desktop
    are XP and use Outlook Express for newsreader. The other desktop is Vista
    and uses Windows Mail for reading newsgroups.

    The laptop connects to my newsgroup server (currently
    news.eternal-september.org) perfectly, receiving and sending messages
    without problem.

    The two desktops receive newsgroup messages fine but I cannot send messages
    from them. Initially when the problem arose, I got error messages. After a
    little while, I no longer got error messages. The outgoing messages just
    sat in the Outbox and never went anywhere.

    The only thing I can think of is that it could be my ISP, as I primarily use
    my laptop while traveling. I don't know much about these things, but I'm
    presuming that when I'm on the road, I'm not connecting through my normal
    ISP. If that's so, that might explain the problem. But if that's the case,
    why would my regular ISP allow me to receive usenet messages but not send
    them?

    Is there an alternate explanation I'm overlooking?

    Jim Beaver
    Jim Beaver, Jan 8, 2010

  2. Jim Beaver

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    Jim Beaver wrote:
    > I've got two desktop computers and one laptop. The laptop and one desktop
    > are XP and use Outlook Express for newsreader. The other desktop is Vista
    > and uses Windows Mail for reading newsgroups.
    >
    > The laptop connects to my newsgroup server (currently
    > news.eternal-september.org) perfectly, receiving and sending messages
    > without problem.
    >
    > The two desktops receive newsgroup messages fine but I cannot send messages
    > from them. Initially when the problem arose, I got error messages. After a
    > little while, I no longer got error messages. The outgoing messages just
    > sat in the Outbox and never went anywhere.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that it could be my ISP, as I primarily use
    > my laptop while traveling. I don't know much about these things, but I'm
    > presuming that when I'm on the road, I'm not connecting through my normal
    > ISP. If that's so, that might explain the problem. But if that's the case,
    > why would my regular ISP allow me to receive usenet messages but not send
    > them?
    >
    > Is there an alternate explanation I'm overlooking?
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Dont use OE for newsgroups. Try Thunderbird instead.
    Set up the newsgroup account only on TBird so it wont try and use any
    SMTP info to send messages.

    HTH

    --
    http://www.democracyforamerica.com/
    §nühw¤£f, Jan 8, 2010

  3. Cut and paste the error message here.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Jan 8, 2010
  4. Jim Beaver

    Aardvarkr Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:57:00 -0800, The Real Truth MVP wrote:

    > Cut and paste the error message here.

    Test
    Aardvarkr, Jan 9, 2010
  5. Jim Beaver

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 05:16:20 +0000, Aardvarkr wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:57:00 -0800, The Real Truth MVP wrote:
    >
    >> Cut and paste the error message here.

    > Test

    test
    Aardvark, Jan 9, 2010
  6. Jim Beaver

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim Beaver wrote:

    > I've got two desktop computers and one laptop. The laptop and one desktop
    > are XP and use Outlook Express for newsreader. The other desktop is Vista
    > and uses Windows Mail for reading newsgroups.
    >
    > The laptop connects to my newsgroup server (currently
    > news.eternal-september.org) perfectly, receiving and sending messages
    > without problem.
    >
    > The two desktops receive newsgroup messages fine but I cannot send messages
    > from them. Initially when the problem arose, I got error messages. After a
    > little while, I no longer got error messages. The outgoing messages just
    > sat in the Outbox and never went anywhere.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that it could be my ISP, as I primarily use
    > my laptop while traveling. I don't know much about these things, but I'm
    > presuming that when I'm on the road, I'm not connecting through my normal
    > ISP. If that's so, that might explain the problem. But if that's the case,
    > why would my regular ISP allow me to receive usenet messages but not send
    > them?
    >
    > Is there an alternate explanation I'm overlooking?
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    There have been posts in the alt.free.newsservers group about problems with
    Eternal-September. You don't mention if this is a new problem in a setup
    that has been long working before, or if it is a new setup and has never yet
    worked.
    VanguardLH, Jan 9, 2010