Inconsistant Performance of Movie DVD on Three Computers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JB, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hi,

    I am having problems with commercial DVD movies obtained from my city's
    library.

    I have three computers:

    1.. Homebuilt 2 GHz intel core duo, Geforce 8600GTS graphics, 2GB RAM, XP
    Pro

    2.. HP Slimline s3220n, AMD 5000 dual core, Geforce 6150SE graphics, 2GB
    RAM, Vista SP1,32b

    3.. HP dv2911US laptop, 1.8GHz Intel dual core, Intel Mobile 965 graphics,
    3GB RAM, Vista SP1 32b

    The software I use to test the DVDs is Media Player Classic. This is
    freeware and works as well as any of the HP stuff on systems 2 and 3. I put
    it on all three systems to eliminate the player as a variable.

    System #1 has no problems with any DVD movie.

    System #2 refuses to run some dvds but others run fine. The graphics are
    good on the ones that run. On some DVDs, the display will freeze for a a few
    minutes a half hour into the movie. In one case, it would not run the first
    title but other titles worked ok. (the movie was on three disks). Older
    movies always seem to work well on this system.

    System #3 runs all DVDs but the graphics on some color DVDs exhibit a sepia
    tone in low light scenes and detail is lost. This effect is present on
    portions of the scene, for example, half an actor's face.

    Changing monitor resolution does not fix the problems.

    All software and drivers have been updated. There are no issues with any of
    them beyond DVD movies on #2 & #3.

    Do any of you spot a clue as to what the deficiencies on systems 2 and 3
    might be?

    Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

    Mike
    JB, Jan 2, 2009

  2. On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 00:50:45 -0800, "JB" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am having problems with commercial DVD movies obtained from my city's
    >library.
    >

    >I have three computers:
    >
    > 1.. Homebuilt 2 GHz intel core duo, Geforce 8600GTS graphics, 2GB RAM, XP
    >Pro
    >
    > 2.. HP Slimline s3220n, AMD 5000 dual core, Geforce 6150SE graphics, 2GB
    >RAM, Vista SP1,32b
    >
    > 3.. HP dv2911US laptop, 1.8GHz Intel dual core, Intel Mobile 965 graphics,
    >3GB RAM, Vista SP1 32b
    >

    >The software I use to test the DVDs is Media Player Classic. This is
    >freeware and works as well as any of the HP stuff on systems 2 and 3. I put
    >it on all three systems to eliminate the player as a variable.
    >

    >System #1 has no problems with any DVD movie.
    >

    >System #2 refuses to run some dvds but others run fine. The graphics are
    >good on the ones that run. On some DVDs, the display will freeze for a a few
    >minutes a half hour into the movie. In one case, it would not run the first
    >title but other titles worked ok. (the movie was on three disks). Older
    >movies always seem to work well on this system.
    >

    >System #3 runs all DVDs but the graphics on some color DVDs exhibit a sepia
    >tone in low light scenes and detail is lost. This effect is present on
    >portions of the scene, for example, half an actor's face.
    >

    >Changing monitor resolution does not fix the problems.
    >

    >All software and drivers have been updated. There are no issues with any of
    >them beyond DVD movies on #2 & #3.
    >

    >Do any of you spot a clue as to what the deficiencies on systems 2 and 3
    >might be?
    >

    >Thank you for any helpful suggestions.
    >

    >Mike

    Plug your sepia output system to a DIFFERENT monitor and see if the
    problem goes away. Most displays have temperature settings which differ
    between us and what the UK normally uses. Yours may be set to a
    different setting. The same output can look different on different
    displays, and some video cards allow the adjustment as well.

    I would suspect the player software as to the playback problems. I do
    not know why you have not tried a different player as this is one of the
    common elements you have in a set-up with three different results. That
    is one place that you have not pointed a finger yet.
    Archimedes' Lever, Jan 2, 2009

  3. JB

    JB Guest

    "Archimedes' Lever" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 00:50:45 -0800, "JB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am having problems with commercial DVD movies obtained from my city's
    >>library.
    >>

    >>I have three computers:
    >>
    >> 1.. Homebuilt 2 GHz intel core duo, Geforce 8600GTS graphics, 2GB RAM,
    >> XP
    >>Pro
    >>
    >> 2.. HP Slimline s3220n, AMD 5000 dual core, Geforce 6150SE graphics, 2GB
    >>RAM, Vista SP1,32b
    >>
    >> 3.. HP dv2911US laptop, 1.8GHz Intel dual core, Intel Mobile 965
    >> graphics,
    >>3GB RAM, Vista SP1 32b
    >>

    >>The software I use to test the DVDs is Media Player Classic. This is
    >>freeware and works as well as any of the HP stuff on systems 2 and 3. I
    >>put
    >>it on all three systems to eliminate the player as a variable.
    >>

    >>System #1 has no problems with any DVD movie.
    >>

    >>System #2 refuses to run some dvds but others run fine. The graphics are
    >>good on the ones that run. On some DVDs, the display will freeze for a a
    >>few
    >>minutes a half hour into the movie. In one case, it would not run the
    >>first
    >>title but other titles worked ok. (the movie was on three disks). Older
    >>movies always seem to work well on this system.
    >>

    >>System #3 runs all DVDs but the graphics on some color DVDs exhibit a
    >>sepia
    >>tone in low light scenes and detail is lost. This effect is present on
    >>portions of the scene, for example, half an actor's face.
    >>

    >>Changing monitor resolution does not fix the problems.
    >>

    >>All software and drivers have been updated. There are no issues with any
    >>of
    >>them beyond DVD movies on #2 & #3.
    >>

    >>Do any of you spot a clue as to what the deficiencies on systems 2 and 3
    >>might be?
    >>

    >>Thank you for any helpful suggestions.
    >>

    >>Mike
    >>

    > Plug your sepia output system to a DIFFERENT monitor and see if the
    > problem goes away. Most displays have temperature settings which differ
    > between us and what the UK normally uses. Yours may be set to a
    > different setting. The same output can look different on different
    > displays, and some video cards allow the adjustment as well.<

    Good idea. I'll try that.

    > I would suspect the player software as to the playback problems. I do
    > not know why you have not tried a different player as this is one of the
    > common elements you have in a set-up with three different results. That
    > is one place that you have not pointed a finger yet.<

    Actually I have tried many players: WMP11, two HP players, honestech DVD
    Player, VLC Player etc. I chose Media Player Classic because it can be
    executed without being installed and has never had an issue on my XP system.

    Thank you for your input.

    Mike
    JB, Jan 2, 2009