    of either?

    Thnx,

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, May 24, 2006

  2. (John F Kappler) wrote:
    > My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a geographic number
    > for incoming calls.
    >
    > I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for my callers
    > (customers!), and I know some people get quite wary of 0870 numbers.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a premium rate
    > of either?

    The geographical number will be charged at geographical rates.

    The 0870 number will be charged at "national" rate, which is around 8ppm
    at peak times.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=, May 24, 2006

  3. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John F Kappler" <> wrote in message
    > My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a
    > geographic number for incoming calls.
    >
    > I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for
    > my callers (customers!), and I know some people get quite
    > wary of 0870 numbers.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a
    > premium rate of either?

    If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

    It depends on what network (BT, cable etc.) what the charges are.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  4. C. Señor wrote:

    > The geographical number will be charged at geographical rates.
    >
    > The 0870 number will be charged at "national" rate, which is around 8ppm
    > at peak times.

    That is about the best rate on average. Calls from a mobile will
    generally be 2-3 times this rate. OP should do his contacts a favour and
    opt for the geographical number.

    Colin Forrester, May 24, 2006
  5. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

    >"John F Kappler" <> wrote in message
    >> My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a
    >> geographic number for incoming calls.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for
    >> my callers (customers!), and I know some people get quite
    >> wary of 0870 numbers.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a
    >> premium rate of either?

    >If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    >are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

    How can you say that?

    You don't know that for sure.

    You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    David

    David Floyd, May 24, 2006
  6. John F Kappler

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:17:40 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >How can you say that?
    >
    >You don't know that for sure.
    >
    >You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'
    >
    >David

    What Ivor said is true 0870's are charged quite a lot more and should
    be completely abolished .

    , May 24, 2006
  7. John F Kappler

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

    [snip]

    > > If you have the choice, go for a geographic number,
    > > always. 0870 numbers are charged more and also are not
    > > included in many mobile packages.

    > How can you say that?
    >
    > You don't know that for sure.
    >
    > You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    I did say not included in *many* mobile packages, I did not say all.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2006
  8. John F Kappler

    Tim Bray Guest

    John F Kappler wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a premium rate
    > of either?

    Calling 0870's is a rip off. They were `national rate` many years ago,
    but since then the cost of calls has drastically reduced but 0870's are
    still expensive.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, May 24, 2006
  9. John F Kappler

    wrote:

    >>If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    >>are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.
    >>

    >How can you say that?

    Fairly easily

    >You don't know that for sure.

    I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.

    >You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
    and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
    this does not apply.

    Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
    downright daft.

    , May 24, 2006
  10. John F Kappler

    GwG Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:17:40 +0100, David Floyd <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870
    >>>numbers
    >>>are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.
    >>>

    >>How can you say that?

    > Fairly easily
    >
    >>You don't know that for sure.

    > I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.
    >
    >>You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    > No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
    > and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
    > this does not apply.
    >
    > Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
    > downright daft.

    When I see people seemingly posting in defence of 0870 numbers, it makes
    me wonder if they are the people making money from them.

    GwG, May 24, 2006
  11. John F Kappler

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > >If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    > >are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

    > How can you say that?

    With some confidence, as it happens to be true.

    > You don't know that for sure.

    He clearly does.

    > You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    It is a fact. The vast majority of mobile phone bundles do not include
    08xx. You cannot dispute that.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, May 24, 2006
  12. John F Kappler

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:39:29 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >>>How can you say that?

    >> Fairly easily
    >>
    >>>You don't know that for sure.

    >> I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.
    >>
    >>>You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    >> No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
    >> and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
    >> this does not apply.
    >>
    >> Choosing an 0870 number when there is a geographical alternative is
    >> downright daft.

    >When I see people seemingly posting in defence of 0870 numbers, it makes
    >me wonder if they are the people making money from them.

    No one in their right mind should be defending the use of 0870's
    unless they are pocketing earnings from such numbers .

    , May 24, 2006
  13. John F Kappler

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:40:58 +0100, Jon <>
    wrote:

    > declared for all the world to hear...
    >> >If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    >> >are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.

    >> How can you say that?

    >With some confidence, as it happens to be true.
    >
    >> You don't know that for sure.

    >He clearly does.
    >
    >> You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    >It is a fact. The vast majority of mobile phone bundles do not include
    >08xx. You cannot dispute that.

    I just do not know why some pople have to be so picky about these
    things hell someone only needs to spell a word wrong and some people
    start throwing the toys out of the pram.

    , May 24, 2006
  14. On Wed, 24 May 2006 18:59:43 GMT, (John F
    Kappler) wrote:

    >My VOIP provider offers both an 0870 number and a geographic number
    >for incoming calls.
    >
    >I'm not sure what this means in terms of call charges for my callers
    >(customers!), and I know some people get quite wary of 0870 numbers.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me whether my callers will be charged a premium rate
    >of either?
    >
    >Thnx,
    >
    >JohnK

    Thank you all for your replies - didn't mean to start a fight!

    Geographic it will be then!

    JohnK

    John F Kappler, May 25, 2006
  15. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

    >"David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    >> In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

    >[snip]
    >
    >> > If you have the choice, go for a geographic number,
    >> > always. 0870 numbers are charged more and also are not
    >> > included in many mobile packages.

    >> How can you say that?
    >>
    >> You don't know that for sure.
    >>
    >> You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    >I did say not included in *many* mobile packages, I did not say all.

    My apologies

    David

    David Floyd, May 25, 2006
  16. John F Kappler

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 24 May 2006, writes
    >On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:17:40 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>>If you have the choice, go for a geographic number, always. 0870 numbers
    >>>are charged more and also are not included in many mobile packages.
    >>>

    >>How can you say that?

    >Fairly easily
    >
    >>You don't know that for sure.

    >I can't say if he does, but I certainly do know that.
    >
    >>You ought to have 'may not be' instead of 'are not'

    >No, what he said was completely correct: 0870 numbers are charged more
    >and not inclusive in many mobile packages. In fact there are few where
    >this does not apply.

    That is quite correct as I and my family have O2 packages which include
    0870. I DO NOT condone the use of 0870 and never ring them, even using
    my O2 facility (unless it is absolutely necessary and I haven't found an
    alternative, and that goes for 0845 too)

    David Floyd, May 25, 2006